Studiolive 32Ai, 24Ai and 16Ai Consoles with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote Ai, and QMix Ai
11 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have a StudioLive 32.4.2AI console mixer and a StudioLive RM32AI. I have them connected on a network via ethernet, through an approved AVB switch. They are connected to one another. My question revolves around functionality. When they are connected, and I have the RM in Stagebox mode, and Enabled is set to off, then the only way I can control sound is through UC Surface. My console mixer is basically useless. The buttons and sliders on the console mixer do nothing for me. I understand that the RM is completely functional through software, but the only reason I bought a RM was to have a digital snake, hoping to still mix from the console board itself. I have found that I cannot get sound through the house speakers from both the console and the rack mixers simultaneously. I can only use one or the other based on whether I set enabled to on or off. Why don't the console and rack mixers work together? I also cannot record anything if I am controlling the sound through the RM. If I switch to the CM then a sound is sent to the PC for recording. Appreciate any help or guidance.
by wahlerstudios on Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:43 pm
Enable off...? If you want to use your RM as stagebox, this function HAS TO BE ENABLED! Networking SL and RM means, that all outputs (l/r, mono) are disabled on RM. This is actually the same in stagebox mode and in I/O mode. Once they are connected by AVB network, RM's outputs automatically mirror SL's outputs. And by the way: SL's and RM's outputs can be used at the same time for different purposes.

It is only in I/O mode that the 16 mix outs (aux) are handled by RM. This is the typical use as monitor mixer and you are right, this works only through UC Surface. RM handles all your monitor mixes, while left/right and mono on RM represent SL's mixes.

All inputs on RM are available on SL, but you have to select "Network Input" on your SL's channels (the "digital button" on the board and a setting in the board's menue). Remember: You are working in a network and you have to "determine" the connections (what goes where). On RM remain gain, phantom power and polarity, which makes them "recallable". All other processing is handled by SL and is of course also "recallable".

Recording means firewire, which means you can record from both boards simultaneously, if you want so. Both boards have a firewire port, so you can place your recording PC anywhere. FOH is probably the best place, as firewire also gives access to the Smaart features.
by jeffreycrawford1 on Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:10 am
That makes me feel somewhat better. I've been convinced from the beginning that we were doing something wrong. When we switch enabled between on and off we either get signal from the inputs at the console or the inputs at the rack but never both/simultaneously. There has to be a setting that we're not seeing somewhere but we don't know what the setting is. Is there a setting within each channel on the console that we have to set or just a universal setting for the whole console? I've looked and looked for videos on this but can't find any that say "step 1, do this and step 2, do that". Greatly appreciate any help or resource.
by wahlerstudios on Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:18 pm
Ok, this is an "how to..." based on dynamic IP adresses. Hopefully it helps you to get started.

Both boards should be zeroed out (load scene #1 before) and shut off. All CAT5 cables (two for the boards and one for the router) should be plugged into the AVB switch. There is a special port for the router. The router should be set up propperly and an iPad with UC Surface at hand (a dual band router is recommended).

1) Start the router and let it boot fully (may take a minute)
2) Start SL and let it boot completely
3) Start RM and let it boot completely (red or blue light shows on front)

4) Go to SL menue "System", page 4, first and second line: You need to see "RM32 AI 10.0.1.x (number of its port)" in both lines. If it says "None" in the important first line (Mixers online), turn the value knob or push "store" to connect
5) Then go to line three and choose the mode you want to use (Stagebox or Remote I/O Monitor)
6) Set "Enabled" to "on" to activate the selected mode

Now your AVB network and its "members" are ready to go.

7) Start iPad, connect it to your mobile WLAN
8) Open UC Surface

In UC Surface you should see SL3242AI as the first rider (top left) and RM32AI as second rider. Look which rider is enlightened. Sometimes UC Surface shows the last board dialed in (RM).

In stagebox mode there is nothing you can do on RM, even if UC Surface shows it with all features and you also see all input and output meters working. This is totally confusing, not only at first sight... Remember that everything happens on SL and that all mix outs are "merged", which means that on RM outs you find SL's mains left/right and mono and aux 1-14. On RM's aux 15+16 you find SL's subgroups 1+2. "Merged" also means that you can use SL's and RM's outputs parallel for different purposes. You have two times l/r, mono and 14 auxes available!

