Studiolive 32Ai, 24Ai and 16Ai Consoles with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote Ai, and QMix Ai
7 posts
Page 1 of 1
is anyone using a macbook with no firewire port and only thunderbolt port? These are usually 2015 Macbooks.

I wanted to use this to record, mix, etc with my studio live ai board. Does it have any issues monitoring while recording on capture or studio one?

I found this adapter on apple: Thunderbolt to firewire adapter
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD464 ... re-adapter

Is anyone using this at all to hook up their studiolive ai board to their new Macbooks?
Does it work? any limitations?

Thanks.
by trondareutle on Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:42 am
I'm using a MacBook Air with a Thunderbolt port, and plug in a thunderbolt-to-Firewire cable to connect to my 24.4.2 AI. This works just fine.
Using Capture, (Universal Control AI,) UC Surface, Studio One, Logic, Waves Multirack Native for plugins etc.
by gadget69 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:10 pm
Yes, it actually works BETTER than just the firewire alone!

Tower:
Asus Crosshair V formula Z motherboard
AMD FX9590 4.0 GHZ 8 CORE CPU
16GB 2400MHZ RAM CAS8
512 GB SSD PRIMARY HDD
1.5 TB THOSHIBA 128MB 7200 RPM DRIVE
2.0 TB WD BLACK 256 MB 7200 RPM DRIVE
AMD R9-290 4GB VIDEO CARD
Windows 7 P sp1
2006 Imac
Lenovo thinkpad Z565 upgraded with a Quad core processor, SSD and maxed out 8GB ram
Win7 Sp1
Mac 2006
Ipad 3,
Ipad 4,
Ipad Mini
Iphone 6s+
Audiobox USB
1818VSL
i2
Studiolive 2442Ai
SL 16.4.2 X 2
Studio 1/3pro
Sony Sound Forge 10
Engineer / producer
Owner Twilite Zone productions
Owner Studio G
by dandillman on Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:23 pm
trondareutle wroteI'm using a MacBook Air with a Thunderbolt port, and plug in a thunderbolt-to-Firewire cable to connect to my 24.4.2 AI. This works just fine.
Using Capture, (Universal Control AI,) UC Surface, Studio One, Logic, Waves Multirack Native for plugins etc.

hello, i noticed you mention you use waves multitrack with your presonus board, can you share your experience with it, latency, which plugs are u using ? and stability in a live environment. are you running multi rack, uc surface and capture at the same time on the same computer ? thanks
by yvesrouillaud on Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:11 am
Hi folks,

Well, I don't use Mac environment but Windows 10. So all works fine. My computer is considered today as a low end computer (see my signature).

With firewire card on it, I experienced between 6 and 13 ms latency, that is short enough to work on the most cases. The ASIO occupation (I use Steinberg Cubase 5.0) is really low, even with the 32 channels used. With Capture, the latency is not perceptible. No click, no synchronisation problem was encountered.

I'm not familiar with Studio One at all to talk about a significant experience on it.

Anyway, the firewire interface, driven by Presonus environment, is, for this time, the best way I never experienced on a digital audio station with an affordable price. It is really in competition with systems that are much more expensive.

Have a very good audio day...

LDS Recording Studio (Little Dream Studio)
Official Website : http://www.nimbitmusic.com/filiver

Hardware :
Speaker : Alesis Monitor One Mk II
Analogic Amplifier
4 circuit headphones system
StudioLive 32.4.2.AI mixer v8896
Sony DAT for live 2 tracks recording
2 patchbay 48 points each
AKG and SHURE microphones
1 PC Computer with Core 2 Duo processor running Win10 Pro
2 Soundcards M-Audio Delta44
1 Firewire card with 3 ports IEEE1394b

Software :
CUBASE 5.0 with a lot of VST plugins
WAVELAB (mastering & RedBook conforming)
Presonus VSLAI & Capture 2
by KenRen on Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:54 pm
dandillman wrote
trondareutle wroteI'm using a MacBook Air with a Thunderbolt port, and plug in a thunderbolt-to-Firewire cable to connect to my 24.4.2 AI. This works just fine.

hello, i noticed you mention you use waves multitrack with your presonus board, can you share your experience with it, latency, which plugs are u using ? and stability in a live environment. are you running multi rack, uc surface and capture at the same time on the same computer ? thanks

Hello, I am running the same setup with my computer and board, but my computer doesn't seem to be recognizing the mixing board. Maybe you can offer me a suggestion on how I can get my mac to find the board. I have a macbook air mid 2011 with and 11inch screen. My board is a presonus 24.4.2. I also have the thunderbolt to firewire adapter. If you could offer any help that would be great. Thank you.
by wahlerstudios on Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:45 pm
Classic or AI...? Anyway - check if you are using matching firmware and software versions. Here are the details:

Classic
http://www.presonus.com/support/downloads/StudioLive-24.4.2
Universal Control 1.7.4 (v5773)
24.4.2 Firmware Version 1.0, build 195
Universal Control Build 5773

AI
http://www.presonus.com/support/downloads/StudioLive-2442AI
DO NOT INSTALL UC SURFACE 2.0, IF YOU'RE MAC USES FIREWIRE!!!!!
UC v1.8.3.40882
Capture (Mac/PC) ­ 2.2.1.38751
AI Console Firmware ­ v9194

It might be helpful to uninstall any UC versions from your Mac, before a installing UC Surface. This page can be helpful or give you an idea what to do; http://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/ar ... -on-a-Mac-. Also check if you are using the right FireWire connection. Classis is FW 400 and AI is FW 800...

Hope this helps. And again: Do NOT install UC Surface 2.0, because it has problems with FireWire. Use UC 1.8 on your computer and UC Surface 2.0 on iPad.

7 posts
Page 1 of 1