Studiolive 32Ai, 24Ai and 16Ai Consoles with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote Ai, and QMix Ai
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
We have a fairly new 16.4.2 AI. Last night at a gig, the left side of the main out was much quieter than the right. We thought of course that a speaker had blown. Frantically trying to find out what was happening while the audience looked on. The right side was much louder than usual too - I had to turn down the output trim pot to 50%. We struggled on with half the system (we run two main EV's; two QSC's for monitors and I use 3&4 as my in-ear mix.) I brought the mixer home to look at. I couldn't get it to show up in UC - even plugged into the same FW card. Eventually I zero'd the board and it came up. I ran a signal through a channel and both sides were fine. I turned the level back up to 75%.

Here's my question - has anyone here ever experienced an imbalance or volume weirdness - software? I have a studio - so I know what EQ and compression can do to level - but on one side of a stereo send? Yes, we were all sober - at the time! Please post your theory. Thanks.
by SwitchBack on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:56 pm
There's a good chance that you have a faulty cable. Wnen you lose either the hot or the cold connection on an actively balanced output (such as the SL main outputs) you will lose 6dB output level. Did the main output meters show imbalance too?

Note the difference with the SL aux outputs wich are only balanced for impedance. There is no output signal on the cold terminal, only a termination resistor.
by paulkneipp on Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:55 pm
Thanks for the reply. Very helpful. We will be checking the leads and speakers this week. Mixer seems fine. The only other thing that bothers me at the moment is how it seems that randomly I get an extremely odd in-ear mix until I reload a scene. I have it connected to a computer at the moment so I can go through them all.
by wahlerstudios on Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:13 pm
A Zero Out of the board just brings the SETTINGS back. Only a factory reset (with the option card pulled out) renews the FUNCTIONS. I could see a problem in your "firmware upgrade history". Depending on where you started and how firmware upgrades proceeded, "funny" things can happen. You get them away by one, two or sometimes even three factory resets. If not, the board needs to be repaired.

Normally the mixer does not lose any setting. You never need to reload or "refresh" a scene. Obviously this belongs to the "funny" things that happen when firmware upgrades have failed.

Just my 2 Euro cents. ;-)

4 posts
Page 1 of 1