Studiolive 32Ai, 24Ai and 16Ai Consoles with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote Ai, and QMix Ai
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have not experimented deeply with using FX to provide FX to AUX buses 1 and 2 of our 24.4.2 AI, but in my initial setup, l was able to get a reverb to show up in the main mix in stereo, but it was difficult to tell if the FX return I was listening to was stereo in AUX 1 and 2. When I solo'd the main outs it was clear that the reverb was stereo. What is the correct way to return the FX bus to provide stereo to AUX1 and 2, which I am using for a video feed.

Thanks,
Don
by wahlerstudios on Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:10 pm
When Aux 1 and 2 are linked, "Aux Flip Mode" will give access to the second layer with the FX Returns. If I remember it right, you'll need to hit "Mix" two times. Then check the "Mix|Pan" button of Aux 2. If Pan is set to center, FX Returns will also be in mono... ;-)

Attachments
sl2442ai.jpg
by donkennedy on Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:40 pm
I followed your directions and went back over the documentation and was able to duplicate what you informed me. The only thing I wasn't sure about was whether or not I could get stereo with a single FX bus using Aux 1 and 2 stereo linked. I know I could do a 'true stereo' setup by panning one FX instance to one side and another FX instance to the other, but I didn't see a way to get stereo from a single FX instance using the panning method you (and the documentation) described.

Thanks for the help!
Don
by wahlerstudios on Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:38 am
I don't know if I understand your question, but I think this will help to understand "what is doing what". FX Sends are ALWAYS mono, while FX Returns are ALWAYS stereo. The AI and classic mixers had reverbs (stereo) and delays (mono or stereo), so you should basically hear stereo effects in linked aux mixes. I don't think there was the option to "pan" effect returns or change anything about the stereo image. The Series III mixers definitely do NOT have this option. And of course, effect returns will be mono in mono aux mixes, but I think that's self-explanatory.
by donkennedy on Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:51 pm
I was responding to your comment (and my interpretation of the docs) that the return to AUX 1 & 2 joined, where you said that using the Send/Pan control on AUX 2 would be mono if the pan control was centered. I noticed that there was a traditional left/right pan when I used that control, and I thought from that the return might be mono only and panned in the stereo field. Honestly, the way linked channels show stereo panning on this mixer is a little confusing to me.

Thanks again,
Don

5 posts
Page 1 of 1