Studiolive 32Ai, 24Ai and 16Ai Consoles with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote Ai, and QMix Ai
15 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello all,

I am new to the forum here and I have a couple questions about the StudioLive 32.4.2.

I am the co-director of sound at my church and we are looking into purchasing the StudioLive 32.4.2 to replace our analog Crest board. Here are a couple of questions that I have:

1. When using the Aux sends for In-Ear Monitors, can I program effects to go to those sends that are different from what is going to the front of house? Compressors, Limiters, Reverb, etc.

2. Does anyone have any issues with the Q-Mix to control their own mix in their monitors? Is this easy to use for everyone (especially singers)?

3. When using Capture to record a rehearsal, can I stop capture, play what was played back and start recording again where it left off? Or do I need to start another capture project? Note: I'm not using capture for studio style recording just for rehearsals as a teaching tool.

4. Since we are a church, we do not have a lot of down time. From church service on Wednesday night to a Friday night rehearsal, how hard is it to set up in that time period (The board and capture)? I would need this ready to go for rehearsal on a Friday night.

5. When the board is powered down and turned back on, do all of the settings and effects recall to what they were when it was powered down or do I need to load them again?

Thank you all in advance,
John Bovinette
Kings Road Fellowship

John Bovinette
Kings Road Fellowship
by Karyn on Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:50 am
Hi John,

1) each aux has it's own gate, compressor, limiter, and EQ just like the channels. There are a total of 4 EFX (2 reverb, 2 delays) which you can assign anywhere. So you could have some reverb and delay on the vox going to the mains and a different reverb and delay on the vox going to the auxs.

2) It works great and is very easy to use. Even drummers could use it!!

3) Yes. And you can arm all tracks to record with a single mouse click, and re-config the desk for playback with a single mouse click. It'll do exactly what you're asking.

4) It took me longer to get my new 32ai out of the box than it takes to connect it all up. The only issue I can think you may face is the firewire in your laptop/computer. Make sure it's on the approved list and you should be fine. Setup is genuinely only 20 mins max if nothing goes wrong. (and you have the right cables/connectors/adaptors/etc)
As with any new equipment, you'll have to allow yourself time to learn it and setup your mix and eq speakers and monitors,etc... that will take as long as it takes, depending on the competence of your sound engineer. The 32ai itself is a breaze.

5) Yes. I mean, yes it remembers everything. But save your standard setup as a preset anyway. That simply good practice.

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by SwitchBack on Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:58 am
Hi and welcome,

Truly, all your questions can be answered positively.

1. The mixer has 4 effects channels you can mix in with any combination of outputs, at any level.
2. Download the free app from the Apple app store (search for PreSonus) and try it out in demo mode. Really easy!
3. Yes. Capture is basically a multi channel recording machine. Doing what you suggested will produce multiple WAV files per track but those you can easily consolidate into one file per track.
4. It is all in the preparation, but as digital mixers come I dare say of all those the SL mixers are the easiest to use. Read up on them, view a couple of video's and you should be fine. Also check out the integrated Smaart tools. Amazingly quick way to improve sound!
5. Yes, all settings are stored automatically every 5-10 seconds or so. So unless you switch off immediately after changing something you'll be fine. Better still, you can manually store 'scenes' for different occasions for one button recalls of all the boards settings.

Hope that helps ;)
by jbovinette on Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:12 am
Karyn,

Watch it! I am the drummer!!! :lol:

I'm glad to hear that everything I thought was...is.

Does anyone integrate Waves Audio MultiRack at all with the 32.4.2?

John Bovinette
Kings Road Fellowship

John Bovinette
Kings Road Fellowship
by matthewgorman on Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:14 am
jbovinette wroteKaryn,

John Bovinette
Kings Road Fellowship

BUSTED!!!!

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by Karyn on Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:18 am
matthewgorman wrote
jbovinette wroteKaryn,

John Bovinette
Kings Road Fellowship

BUSTED!!!!

Ooopps! :oops:

I forgot there are drummers here that have the forums read to them....

*runs away*

Karyn

Dante Level2 certified.
by jbovinette on Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:33 am
If I had the AI Remote setup on an iPad by my drums, will I be able to see the changes that the sound man makes on the board? Reason why is because our sound man like to "tinker" with everything.

John Bovinette
Kings Road Fellowship
by Karyn on Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:37 am
Yes, you can.

Karyn

Dante Level2 certified.
by gadget69 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:53 am
We, the sound guys, are like that... :mrgreen:

Tower:
Asus Crosshair V formula Z motherboard
AMD FX9590 4.0 GHZ 8 CORE CPU
16GB 2400MHZ RAM CAS8
512 GB SSD PRIMARY HDD
1.5 TB THOSHIBA 128MB 7200 RPM DRIVE
2.0 TB WD BLACK 256 MB 7200 RPM DRIVE
AMD R9-290 4GB VIDEO CARD
Windows 7 P sp1
2006 Imac
Lenovo thinkpad Z565 upgraded with a Quad core processor, SSD and maxed out 8GB ram
Win7 Sp1
Mac 2006
Ipad 3,
Ipad 4,
Ipad Mini
Iphone 6s+
Audiobox USB
1818VSL
i2
Studiolive 2442Ai
SL 16.4.2 X 2
Studio 1/3pro
Sony Sound Forge 10
Engineer / producer
Owner Twilite Zone productions
Owner Studio G
by jbovinette on Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:13 am
Yeah but "tinker" in a way to make things sound better will ya... 8-)

John Bovinette
Kings Road Fellowship
by jbovinette on Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:51 am
Has anyone integrated the Presonus to the Waves Audio MultiRack?

John Bovinette
Kings Road Fellowship
by sjc193 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:36 pm
jbovinette wroteHas anyone integrated the Presonus to the Waves Audio MultiRack?

I have not, but I know it is possible and people do it. The power and RAM of the computer will be important as latency can increase if the computer isn't up to the task. But, yes, it's totally possible to do.

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by FinalSaga on Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:57 pm
Hey

Shush Gadgeman heheh no we don't
/me whispers: What they don't know don't hurt
Remember he's a drummer j/k ;)
Kidding aside heheh

How do you mean about the capture ?! - If it is track after track after track - no probs what so ever
If it is like in the middle of a song.. I think I would to Studio one on that
Comes with the mixer aswell of course

Ch33rs
Saga

Studio One v2.x 3.x 4.x-

Windows 10 Ultimate 64Bit
AMD Ryzen (3.4Ghz) and 32gigs RAM
Graphic: Radeon 5700XT

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
:)
by jbovinette on Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:22 pm
Ok here is another question. If i were to play back the capture file, will the capture fill play back through the auxes like it was just played or does it come though just the main outs? Reason why I ask is if the member have to take off their IEM's to listen to it or can they just hear in their IEM just like it happened?

John Bovinette
Kings Road Fellowship
by Karyn on Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:38 pm
There is a magic button in Capture that switches all the channel inputs to the digital returns so when you hit 'play' it's as if everyone was still singing/playing.

Keep your IEMs in and you'll hear what your heard while you were recording.

Alternatively... Tracks 33 and 34 in Capture can record a stereo pair of your choice from either the mains, auxs, subs, tape out, fx sends, talkback... If you record the mains you could return only that and send to to everywhere so people could hear the full mix in both the mains and in their IEMs...

It's very flexible.

Karyn

Dante Level2 certified.

15 posts
Page 1 of 1