Studiolive 32Ai, 24Ai and 16Ai Consoles with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote Ai, and QMix Ai
7 posts
Page 1 of 1
Would some of you folks please share your Specific Reverb & Delay setting for a live lead singer. Something that will cut through the instruments and drums (kind of dreamy) but not sound cheap and cheese.

I just cannot dial in a professional EFX sound

Thanks
John
Muskego, WI
by SPS on Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:13 am
To cut through the instruments, reverb and delay are not the most helpfull effects.
Reverbs will even make things worse.

You will need comps and may-be even parallel processing! :D

Studio-live 16-4-2, Firestudio Project, Win-7 laptop with Firewire expresscard, Studio one producer, EV PA system, Sennheiser wireless headsets etc.
by yvesrouillaud on Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:14 am
As SPS said, Reverb and/or Delays are not recommanded to make that you want.

A good mixer integrated solution is to use the compresser ont the Main FAT Channel. With the voice level a bit higher than the band, the compressor will make voice in front of the mix.

LDS Recording Studio (Little Dream Studio)
Official Website : http://www.nimbitmusic.com/filiver

Hardware :
Speaker : Alesis Monitor One Mk II
Analogic Amplifier
4 circuit headphones system
StudioLive 32.4.2.AI mixer v8896
Sony DAT for live 2 tracks recording
2 patchbay 48 points each
AKG and SHURE microphones
1 PC Computer with Core 2 Duo processor running Win10 Pro
2 Soundcards M-Audio Delta44
1 Firewire card with 3 ports IEEE1394b

Software :
CUBASE 5.0 with a lot of VST plugins
WAVELAB (mastering & RedBook conforming)
Presonus VSLAI & Capture 2
by phillipc on Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:20 am
Never to late to comment.

I know exactly where John is coming from. I've been upgrading my StudioLive Mixers from since the original 16.4.2 and up to this day I can't dial in a lush great sounding reverb. To me that's by far the weakest feature on StudioLive.

I'm still open for setting ideas.
by SwitchBack on Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:37 am
Great tip: filter your reverb sends. Cutting the highs and lows you don’t need will clear things up a lot. Google ‘Abbey Road reverb’ For a classic example ;)
by wahlerstudios on Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:07 pm
We are here in the StudioLive AI Consoles part of the Forums, so you might want to have a look at the FX section of UC Surface 2.x and how reverbs and delays are handled there. It's a different approach, but it may make you want to experiment with the settings. I remember that reverbs on a SL AI console were not that fascinating, but when UC Surface 2 entered the picture, things changed a lot. I do not use reverbs intensively, I use them to add reflections and to "open up" live sound. My favorites are "Bright Hall" and "Large Hall".

Bright Hall: If you reduce Decay to 1.2 seconds and add just a little bit to the overall sound, the sound becomes more lively. Suddenly vocals start to sound "big"... ;-)

Large Hall: Reduce PreDelay to 4 ms and Early Reflections to -40 dB, then the only parameter left is length (Decay) of the reverb. Maximum is 5 seconds, minimum is 1.39 seconds. I mostly use something around 1.7 or 2 seconds if I want the reverb to he heard, and of course it is most important how you use the Aux send(s). This reverb reacts dynamic. The loudest music event will "catch" most of the reverb. Try to find a musical balance in your sends. Two seconds of reverb is alreday a lot of reverb, so also experiment with shorter decay. You may also want to try using two familiar reverbs for different instruments. It makes sense to use the second reverb for drums and percussion only.

And - as SwitchBack wrote, use the Fat Channel of the Aux send(s). The RM AI rack mixers also have a HPF built-in, which makes coloring reverbs very easy. I personally prefer to add some presence to reverb, something like 1.5 dB @ 5 kHz, because this makes reverbs and delays much more audible and therefore better to mix.

The effects of the StudioLive consoles and rack mixers are not bad at all, but you really need to become familiar with them. UC Surface can make you understand what is happening there... ;-) The presets Natural, Lively etc. are available via the presets button located below Scn/Scenes.
by phillipc on Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:33 am
Thank you wahlerstudios. I'll give it another go at rehearsal.

7 posts
Page 1 of 1