Studiolive 32Ai, 24Ai and 16Ai Consoles with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote Ai, and QMix Ai
9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello, I have a 16.4.2.1 and the presets seem to have gone whacky on me. Some drum and vocal names are together and many are missing altogether.

Which download would restore my presets?

I tried pulling in an old scene but that didn't help.

Also, is there a place where I can download more presets?

Thanks,
Dave
by bpierce on Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:35 am
by wahlerstudios on Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:05 am
Presets are part of the firmware, so you need to do a Firmware Recovery or Firmware Reset. My SL AI times are too long ago, so I don't remember how it was called exactly. Just install the latest firmware on your mixer and the presets will be back. It's wise to save your scenes on a computer before, because they might get lost. You find the firmware in your PreSonus account.

There is a scene installed on your mixer called "Zero Out", which can not be overwritten. Recalling this scene sets your console back to the factory settings (how PreSonus has intended everything to work). It is recommended to recall this scene often and not to use own scenes too much. If you start a new project, recall the Zero Out scene and start from there. You can also create/store your own modified Zero Out scene.

It is always said that you should use "matching firmware and software", but if you are using FireWire, you better stay with UC Control/Surface 1.8. UC Surface 2.x has a display problem with FireWire signals. More information about downloads can be found here: https://www.presonus.com/products/Studi ... /downloads.

AFAIK there is no source for more and other presets. The presets are meant to stimulate your creativity and make you develop your own presets. But using presets (as well as plugins) does not mean to do it "right" or that the sound becomes "good". Generally the use of equalizers indicates, that there is something "not optimal" in your sound system. The preamps of your console sound great, so what do you need to add...?

(I see the post of benpierce, so this might add some more aspects to the question. I leave my answer as it was written)
by iamdave on Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:33 pm
So I downloaded the firmware and installed via https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... tory-Reset

the firmware now reeds version"SL 1.0.9194

But none of the presets are back. Same messed up ones. Goofy ones like guitar male. Like it's taken some preset names and intertwined them with others. Vocal and guitar etc.

Dave
by wahlerstudios on Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:01 am
There has been an firmware update lately, but if you want to don't want to see the "FireWire display lag" on your computer, you should stay with the best working configuration, which was

* AI Console Firmware ­ v9194
* UC 1.8 (Mac/PC) ­ 1.8.0.38751
* UC Surface (iOS) ­ 1.8.0.38751

The old files are available in your PreSonus account. If you have updated your iPad already, you have to see what works and what not. UC 2.9 might still be compatible with firmware v9194. I can't check this, so it's a guess.

Chaos in presets means that you haven't updated your mixer for a long time and that the "gap" between the firmware versions is now too big. It's the same for the UC versions, because there have been several drastic changes in the history of firmware and software. You need to do the factory reset two or even three or four times. This is NOT a firmware "upgrade", it is a complete rebuilt of the heart of your mixer, wiping out any information stored on your mixer.

Now that you have done one factory reset already, all your own scenes and presets should be gone. If you have saved them on computer or iPad, I would recommend to NOT send them back to the mixer, because they might be corrupt. It's better to start "fresh" after the factory resets have been successful.

Hope this helps.
by iamdave on Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:49 pm
So I tried that and I have the same result. I used version v9194 you mentioned. Should I have used a different version first?

Thanks,
Dave
by wahlerstudios on Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:33 pm
No, there is no need to go back to an earlier firmware version. Firmware v9194 allows using UC Surface 1.8 and UC Surface 2.x.

I can't believe that nothing has changed. A factory reset (with the option card pulled out) is a real brutal reset. There is nothing left from any scene or preset you have saved before and there should be 50 fresh presets in the Channel Presets Library, starting with "01 DRUM: Kick 1" and ending with "50 VOX: Speech 2". In the mixer's display they show up as "P1 DRM Kick 1" and "P50 VOX Speech2 ". In the scenes should only be the "Zero Out (Board Reset)" scene, all other places should be empty.

Do you see the presets listed in UC Surface on your computer and do you happen to have an iPad or tablet? What does UC Surface on the tablet show as presets? UC Surface always "asks" the mixer for presets stored in the firmware. If the presets do not show up as described, the firmware upgrade has gone wrong, so you should use a different stick. If it's possible to do the upgrade via FireWire, this would be an even better way. A firmware upgrade over network/Internet should be prevented.

One more thing: It might be that the mixer needs another powering cycling after the reset. It was reported that things "suddenly" worked then...

And could you make a photo/screenshot of the preset list?
by iamdave on Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:48 pm
My disk utility shows the stick being fat 32. But it won't boot from it. At the link it shows a drop down option to make it a "master boot record" https://support.presonus.com/.../210047 ... oLive-AI... but this option is not one I have. Pics attached. Its not booting to the usb, just loads up after I power down and unplug the card and reboot.

I have 50 presets.
50 is vox speech 2
44 and 46 is vox snappy.
45 is vox male 3, there is no 1 and 2
28 is GTR snare snappy
26 GTR Male 1
17 BAS snare snappy
Etc

It still has scenes in it from before
by wahlerstudios on Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:55 pm
"It still has scenes in it from before" - this describes the problem. If a factory reset was performed, you would not see any of your old scenes at all! This indicates that your mixer does not receive the five firmware files, therefore it can not perform a reset. I don't think that there is a defect in the USB port (never heard about a problem there), but it's worth checking if everything looks ok. What you need to do, is to try a different USB stick. The document "StudioLive AI Mixer Firmware Recovery - Factory Reset" says:

Power User Tip: Most small USB drives (16 GB or less) are already formatted correctly, so formatting may not be required, but if your mixer does not detect your thumb drive, we recommend doing a fresh format of the drive. Also, it is important that you use a drive no smaller than 1 GB and no larger than 32 GB in size. When in doubt, it's a good idea to go ahead and re-format your thumb drive as FAT32. On Windows, be sure to do a "Full" format as opposed to a "Quick" format. On Macs, the choice will be listed as MS-DOS (FAT).

In my SL AI times I have always used a 1 GB USB stick, but I have formatted it via a Windows 7 PC. It's also important that there are no other files on the stick, except the five firmware files, which should not be in a folder, but "on top level". Just to mention it: The WiFi stick, which came with your mixer, can not handle file transfers.

Hope this helps. By the way, the link does not work. Which document did you mean? Something from the Knowledge Base?

9 posts
Page 1 of 1