Studiolive 32Ai, 24Ai and 16Ai Consoles with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote Ai, and QMix Ai
2 posts
Page 1 of 1
This used to be really intuitive in the previous version, with tabs at the top left of the screen. In UC 2.0 the only place I can find the tabs to switch between boards is in the setting section. This really slows down the workflow when using multiple boards. Did I miss something? I may have overlooked it in the documentation as well as I only seen how to deal with the cascaded RM mixers in the docs.
by wahlerstudios on Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:40 pm
The idea of cascading SL AI-boards was to give people more physical channels/faders to work with. Remote control for 16/32/40/48/56/64 FireWire cascaded channels probably never was fun, but the tabs made the workflow relatively easy. Two tabs were also used in networking SL AI and RM AI boards in stagebox or monitor mix mode. Cascading two RM mixers via AVB creates one "big" mixer of 64 channels under one tab.

It is obvious that the workflow with two connected "traditional" devices is not as easy as before, but as the SL AI mixers are now entering legacy status, this "problem" sooner or later will disappear. The alternatives now and tomorrow are the SL III series with 32 channels and the RM/RML mixers with 64 channels - all under one tab... The layout of UC Surface 2.0 follows the "one tab fact", which makes the setting page the right place for tabs. The tabs have become an "option", they are not a feature any longer.

On the other hand I think that UC Surface 2.0 does improve workflow also for legacy products. Take the display modes, for example. This adds a lot of flexibilty to your workflow, if you are using a computer and one or two iPads. Why not using two iPads for two cascaded SL AI boards? Or one touch screen and one iPad? You can be more creative than ever before, so take it as a chance - or re-install UC Surface 1.8 instead... ;-)

2 posts
Page 1 of 1