Studiolive 32Ai, 24Ai and 16Ai Consoles with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote Ai, and QMix Ai
32 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
To the OP, the best bet is to start a support ticket so that the support guys can try to replicated it and let the engineers know about it if they agree there is a problem. Then you wait, but at least you know it's logged in the system.

I did just that a couple of days ago. Request #339227. We'll see what happens.
by Karyn on Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:29 am
I do have an AI console and an RM. I use Dante all the time. It is not a bug, it is by design. When AVB and Dante were first introduced there WAS a bug (or a bad design decision) that meant turning on Network Input to a channel turned OFF the network send. The reason stated was to give FireWire priority for recording. It meant that using Dante to insert FX (Waves multirack) was impossible because the send was disabled simply by enabling the return....
After a few weeks discussion, the routing design was altered so that both FireWire and Network outputs are active most of the time.... Due to the requirement to switch around the order of the FIreWire and Network sends/returns there is a combination that doesn't work,

But it's NOT a bug. It's deliberate. It's limited by the fixed routing.

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by SwitchBack on Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:13 pm
Well, my assessment is that someone in design lost the plot. I'm convinced that even with the two types of digital I/O present you can have your cake and eat it too. Let them take a good hard look at it. Treating digital I/O as inserts rather than as separate sends and returns should clear this up pretty quickly.

Peace
by sjc193 on Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:46 pm
Ya, the send and return part seems working, the issue is with the Pre or Post FAT "DIG OUT" button of the console.

Although no one else here has actually confirmed the issue, no offense to the OP but it would be nice if someone else could try it and say "yep I have the same issue, DIG OUT doesn't work when the firewire return is set to on" just to be sure it is an issue. It should work the same way with Daunte too really.

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by rgbierwirth on Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:50 am
briantierney wroteIt appears the "Post EQ&Dyn" button is not working on StudioLive 32.4.2. I have tried firmware version 1.0.9194, and I also tried downgrading to version 1.0.8596. I am recording in Cubase, but no matter what I do to the Fat Channel, I get untouched audio in Cubase. Is everyone having this issue, or is it just me? Everything I can find said the problem was fixed a long time ago.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
-Brian

Brian, this sounds similar to my problem. I have a 32.4.2.AI and the fat channel and FX changes I apply, I hear thru the monitors but the signal recorded into Studio One is not effected by it. The only change I can hear in the signal being recorded is if I adjust the preamp trim for the channel gain. I have a Sweetwater Creation Station CSX 64 bit, with 32 GB of RAM,Multiple Fast Hard Drives capable of handling 32 tracks armed and ready without a problem. Fat Channel changes do not seem to be going thru the firewire to my DAW. I posted a similar question and had one repsonse asking my specs, suggesting my computer was inadequate. You would assume if I invest in a Studio/Live 32.4.2.A!, I would likewise invest in a serious computer. FAT Channel and FX are not coming thru in recoded signal in DAW!
by briantierney on Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:13 am
That was my experience as well. If you turn off the monitoring you can record the FAT channel, but there is no way to have both.
by Karyn on Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:12 am
This is expected behaviour, you record "dry" so that you can modify the sound later. Studio One even has the same fat channel plugin that the consoles use.

If you're recording a live show, any EQ you apply live is only relevant to that particular venue and pa. If you're recording in the studio you should really be recording the dry signal so you can modify it later in your DAW.

I know there are situations where it might be desirable to record a signal with eq and fx applied, but if you listen back later and decide you don't like it... you're stuck with it..

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by SwitchBack on Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:23 am
Karyn wroteIf you're recording a live show, any EQ you apply live is only relevant to that particular venue and pa.
This is not true for channel EQ&Dynamics. The channel FAT settings should only concern input treatment, not output treatment. If it is done well live then in the studio you would end up with the same settings.
by claudekass on Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:25 am
I am having the same problem... As far i found that it should work nice when you are using VSL and set in there the option to include all settings on the mixer (send return fx and so on..) of course on the mixer it needs the Digital Output knob "ON" on each channel.. So with Virtual Studio Live and all the settings to include the Gear that is connected to send return it should record it so as you hear it on your monitors.... So far so good ... I went on the page and tried to download VSL ... it refears to an older Universal control ( i am using mac osx sierra) I downgraded to it but i can't find any VSL software to install ....

