Studiolive 32Ai, 24Ai and 16Ai Consoles with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote Ai, and QMix Ai
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi Guys!
As it appears that I can't adapt my new Dell Inspiron 14 7000 Laptop to FireWire, (even with converters?), is there an I/O Card for USB or USB C for my trusty SL 24.4.2 Ai?
I only use it for Recording.
Cheers!

Presonus Studio One 6 Pro (always the latest update!) Presonus Sphere Member, Presonus StudioLive 24.4.2.Ai. Too many Waves Plugins. Melodyne 5 Pro, EZ Drummer 2, EZ Keys, Active Drummer, Active Keys. Notion 6. Ozone 10. Ozone Suite including RX 10 etc.
Owner: Footloose Recording Studios. NSW. Australia
by SwitchBack on Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:30 am
Short answer: No.

With that laptop you seem out of luck. I think that only a laptop with an express card slot offers some chance of success these days, when complemented with a PreSonus compatible firewire card. And even then you may have to downgrade to an OS compatible with the last drivers PreSonus issued for the AI mixers.

And before you consider opting for a thunderbolt interface instead: The TB port on your new laptop only supports DP and power but not PCIe as required for a thunderbolt audio interface.
by kaygeeeff on Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:35 pm
Hi Switchback!
I was afraid that was going to be the answer! :cry:
Thanks for confirming it though!
My Studio in down the back of the Property and I was hoping to record to the Laptop and then bring it back up to the mixing room in the house.
Looks like I'll have to set up a PC in the Recording room to use the SL 24.4.2 to a large USB external Drive and take it back up to the house to mix via the Laptop.
That should work OK?
Not sure if I'll need to "package" everything but will have to see what works best!
Thanks again!

Presonus Studio One 6 Pro (always the latest update!) Presonus Sphere Member, Presonus StudioLive 24.4.2.Ai. Too many Waves Plugins. Melodyne 5 Pro, EZ Drummer 2, EZ Keys, Active Drummer, Active Keys. Notion 6. Ozone 10. Ozone Suite including RX 10 etc.
by SwitchBack on Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:30 am
Yes that should be fine, provided that the drive and the USB port are fast enough for multi-track recording. You can use Capture for recording and then open the Capture session in S1.
by kaygeeeff on Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:54 pm
Hi Switchback!
Taking another tack! I also have a non Ai 16.4.2.
Given that it would require professional attention, would it be possible/practical to modify the I/O card from Firewire to USB C :?: :?:
Cheers
Ken

by SwitchBack on Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:23 pm
I'd say no.

FireWire isn't just a connector or an interface but it's a protocol too, with some properties incompatible with any form of usb. That's not something you can fix just by modifying the I/O card even extensively. If even possible it would also require the mixer's firmware to be rewritten, and the UC driver.
by kaygeeeff on Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:10 am
Hi again Switchback!
Sincere apologies for not acknowledging you last post earlier!
I'm going use a dedicated PC in the Recording Room and save all Files to a 4tB SSD external and bring it back up to the Mixing Room in the house.
Both PC's will have additional Back Up Drive so, all should be fine!
Once again, apologies for missing you latest reply and, many thanks for you guidance!

by SwitchBack on Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:20 am
No worries :)

8 posts
Page 1 of 1