Studiolive 32Ai, 24Ai and 16Ai Consoles with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote Ai, and QMix Ai
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have a friend who'd like my help with his 16.4.2AI. He's had it for several years but is in no way a power user at all. This board has never been updated in any way since he bought it.

He uses the mixer with his band and his speakers only, so very simple setup that never changes. He uses an iPad with SL Remote on it to mix. I'm guessing he has never actually saved a scene, the settings just come up same as last time in the current mixer settings (lucky for him because I've seen these get wiped out before when someone turns off my church's 16.4.2AI while it is doing an auto-save). Speaking of the Church, it is still running SL Remote also, so this gives me an excuse to update both these mixer systems and help my town get into 2017.

Here is the problem:

You cannot save a scene with SL Remote AI on an iPad like you can the new UC Surface. So, I'd like to connect his MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt-to-Firewire800 adapter that he does own but has never used and does not have any Presonus software even loaded on it. And I'd like to save a Scene (current mixer settings) to that MacBook before I start updating the Firmware and software all around. The firmware on this board is so old that there is no telling how well it will go and I could certainly end up doing a full firmware recovery procedure to get it updated. I just want to make sure I have his single simple little scene saved somewhere in hopes of loading it back in using the latest UC Surface. The question will be: Which version of UC-AI should I load on the MacBook?

I do not yet know which version of the firmware is on his mixer, I will find out when I get there to work on it. So what I need is a list of matching UC-AI software versions to 16.4.2AI firmware versions. Is that list available somewhere? In his My.Presonus account maybe? Chances are that any version would probably work, but I know that it will go smoother if I use matching versions.

If I'm right I should be able to install the correct matching version of UC-AI(VSL) onto the MacBook. Connect to the mixer and then save a scene to the MacBook with VSL-AI and just make sure I know where in the File System it went (and probably make another copy of it). Then I can load all the latest software and firmware to the mixer, iPad and MacBook. Get it connected, and load the scene from the MacBook and get it saved all around at that point.

This is all stuff I'm comfortable with, but if anyone can think of any Gotchas I haven't thought of please let me know. And of course my original question is if there is a list of matching versions around here somewhere?

Thanks!

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by wahlerstudios on Mon May 08, 2017 12:33 pm
http://www.presonus.com/support/downloads/StudioLive-1642AI

Anything you need can be found on the download page, except the firmware versions, which are only available in the PreSonus account. You know where to look for the firmware version installed on the SL 16.4.2AI, so you can read in the release notes which versions of firmware and software match. For Universal Control AI v1.0.2.24818 it says:

Firmware Version ­ 1.0.4834
Driver Version: 4.1.3.17357
Universal Control AI Build: 1.0.2.24818

VSL-­AI is the corresponding software.

But as there are only 16 channels and obviously no complicated setting, is it really worth to make this difficult trip to the past? It's a lot of installing for nothing of importance. It's easier and more effective to write down the most important settings and to evaluate them when it comes to set up everything again. Sometimes it is better to start from the scratch...

When it comes to installing new firmware and software, PLEASE DO NOT UPDATE TO THE LATEST & GREATEST, if your friend is using FireWire or might be using FireWire in the future! Since UC 1.8.3 a phenomenon called "FireWire lag" is known, which makes UC Surface on a computer simply unusable. The visualization is too slow and kills any control. PreSonus seems not to be able or willing to fix this. But you can use UC 2.0.x on an iPad. Both UC versions work perfect together. So go for this:

Universal Control 1.8.0
UC 1.8 (Mac/PC) ­ 1.8.0.38751
UC Surface (iOS) ­ 1.8.0.38751
Capture (Mac/PC) ­ 2.2.1.38751
AI Console Firmware ­ v9194

UC Surface (iOS) - 2.0.x
QMix-UC (iOS/Android) - 2.0.x

ONE MORE THING: Updating from a very old firmware version will definitely cause problems, because there have been major changes over the years. The best thing to do is a factory reset with the option card pulled out. This gives you a clean install of the firmware you choose, but it can still be that you need to do the factory reset two and three times.

You also need to check how the network was set up until now and how this should be with the newer firmware. If the router is set up propperly, it only needs a CAT5 cable from the mixer to the router to create a wireless network. The router has to boot fully before you switch on the board.

Good luck!
by sjc193 on Mon May 08, 2017 2:24 pm
Awesome!

You answered most all of my questions and then some. Namely "look in the release notes" of the software to see the matching firmware versions.

So, do I understand correctly that there has been no Firmware update for AI consoles since UCS 1.8.0? (v9194 I assume) And that the only updates to be released since then is just software updates up to UCS 2.0.x? (Which I would not put on the Mac!)

I also notice you prefer 1.8.0 and not 1.8.3 because I'm gathering the lag actually came before UCS 2?

Great Info! Thanks very much!

(I do plan to just write down some general information about the mix, but if I can get a scene stored it should make him "feel" better. Personally, I don't use scenes except one to have my output EQs set for my monitors and a general setup that works as a starting point for most typical full bands with the channels named and whatnot the way I like and go from there) I have read that bringing an old scene into a new firmware has once or twice screwed up on people . . . I'm willing to risk it cause I know I can fix anything with a reset.

Thanks again!

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by wahlerstudios on Mon May 08, 2017 3:27 pm
Correct, the firmware is still the same, only UC has changed (which makes the "lag" problem even more ridiculous). UC 1.8.3 was only adding FaderPort 8 to the family. A paragraph "Fixed In This Release" was not included in this update and the paragraph "Kown Issues" showed two more entries. There is simply no need to go further than 1.8.0.

I don't think that the scenes of a single SL AI mixer model are incompatible, but they are only partly compatible between a SL 1642AI and a SL 2442AI/SL 3242AI. The equalizers of the SL 1642AI have restricted functionality, that's why.

It may well be that the sound of the SL 1642AI has changed a little bit after the firmware update, so do not try to restore too much, but explore the new and the exciting features PreSonus once used to offer.

Those were the days... :+1

4 posts
Page 1 of 1