Studiolive 32Ai, 24Ai and 16Ai Consoles with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote Ai, and QMix Ai
13 posts
Page 1 of 1
I am a beginner in terms of using our church's new StudioLive 24.4.2Ai. I finally learned how to use the FireWire to live stream our Audio via OBS (video is streamed via a webcam).

The way I achieved this was mapping the WDM Outputs 1 and 2 to the StudioLive AUX1 and 2.

The issue I am having is that I have no control over the audio levels independent of the volume coming out of the speakers in the sanctuary (MAIN). I am needing to be able to raise and lower the level of individual channels on the LiveStream but cannot unless I raise or lower the levels on the MAIN on the StudioLive Board.

Is there a way to do this via Universal Controller or on the board itself that I am not aware of? Or do I have to use something like Studio One?

Thanks so much.
by eminenceupc on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:33 am
Anyone know anything about this?
by eminenceupc on Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:21 pm
I finally figured out how to control the volume level of the digital output at least. I found Voicemeeter Banana that allows me to boost the volume so that my live stream is loud enough. It takes the Firestudio Driver and allows me to boost it/FAT channel it and then I select the Voicemeeter Banana driver when I choose an audio device in my streaming software. I still have no control over individual channels apart from turning them up in the MAIN sliders but at least I figured out something to allow me digital audio volume control on the PC for live streaming.

But if anyone knows of a better way to control it I would still love to know. Thanks!
by sjc193 on Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:56 pm
If you have any AUXes left, you can link two of them to create a separate mix from the FOH mix. You can also add quite a bit of gain to that mix too so that it is louder than the main mix. The only thing they would share is the preamp and FAT per channel, but you would get to have a totally different fader mix. I would suggest setting this linked stereo aux mix to be set to pre2 for best results.

The trick is to change the firewire output for master stereo track from the MAIN out to the set of auxes you want to use.

You have a 24.4.2, so firewire outputs 1-24 are the channels, but the master stereo track is 25/26 as seen from the computer. There is a way to change that in UC surface in the settings (little gear) page under one of the tabs there, change the master to aux1/aux2 for example, or you could use aux13/aux14, this stereo channel will now show up on the stereo track 25/26 on the computer.

I'm not looking at this right now so I may have described things strangely but I did just set this up at a church 2 weeks ago. I was able to get a nice loud but not clipping recording of their services this way that was separate from the main fader, worked great!

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by eminenceupc on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:46 pm
Okay so if I move channels 25/26 to AUX 5/6 then on my board AUX 5/6 will be what gets mapped to the FireStudio driver and I can adjust those 2 AUXs on my board as the L and R of the digital out?

Oh man that is awesome! You thank you so much! I have attached a screenshot to make sure I did it right. I will test it tomorrow as I am only able to remotely access the church PC/Board right now.

EDIT: I was able to verify it. It works perfect! Thanks again!
by sjc193 on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:08 pm
Cool, it's a slick setup, I actually set that churches mix up post fader because there was no one there that would know how to do a seperate pre fader mix, and it was a simple setup with the sermon being most important part, but I could add lots of gain in the aux compressor and bring all the faders and master up close to 10 and just get a good solid mastered (loud) recording that they can post

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by eminenceupc on Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:10 pm
I am confused as to what POST FADER means. The fader on the MAIN Mix would be the sliders right? So then the fader on the AUX would be the knob adjustments of the levels when Mix is selected? (basically just the volume level).

So wouldnt you always want your AUX channels to be POST so that all your FAT processing as well as your main volume (fader) levels are all going out to your speakers/live stream?

I suppose the only instance I can imagine wanting a pre1 or pre2 selected would be if I wanted to use capture or something and make a mix of the service after the fact?
by Karyn on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:09 am
Pre or Post fader refers to the input channel faders that you use to create the mix which is sent to the master faders...

With the aux set to PRE it takes the individual signals BEFORE their level is set in the main mix, advantage: you get to create a mix just for recording which can have different mic levels to what is coming out of the main speakers.

With the aux set to POST it takes the individual signals AFTER the channels faders (and pan) so you get exactly the same mix for recording as you hear from the speakers. Advantage: easy for a novice tech.

Pre1 taps off before the EQ, pre2 taps after....

While POST might seem the obvious choice (its certainly the easiest) it's not normally the best. The main mix is setup so the sound is at its best in the actual venue (whether a church or stadium rock show makes no difference). The mix will make allowance for all the good and bad acoustic properties of the venue, the EQ of mics and instruments will be affected by the natural acoustics of the venue. Listening to that mix away from that venue it will most likely sound awful, and certainly not what you thought you heard live at the time...

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by eminenceupc on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:07 pm
That makes sense. But for my needs of live streaming POST would be the way to go correct? The FAT channel adjustments will differ from the MAIN mix but since it's live I'm not sure what else I could do.
by wahlerstudios on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:05 pm
It is important to consider live streaming as an acoustical "world" on its own, which means that somebody (not you at FOH!) should listen to it carefully during the service, adjust the levels if needed and make the sound enjoyable for the listeners. You are streaming audio and video (webcam), so the visual impression is "fixed". At the same time the audio mix from FOH is very "dry", because of "close miking" and the separation from PA and room. Mostly it needs a little bit of reverb ("room") in the sound or/and you can also add two ambience microphones left and right to catch the audience and get the room integrated into the "picture". This makes listening much more enjoyable.

And if you would get an iPad (or iPhone) involved, you could control the audio stream or even mix it completely separate. Of course the settings of the Fat Channels at FOH will influence the sound of the mix in the auxes, but you have a parametric equalizer and a graphic equalizer in your auxes master to adjust the overall sound for the video transmission. Use those two types of equalizers to make the listening and watching enjoyable for the people out there at the screens!

A postfade mix "mirrors" the main mix including its Fat Channel processing. But you can adjust FX return different or even use an own FX (e.g. FOH uses FX A reverb and the video stream uses FX B reverb). Listen to the results very critical. Always imagine that you are personally watching the service at home. What do you see, what do you hear...? Is it inviting to follow the service?

One more tip: You probably link your auxes, so you can adjust pan separate from FOH. For a transmission it makes sense to use pan more intensely than you would use it at FOH. Just "broaden" the sound and give the sound events some "space"!
by jonblack4 on Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:13 pm
I've been looking for a solution like this for a long time... But I have the upgrade - the StudioLive32. Would the overall process be the same, or is there now a place to adjust the output of the USB recording/ "Tape Out"?
by jonblack4 on Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:15 pm
I Love the quality of the recording.. but if I have to boost it post recording, it really loses audio quality. Which doesn't make me look good for purchasing the board lol
by jonblack4 on Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:34 pm
AHHH!!! DUHH!!

I reduced the dial at the back for the main output, now able to dial up all of the other channels!

I knew they would make progress on that!
Thank you PreSonus!

13 posts
Page 1 of 1