Studiolive 32Ai, 24Ai and 16Ai Consoles with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote Ai, and QMix Ai
6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hey there,
This is my first post. Our church recently purchased a Studio Live 32ai.
We have a Lenovo Thinkpad W530. I need help choosing the right FireWire cable. Any advices? Thanks!
by volksware on Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:19 am
You need a firewire400 to firewire800 cable.

The firewire in the W530 is firewire400 (Same laptop I have). The SL32.4.2Ai is firewire800.
They WILL work with each other.

I did have a few glitches when recording to the StudioOne DAW while hosting some plug-ins. Truth be told, it is possible that I didn't properly (or completely) optimize the PC for audio recording.

Purchased a StarTech EC1394B2 2 port Express Card for the laptop. So now I have firewire800 end-to-end. You'll need a firewire800 to firewire800 cable. Seemed to cure the few hiccups I had when using fw400 to fw800.

Currently available from NewEgg for $59.40, free shipping.

Hope this helps,
Sal

SL16.4.2Ai, SL312Ai mains, SL18Ai sub, Yorkville M810 Powered Mixed, Lenovo W530 Laptop (i-7 4-core @ 2.7 GHz, 24 GB RAM, 7200 rpm hard drive, 2-nd SSD, Win7 Pro 64 bit), Linksys WRT54GS router, Studio One Pro 3.2, Presonus Fader Port, HP-60 headphone amp, Furman PL-Plus power strip, all in a rolling SKB 2-piece case with A/V shelf.
by davidguevara on Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:49 am
Great! I'll get the card but my quick choice while I order the it would be the cable. Is it 9-pin/ 4-pin BILINGUAL FireWire 800 - FireWire 400 the right cable?
by matthewgorman on Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:59 am
Yes, you need bilingual cable when going from 400 to 800

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by davidguevara on Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:41 am
I just ordered it form Newegg. What I am not sure is if will fit on the slot of the Lenovo. It looks to thin for me.
by nickpaul on Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:45 am
Interestingly I also have that same laptop. I've not used the onboard Firewire with the AI, but I had previously used it with the 24 channel Classic. When recording with capture, once everything went great. The second time I recorded about half of the channels recorded horribly with digital breakup but the other half recorded cleanly. After consulting this: http://support.presonus.com/attachments/token/ap2ftsay3oemz4m/?name=Approved_FireWire_Cards.pdf and talking with Presonus support it sounds like like the firewire chip in the W530 is not fully compatible and can sometimes mess up like that. The annoying part is that there is no indication in capture when the recording is being corrupted, everything looked fine until I tried to play it back.

After that I bought the StarTech interface card and everything has been great. Since then I have upgraded to the 32AI and still every recording has been working great.

Long story short, if you are just using the firewire for monitoring the board then a firewire 800 to mini (4-pin) 400 is probably ok, but if you intend to do any recording follow Sal's suggestion: buy the StarTech EC1394B2 and use the firewire 800 cable that came with the AI console. Trust me when it comes to recording one time only events you don't want to look at someone and say the recording failed and its lost forever.

6 posts
Page 1 of 1