Studiolive 32Ai, 24Ai and 16Ai Consoles with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote Ai, and QMix Ai
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
We are trying to set up our monitor to playback through our headphones in stereo by using the link feature and panning left and right for each channel. It is working in the left speaker but not the right speaker on the headphones. We set everything up correctly on the board, but no go. Is it possible we have the wrong type jack for the headphones and that's why its only playing through the left side only? Any help would be appreciated.

Studio Live 24.4.2 AI is our board :shock:
by SwitchBack on Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:41 pm
Linking Auxes doesn't 'link' the output jacks. You still need both (using a Y-cable 2x TS mono jack to TRS stereo jack) for stereo in your phones.
by yvesrouillaud on Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:27 pm
Yes. As explained by @SwitchBack, linked auxes are only two auxes (1 & 2 in your case) that settings are the same on both channels. But, the output are not linked on one. Physically, they are still two output. My advise is to buy a stereo headphones preamplifier like the PowerPlay XL from Behringer, for example, that is not so expensive and that provide four stereo headphone channel output for one stereo channel input. That's a good idea for a home studio, even a medium one by duplicating each output on multiple output if your headphones have an impedance that is equal or more than 32 ohms.

LDS Recording Studio (Little Dream Studio)
Official Website : http://www.nimbitmusic.com/filiver

Hardware :
Speaker : Alesis Monitor One Mk II
Analogic Amplifier
4 circuit headphones system
StudioLive 32.4.2.AI mixer v8896
Sony DAT for live 2 tracks recording
2 patchbay 48 points each
AKG and SHURE microphones
1 PC Computer with Core 2 Duo processor running Win10 Pro
2 Soundcards M-Audio Delta44
1 Firewire card with 3 ports IEEE1394b

Software :
CUBASE 5.0 with a lot of VST plugins
WAVELAB (mastering & RedBook conforming)
Presonus VSLAI & Capture 2
by christianfoix on Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:49 pm
Yes, i'm having the same problem. I have a 2 to 1 stereo cable, as well as a headphone amp, but only the left ear is coming in. I've hooked up everything right, at least I think so, so is that just because of the amp I bought or is it something on that board that I'm not doing.
by Karyn on Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:37 am
It's because of the cable you're using. The Mix outputs are NOT stereo. You get stereo by using a pair of outputs with the channels linked.
The physical output is balanced line, on a TRS jack that means (T) Signal, (R) Signal Inverted, (S) Ground. But because of the way the (R) Inverted signal is created, if you simply plug in a pair of stereo headphones you get Left Channel (T) Signal, Right Channel (R) Nothing.

To correctly connect a pair of outputs to a headphone amp you need a Y cable that joins the (T) of one plug to the (T) of the headphone end, and the (T) of the other plug to the (R) of the headphone end.

As it happens this is a pretty common cable if you know what you're looking for. It's an Insert cable... A single TRS on one end with a pair of TS on the other.

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.

5 posts
Page 1 of 1