Studiolive 32Ai, 24Ai and 16Ai Consoles with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote Ai, and QMix Ai
12 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have recently upgraded from my 4 year old studiolive 24, Which I loved to bits. To a new 32ai for use in my studio. Apart from extra real estate, mic channel, auxiliaries, and fx processors. The main deal breaking upgrade for me was the promise of 96khz operation and thunderbolt option card.

Just to confirm that presonus did mention both 96khz operation and an optional thunderbolt card by late 2013.

Since using my studiolive 32ai, I also noticed the sound of the new addition of a fan. Which I can only assume is due to the new switch mode power supply that is in the unit.
Not the end of the world, but is still annoying.

But what is even more annoying is that fact that even after upgrading the desk to the very latest firmware version. The desk does still not give the option to record audio at 96khz.
Just the same old 44/48khz options.

I'm am extremely disappointed as I was expecting at least a small upgrade in audio resolution. Especially now the desk is using a new firewire 800 as apposed to 400 on the old studiolive 24. There appears no be no clear evidence of improvement of sound from the old 24's converters to the new 32ai's interface.

I write this post because I am wondering if there is anyone else that shares these disappointments?
The fact that I cannot even contact anyone with any clout at Presonus is also annoying. Still, now into late 2014, coming up a full year later than when fist promised in 2013. No one seems to be able to confirm if a thunderbolt card will even be released.
There silence is very frustrating and gives me very little confidence in the company. :-(
So much so, that I am seriously considering selling my studiolive 32 ai in order to change to either the the cheaper beringer x32 or The universal audio Apollo/Rme thunderbolt route. All of which seem more appealing to me at this point. Especially universal audio and RME as both these interfaces offer a much more proffessional 192khz resolution.

I emplore any other Studiolive users that understand my frustrations to speak up. Not just because it will make me feel better to know I'm not alone. But to at least raise some awareness of these/issues with the new 32.4.2ai units.

Hopefully someone honest/that actually knows what's going on at Presonus will see this post, and have the gumption to speak up and confirm or deny whether or not we will ever see either a 96khz option when recording or whether or not their will ever be thunderbolt upgrade card.

Yours truly,

A very happy in the beginning, but now frustrated and pissed of a presonus studiolive user.
Last edited by mwright137 on Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed CAPS LOCK.
by roblof on Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:14 am
The x32 only have 44/48k as well. There is no 88/96k option on it as of today so it is of no use if you need 96k for recording...

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by mwright137 on Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:24 am
96k is coming, but I see you already posted your mixer for sale so I guess it's a moot point.

I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

Studio One 2 Pro 3.3.x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 13". OS X Sierra version 10.12.3.
RM16AI and CS18AI connected in Stagebox mode via MOTU AVB Switch.
StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by scottsandstrom on Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:55 am
I am learning that "is coming" is a very favorite phrase in the PreSonus world. 96k is already a year overdue according to this poster. Dante is delayed, probably mostly due to the integration to the speakers. They may be doing all the products and users a favor by holding new technologies back for a all together release, but there comes a time when you need to make good on past promises.

StudioLive 1642 (Classic)
Elite Core OSP MC12U-4 4 Space ATA Mixer/Amp Deep On Top Slant 12 sp Rack
MacBook 13-inch Mid 2007, Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Belkin N600 Dual Band WiFi/Router
JBL Series 3 LSR305's
by jgrannell on Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:32 pm
I am not too pleased with the fan noise either. Seems like a little more thought in this area would have been nice in addition to a few other features such as a little more control over signal flow when it comes to the DB-25 outs, possibly for a little more money the option of motorize faders which I know they have heard 1 million times, double the number of subgroups, lcd lighting/color/labeling on each channel (like the Behringer X 32) :-)
Still love the board as a whole though. They did promise the thunderbolt and dante upgrade as well as 96KHz a long time ago and I am disappointed that those have not come out yet. I guess I am not all that disappointed about not having 96 kHz yet because the more I read the more it seems like it's not even worth recording at a higher resolution since you are mixing down to 44.1 in the end anyways. Regardless, it was promised and I am surprised that this has not been accomplished yet for those people that do want to do that. I will continue to use this board in the studio, however will be upgrading to a couple Lynx Aurora 16's by going from the studio live DB-25 into the new interface and using the better DA converters in that, yet still allowing use of wireless control of in ear monitors in the studio via the board.
by sjc193 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:44 am
Hmmmm, I though they had 96k already,

if you look in the "Updates for SL RM and AI mixers locked thread at the top of this and every AI subforum there is this:

