Studiolive 32Ai, 24Ai and 16Ai Consoles with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote Ai, and QMix Ai
16 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello fellow Presonians

Please excuse my rudimentary knowledge, but I am new to the world of digital recording.

The way I make music is live jamming with a good dozen of analog synthesizers, all either sporting an internal sequencer or an external hardware one. They are all brought together by a Studiolive 24.4.2 Ai desk. As I am spending most of my working life with a computer, so I was trying to avoid a DAW up to now, but I had to realise, that the way I am recording my sessions straight as a stereo sum into my ipad doesn't cut it, so I am looking into multi channel recording.

The mixing desk is my main tool of performance, so I would need a way to record post-fader, which, as I understand is not possible with the SL desks. Having all 24 channels recorded pre-fader information is not working for me, as I am not able to recall my fader performance.

So what are my options?

- set all faders to 0db and try to get the hottest part of my performance even with the gain control, then set all the volumes on the individual volume knobs of the synths

- get an hardware controller (fader port?) for studio one or presonus capture

- use my old beaten but fully working 16.4.2 as an interface and use the direkt outs of the 24.4.2 to record (but are the prefader?)

- use ableton live for recording and use my Push 2 as a controller (which sucks for more than 8 channels)

I am using a handful of external effects, so my auxes would have to be recorded too...

I am perusing the web for days now, but haven't found a solution yet.
maybe I need a different desk? I like the SL one.

All help and suggestions appreciated

Stefan
by roblof on Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:10 pm
Why do you want to record post-fader to your daw as for a multitrack if you want to record your performance and not real post production?

If there is a really good reason to record your level changes I'd make sure to use e.g. cc7 to control the output levels of the synths and store the automation in the daw for each synth. This way you will be able to record the raw sound from your synths and still have access to your performance where you will be able to tweak the automation in post production.

I'm not sure about which mixers can do post fader recording to a multitrack but I know that the x32 can do it. I think that the legacy studiolive could do post fader recordings as well.

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by wahlerstudios on Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:14 pm
You don't need a DAW, you have a 24+ track digital recorder at hand: Capture. Capture allows you to mix all recorded tracks via SL 2442AI and record the mix (tracks 25+26). You can record anything between 1 to 26 tracks at a time, so Capture is a very good replacement for your iPad...

StudioLiveSoftware_ReferenceManual-EN-V7_29092017, section 7.
:reading:
by stefanrandlkofer on Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:29 am
Capture seems to nearly do what I want, but is there really no way to record my fader levels?
by SwitchBack on Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:12 am
Depends on the number of faders you want to record, and what else you're doing with the mixer.

For recording post-fader you'll have to record from the mixer outputs. The 24.4.2 has 40 firewire sends of which 24 are hardwired to the mixer inputs. That leaves 16 sends for you to assign to outputs, mostly in pairs. So with a bit of clever channel routing and firewire send assignment you can record up to 16 individual channels post-fader. Or do a bit of mixing to bring in more channels.

PS. You can't do this with Capture as Capture only takes one stereo track on top of the 24 channels.
by stefanrandlkofer on Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:23 am
That sounds intriguing! I don't mind not using Capture, but could you elaborate how to assign those additional 16 FW Channels? do I have to use the Auxes (which are currently used by my external effects)?
by SwitchBack on Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:10 pm
Check out sections 2.5.2 and 5.7.2 of the software reference manual for details. You may have to be creative about the auxes as you may want to record those as well as use the same signals for external processors.

Note that the Auxiliary Digital Sends are post-output fader/knob too!
by stefanrandlkofer on Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:09 am
that sounds possible.

Do the faders on the Studio Live give out Midi?
by wahlerstudios on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:48 am
No.
by stefanrandlkofer on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:49 am
that is a shame, that would make live so much easier....
by matthewgorman on Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:00 am
stefanrandlkofer wrotethat is a shame, that would make live so much easier....

The Series 3 mixers have midi faders.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by jodywaddell on Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:47 pm
matthewgorman wrote
stefanrandlkofer wrotethat is a shame, that would make live so much easier....

The Series 3 mixers have midi faders.

Awesome! Now I know for sure that I'll be upgrading to the Series 3 this coming spring. :)
by wahlerstudios on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:05 pm
None of the six Series III mixers comes with a Midi port, so is it right to consider this as some kind of DAW solution with a computer to keyboard connection involved? Is there more information available?
by Karyn on Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:15 am
The series 3 has Midi faders but no Midi ports, the RM has Midi ports but no Midi functions... You couldn't make this stuff up...

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by stefanrandlkofer on Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:05 am
Behringer just came out with an expansion card that allows DAW control for their x32. would the SL mk III offer simular capabilities?
by roblof on Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:27 am
You mean the optional card x-live that records onto sdcards?

https://youtu.be/g43BCr-IXYM

The x32 has almost always been remotely controllable by midi and later on mackie mcu. You don’t have to buy an extra card for that, unless you’d want the sdcard recording capabilities as well of course.

I’m not sure what midi capabilities the studiolive offers since I haven’t checked that out myself but most mixers out there offers, if at all, only basic midi control.

stefanrandlkofer wroteBehringer just came out with an expansion card that allows DAW control for their x32. would the SL mk III offer simular capabilities?

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron

16 posts
Page 1 of 1