But there is still one last thing to do: Press the digital button on channel 1 of your SL (and any other channel you want to use). This deactivates your SL's analog inputs. In SL's menue you now see "Remote Pre" + value in line three: You are now using RM's digital preamps and their value is controlled by SL's value knob.

In UC Surface this looks a little different. Select channel 1, go to its second page and change "Analog Input" to "Network Input". This has to be done for any channel which your "stagebox" is supposed to feed. And one more thing: In SL's rider you see phantom power and polarity, but they do not work. You have to select RM's rider. Only there you can adjust gain, phantom power and polarity. This is confusing, but technically it makes sense, as only these three parts are controlled by RM. Any other processing happens on your SL.

In general don't be too fast when connecting or activating things. Getting a network running takes its time. ;-)
by PAE Seth on Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:44 am
In case you haven't seen this video. PAE YouTube Channel has plenty more.

phpBB [video]

PC #1: Asus Prime Z690-P, i5-12600k 10-core (6+4), 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz, RTX 3060 12GB, ADATA XPG 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD, 2 x 1TB WD Black HDD

PC #2: ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe II, i7-7820X 8c/16t, 16GB 2666 MHz DDR4, GTX 1060 3GB, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD (Win10 Pro), Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD (Win11 Pro), OWC Aura 512GB NVMe M.2, 2 x 1TB HDD

Mac: 2010 Mac Pro 6 core 3.33 GHz, 32GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD RX 5500 XT 8GB, Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 Card, Aquantia 10Gbps AVB card, Dual eSATA PCIe + Stardom 8xHDD Raid Tower
by jeffreycrawford1 on Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:56 am
Thank you both. I'll try this out as soon as possible and let you know the results.
by wahlerstudios on Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:31 pm
Indeed, this is a helpful video, but which one of the 500 videos of PreSonus' YouTube channel is it...?

And it is not in the list of videos in "my.presonus", so as a new user I have to watch old and outdated videos, partly giving me wrong (old) information, as technical details have proceeded. The youngest videos date of September 16th, 2015, talking about connecting SL and RM, but in February 2016 there were quite some changes of the AVB functionalities (second step...), so the videos are partly not up-to-date. So where could you search for information, if you don't get to know about changes?

All "old" videos should have a label "new information available!" Or better: Please update the list in "my.presonus", so that we can refer to it! Otherwise we will try to explain the same things over and over again.
by ccc_4031 on Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:16 pm
I'm needing a digital snake option, but I only need 8 or so inputs at FOH. I'm thinking of getting a RML32AI to run as a stage box with my 32.4.2 AI. Would I be able to use the RML16AI instead? If so, would I be able to map the inputs in the 23.4.2AI?
by wahlerstudios on Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:01 pm
A RML16AI also serves as a digital stagebox for your SL 3242AI. It mustn't be a RM32. If you need only 8 inputs, a RM16 is cheaper. Maybe it's worth to look for a second hand rack mixer. You should be aware that the "small" rack mixer only has 8 mix outs (auxes) instead of the 16 of its "big brother". Actually the SL 3242AI has "only" 14 mix outs, so on RM's mix outs 15 and 16 you find your subgroups 1 and 2.

One more thing to consider: RM(L)16AI sends channels 1 to 16 to the corresponding channels of your SL. You can not change the order or the position. With a RM(L)32AI the input channels would be identical 1 to 32.
by ccc_4031 on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:39 pm
I'm having some additional issues now and am thinking about moving everything to the stagebox (18 inputs). If I use the RM32, and control it with my 32.4.2AI board, when the channels are assigned, can I plug an input into the 32.4.2AI on an open channel from the RM 32? I have a computer and another 2 inputs that are in the back of the church by the mixer that I don't want to move to the stage.
by matthewgorman on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:50 pm
ccc_4031 wroteI'm having some additional issues now and am thinking about moving everything to the stagebox (18 inputs). If I use the RM32, and control it with my 32.4.2AI board, when the channels are assigned, can I plug an input into the 32.4.2AI on an open channel from the RM 32? I have a computer and another 2 inputs that are in the back of the church by the mixer that I don't want to move to the stage.

If I am understanding you correctly, and you want to do a combination of inputs to the stage box, as well as directly to the mixer? That answer would be yes. You have the option to source the mixer channel from analog (plugged directly into the mixer), or network (sourced from the stage box). Assuming that all the mixing is happening on the 3442.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5

11 posts
Page 1 of 1