Studiolive 32Ai, 24Ai and 16Ai Consoles with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote Ai, and QMix Ai
1 post
Page 1 of 1
I have had a 16.4.2 for several years and recently bought a 24.4.2ai even though I've been reading that the fans were too loud for studio applications for awhile now and I just want to relay my experience for people who would like to buy this board but are turned off by the fan loudness reports.
I have my computers and power amps in another room as I don't like noise either. My room is 20'x22'x8. We practice here and I record here.
You can't hear the fan when your tracking or mixing of course.
The gripe is "what about LCD's and vocals?
Well even with my most sensitive LDC's, I can't hear the fan in the headphones if the mic is positioned more than 10' from the board, (with a reasonably authoritative singer, probably 6 to8') although I have to put my wall clock in another room. Its sounds like a hammer in the Sterling mic.
If you have a smaller room and the track calls for whispers, it could be an issue but that would still get buried in the mix unless it was a Capella. a Capella would =15'.Its more about gain structure and your singer than the fan.
IMO its a non issue for 98% of home studios creating music and for hands on analog feel/digital recording and simplicity so you can get to work, this board preforms flawlessly. As for latency for VI instruments, I get 1.4ms in and 2.8ms out in Nuendo. Almost as good as my RME UFX used to be. The difference is negligible at 64 buffer/low latency setting in UC 2.0.
My 2 cents, and no, I don't work for Presonus. :lol:

1 post
Page 1 of 1