Does anyone on here have found meanwhile a solution ?
please help...I want to make music again and not trying to solve this Problem anymore ;)

( no i dont want to record each thing separately) I record my live session (multi track) and later edit stuff BUT it needs it with included outboard Fx and stuff )

OSX 10.12.6/Windows10/Ipad2/ Cubase Pro 9.5, Abl Live, Studio One/ StudioLive 32.4.2 AI
by sjc193 on Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:29 am
VSL was in the old universal control for the classic mixers. It does not work with AI mixers.

The easiest way to accomplish you goal, using all the latest software/firmware, is to record into capture and store the scene of your FAT settings into capture. Then when you open the capture session in StudioOne, all of the FAT channel plugins will be added to the S1 song automatically and you can then ,ake adjustments to it if you want. This may be possible to do straight in StudioOne also but I'm not sure where/how off the top of my head.

You can also click the "Post EQ&Dyn" button for each channel you are recording, and it will record straight into StudioOne with the mixer FAT setting. But apparently you have to have each channel set to analog input on the mixer for that to work.

Hope that helps. . .

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by claudekass on Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:53 pm
Thanks for the reply :) Ok then i misunderstood that with VSL
i am going to put back my actual Universal Audio....
Yes the way how you are doing it is also similar how i am doing it now.. I just reroute after a session everything from the recorded tracks to digital out again and use then all external effects on it and do all the edits and then i hit play again in my Daw and i record the complete finished Mix to another computer from there then i can use the file to master .. Its just to much to do and not so flexible afterwards..

Ok I explain better what I am using...
I am using 25 External Instruments ( synths and drum machienes + Effect Racks etc... etc) all goes in in Analog inputs ..to my 32.4.2 AI and shows up in my Daw ( Cubase pro 9.5) I am having an Effect Rack wich i use within a patchbay and for now i am having connected 2 Strymon pedals via "Aux out" as "send" and the returns are coming back to "Aux A" and "Aux B" so far so good ...
Yes the Knob "Digital output " is switched on on each channel.. It seems that the Fat channel isn't routing the signal from the Aux Input A/B to anything exept the main outputs.. I still think there must be a possibility to do some internal routing.. ... Such a great Mixing Desk and then this can't be true ;)

Well i am still in hope. Cheers :+1

OSX 10.12.6/Windows10/Ipad2/ Cubase Pro 9.5, Abl Live, Studio One/ StudioLive 32.4.2 AI
by SwitchBack on Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:55 am
claudekass wroteYes the Knob "Digital output " is switched on on each channel..
To avoid confusion: In full this is the “Digital Output Post EQ&Dynamics” button. This button doesn’t switch the digital output on (because digital output is always on) but it switches the digital output from pre channel EQ&Dynamics to post channel EQ&Dyn.

claudekass wroteI just reroute after a session everything from the recorded tracks to digital out again ...
I suppose you mean “digital input” (the buttons right below the 48V buttons).

claudekass wrote... and use then all external effects on it and do all the edits...
I wonder how you do this. Physically your mixer has 22 outputs which isn’t enough to return all 32 mixer channels to outboard gear for re-recording...

claudekass wroteand then i hit play again in my Daw and i record the complete finished Mix to another computer
Sure you can use a second computer. But why not record on the same computer returning the tracks to the mixer? It would make things less complicated.

claudekass wroteIt seems that the Fat channel isn't routing the signal from the Aux Input A/B to anything exept the main outputs.. I still think there must be a possibility to do some internal routing..
Check out Section 8.3 of the UC Surface Reference Manual. Your mixer has 48 digital sends to the computer. For the last 16 of those you can select the signal source yourself, including (post EQ&Dyn) Aux Inputs A and B.

32 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2