Studiolive 32Ai, 24Ai and 16Ai Consoles with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote Ai, and QMix Ai
1 post
Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Apologies in advance if this is not the right forum for this question - in that case, suggestions where to move this post will be appreciated.

A bunch of us here are trying to experiment with Presonus Studio Live 32.4.2 AI mixer (datasheet: https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/downloads/products/pdf/PreSonus_StudioLive_32.4.2AI.pdf), and Ableton Live.

The Presonus mixer has a FireWire connection to a Mac OSX computer - and in addition, there is another cable going to the computer, from a slot to the left of the S/PDIF output port on the back panel of the Presonus mixer (after double-checking, it turns out this is an Ethernet connection; so it is probably the default option card for the mixer, that provides these slots - since the Ethernet port is just marked with "Control").

As an example, let's say that in Ableton Live I have just two loops, both of them stereo: let's say, "drums loop" and "bass loop".

The Presonus mixer already appears as a soundcard to Ableton Live, and that part is fine: when I try to choose an output device in Ableton Live for either of the loops, I can choose "Audio to": "Ext Out", and then I get a list below, that either shows linked channels (say, "1/2", "3/4" ...) which then maps the two stereo channels to the chosen fader pair, which works fine. However, after the linked channels (which end with "31/32"), the list continues with single channels ("1", "2", ... "32"), and these single channels have not been explored in this setup so far. In any case, below the channel list there is a "Configure..." button, that opens Ableton Live preferences, which show that the Audio Device has Driver Type: CoreAudio, and both Audio Input and Audio Output Device are of type "Presonus FireStudio (48 In, 34 Out)".

Once these two loops in Ableton Live are split to their individual channels (say, "drums loop" on "3/4", and "bass loop" on "5/6"), then I can move the respective faders on the Presonus, and they fade/change the volume all right. The problem is, if we want to make a live recording of the loops being controlled by the faders, the only option we have so far is to record the mixed output as audio - in which case, we cannot edit mistakes in fader positions afterwards.

So our question is: is it possible to map a single Presonus fader to the volume of a single (stereo or mono) loop in Ableton Live, and then have Ableton Live record the digital fader positions as a separate volume control control track (while Ableton Live continuously plays the loops, as it usually does when recording)?

(In that case, we could edit out errors in the fader controlled volumes of the loops in the live recording, and finally export a stereo master mixdown directly from Ableton Live.)

Thanks in advance for any hints/answers!

EDIT: found this document: https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/downloads/products/pdf/StudioLive_Series_III_HUI_DAW_Control_Addendum_EN_25032019.pdf:

2 Getting Started
2.1 Controlling your DAWStudioLive™ Series III
Studio One HUI DAW Addendum
2.1.3 Setting up your Mixer in Pro Tools

The HUI Control Emulation mode has been optimized for use with Avid Pro
Tools software. While also compatible with any DAW that supports the HUI
Control protocol, performance may vary. Because of this, PreSonus does
not recommend HUI Control Emulation for use with any other software.
2. Create one HUI device under MIDI Controllers.
3. Set the Receive From and Send To menus to “UCNET
MIDI StudioLive Main.” Set #Ch’s to 8.

... where https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Use ... e_Protocol notes:

The HUI protocol was created jointly by Mackie and Digidesign in 1997 for Mackie's Human User Interface (HUI), the first non-Digidesign hardware control surface for Digidesign’s Pro Tools
In 2003, the Mackie Control Universal (MCU) protocol was introduced, combining together functionality from Mackie Control, Logic Control and HUI into a single protocol.[10] DAWs which support MCU (in addition to those which support HUI) include Ardour,[11] Ableton Live, Studio One, Cubase, and Reason.

... and also this video: PreSonus - StudioLive Series III DAW Mode for Logic Pro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSp0ijYOHvY

So, I guess Series III Presonus Mixers do allow for DAW Mode/HUI control, which should then allow for direct control of Ableton Live parameters. However what we have is an AI Series Presonus Mixer; and while we don't really need the motorized faders, I haven't been able to find HUI control or UCNET mentioned in documentation related to Presonus Studio Live 32.4.2 AI ...

1 post
Page 1 of 1