"This release of Universal Control Ai also includes drivers and control panels for the following products:

StudioLive 32.4.2AI Mixer (VSL­AI)
StudioLive 24.4.2AI Mixer (VSL­AI)
StudioLive 16.4.2AI Mixer (VSL­AI)
SL Remote 1.1.2.29044 (iOS)
Firmware Version: 1.0.5646 adds HD sample rate capability to all StudioLive AI­ series console mixers.
Universal Control AI Version: 1.6.0.30286"

I took "Firmware Version: 1.0.5646 adds HD sample rate capability to all StudioLive AI­ series console mixers" to mean that they all had 96k sample rate capability, is that not true?

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by Anotherstate on Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:55 pm
Hi,
Hey, just want to get a confirmation that StudioLive AI Series have a Firmware Update that can only be done via WiFi!? I don't have WiFi at my studio. Darn.
Well, if that's the case, I'll have to talk to a close neighbor and ask IF I can run a long Ethernet cable to my mixer, to get the update.
Thanks for any tips and clarification to this important procedure.

StudioLive 16.4.2 AI
FOCUSRITE ISA828 w/Digital card / Toslink
True Solo Mic Pre
Mac Book Pro w/8 Gig Ram
ProTools 10
Nord Piano HA88,
Yamaha CP33
Roland TD-20 Full Set
Rode K-2, ADK Odin, CAD Triton Dual Ribbon, Preception 420
by mwright137 on Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:39 pm
I didn't think it was ONLY WiFi, just that WiFi is now an option as opposed to having to use a USB stick.

I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

Studio One 2 Pro 3.3.x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 13". OS X Sierra version 10.12.3.
RM16AI and CS18AI connected in Stagebox mode via MOTU AVB Switch.
StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by Anotherstate on Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:45 pm
I've tried w/USB drive, but didn't see that mixer take the new information?
I'll just call, Presonus Support..

StudioLive 16.4.2 AI
FOCUSRITE ISA828 w/Digital card / Toslink
True Solo Mic Pre
Mac Book Pro w/8 Gig Ram
ProTools 10
Nord Piano HA88,
Yamaha CP33
Roland TD-20 Full Set
Rode K-2, ADK Odin, CAD Triton Dual Ribbon, Preception 420
by rnaqvi on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:03 am
There are some USB flash drives that don't work.

Here's a knowledgebase article with info on some we have found to be problematic and others that tested fine:

http://support.presonus.com/entries/229 ... dioLive-AI

Rick Naqvi
VP of Sales, PreSonus Audio Electronics
http://www.presonus.com
by enochgitonga on Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:30 am
I was really hoping to see a Thunderbolt/AVB Card by now. It is getting to the 2 year mark and Thunderbolt is on the 3rd revision. At this rate my church is going to be done building their new sanctuary before the promise of thunderbolt is fulfilled. For me it is important to get Thunderbolt and AVB because churches take about a decade in between upgrades if not more. Aside from future proofing, both Thunderbolt and AVB offer a performance/cost advantage that is hard to ignore.
For Live sound higher sample rates provide some benefits, a computer can be used to process audio using plugins in real time aside from the DSP that comes with the consoles. The increased Native processing power of modern CPUs as well as the ultra-low latency of Thunderbolt opens up a lot of flexibility and applications.
I have looked at the MOTU AVB products and the only issue there is I really want physical faders for live mixing. I also love the integration Studio Live AI has with Studio One V3.
by herbievantetering on Sun May 29, 2022 9:43 am
Notion same thing, it runs at maximum 48KHz, takes a while to make the samples run at higher resolution, and no Presonus AI integration. When switching to 88.2KHz or 96KHz 32bit, sound will be coming to Notion 6 soon.

Sound reinforcement, dithering and other advanced audio techniques can make Notion sound quite realistic. MIDI output can run quite well with VEPro (96KHz) and MIDI filtering techniques.

Although Mozart, Beethoven, Mendelssohn and Brahms would have been very satisfied with the Presonus LSO stock samples.

Imagine though; a Notion 7 with brand new 24bit 48KHz round robin & legato LSO samples, and a brand new Notion sampler engine and new features etc. etc.

12 posts
Page 1 of 1