Studiolive 32Ai, 24Ai and 16Ai Consoles with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote Ai, and QMix Ai
6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi.

Please forgive me for the likely unnecessary wordiness. I wish to explain my situation clearly as I am typically very confused by the answers I see on this forum.

I am an owner of a StudioLive 32.4.2 as well as Studio One 3 of many years. I recently moved to a more convenient desktop setup for recording. Previously, I used a Macbook for recording, in which Studio One 3 allowed me to select a separate recording device and playback device. I was a novice and would use the StudioLive as my recording device and a simple USB headphone amp as my playback device. This worked perfectly.

However, I understand that on my desktop, I only have the option for one audio device. I have set this to be the StudioLive. I wish to be able to record input from my StudioLive, while at the same time, running the firewire back from my computer to the StudioLive, which will then transmit the audio feed from my DAW into my headphones, monitors, and PA system, all of which are running out of my mixer.

My specific question is this:

If my Main Output in Studio One is routed to channels 1 and 2 on my mixer (which are in use by microphones, if that is relevant), where do I plug all of my equipment in to hear playback? Do I need to turn on the digital return button?

Any help would be massively appreciated. It took me a full day to figure out how to get my mixer working properly in my DAW on the input side, which may give you an idea of my knowledge. Please answer in simplest and most descriptive language possible. You cannot dumb it down too much.
by wahlerstudios on Sun May 10, 2020 1:00 pm
There are two concepts how to play back tracks from Studio One to the mixers:

1) You can play back each track to its channel. Just press the Digital Button on each channel (located below 48V). Studio One must have routed the outputs of all tracks to the channels (check I/O settings).

2) Studio One can send its Main Output to the mixer via "2 Track In", which is located in the section above SUB2. Just press the Digital Button...

I am not sure anymore how Studio One routes the Main Output to the mixer. My AI times are gone for a long time. Maybe you should check the manual, but channels 1+2 are definitely not the right place as returns of the Main Mix.

Hope this helps.
by jameseubanks on Sun May 10, 2020 1:01 pm
Update:

I still have NO clue how it works when routing outputs to Channels 1 and 2.

However, I routed my Main Out on Studio One to go to the Twotrack L and R. This is the only option I had besides routing to one of my 32 channels. I did this, plugged my headphones into one of the main outs, turned on the digital return button for the Twotrack channel, and voila! It works, it just seems kinda wrong.

I'd like to be able to run my headphones out of one of the AUX sends and still be able to hear my DAW, but I do not know how to configure this. It only works with the main outputs.
by jameseubanks on Sun May 10, 2020 1:04 pm
wahlerstudios wroteThere are two concepts how to play back tracks from Studio One to the mixers:

1) You can play back each track to its channel. Just press the Digital Button on each channel (located below 48V). Studio One must have routed the outputs of all tracks to the channels (check I/O settings).

2) Studio One can send its Main Output to the mixer via "2 Track In", which is located in the section above SUB2. Just press the Digital Button...

I am not sure anymore how Studio One routes the Main Output to the mixer. My AI times are gone for a long time. Maybe you should check the manual, but channels 1+2 are definitely not the right place as returns of the Main Mix.

Hope this helps.

Interesting!

The 2track option definitely works, despite seemingly limiting my options with where I can plug in my speakers and whatnot.

If I turn the digital return button on for each individual channel, I can no longer hear the active instruments going in.

Funnily enough, I was reading one of your replies yesterday regarding inputs and it was super helpful!
by wahlerstudios on Sun May 10, 2020 1:04 pm
I think the auxes also have a "2 Track In/Digital Return", but I don't remember where it was located.
by wahlerstudios on Mon May 11, 2020 11:22 am
The "Digital Return" button is an either or. They are needed when you want to play tracks back to the mixer. If you want to listen to the incoming audio sigmal, the "Digital Buttons" must be off.

6 posts
Page 1 of 1