Studiolive 32Ai, 24Ai and 16Ai Consoles with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote Ai, and QMix Ai
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have a StudioLive 16.4.2 AI mixer, which I've had for a little over a year now and use for live sound (I upgraded from a StudioLive 16.4.2 Classic mixer). I haven't had any problems with the AI until just recently.

Over this past weekend, my band played a festival where many bands performed. Each band had their own audio equipment. In between sets, I powered down our PA, including my StudioLive AI mixer. When it was almost time for us to play one of our sets, I turned the PA back on only to hear a continuous crackling noise coming out of the speakers on one side of the stage. After some troubleshooting, which took about 15 minutes, we determined that the problem was coming from the Left Main Output of the StudioLive AI mixer. We were able to work around it by not using the Left Main Output.

Today I set up the mixer, along with a pair of studio monitors I have, to try and duplicate the problem. Sure enough, the crackling noise began as soon as I turned the mixer and the studio monitors on. I did manage to get rid of the crackling noise by moving around the cable that was plugged into the Left Main Output (By the way, the cables that I used today were not the same ones I used over the weekend, so that rules out a cable issue.). I left the mixer and studio monitors on for over an hour after the crackling noise stopped and everything was fine. I powered everything back down for about 30 minutes or so and then turned on the mixer and the studio monitors again. Sure enough, the continuous crackling noise was back and I couldn't get rid of it.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what could it be and, more importantly, what can be done to stop it?
by mwright137 on Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:18 pm
If you moved the cable around and it stopped, I'd say that sounds like a bad jack. Are you still under warranty?

I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

Studio One 2 Pro 3.3.x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 13". OS X Sierra version 10.12.3.
RM16AI and CS18AI connected in Stagebox mode via MOTU AVB Switch.
StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by Tzman999 on Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:43 pm
I've had the mixer for just a little over a year so I think the warranty may have just run out.

UPDATE: I turned the mixer on yesterday and the noise was coming from the Right Main Output on both the 1/4-inch and XLR outputs, although the noise was not as bad as the day before. The left side was clean with no noise regardless of whether I plugged into the 1/4-inch jacks or the XLR outputs. I'm going to try it again a little later and see what happens.
by Tzman999 on Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:33 pm
Upon turning it on just a little while ago, I was hearing a little bit of noise on the right main output when using either the 1/4-inch jacks or the XLRs. Suddenly, the noise was back again big time on the left main output. I switched over to the XLR main outputs and the noise persisted. I even plugged into the main mono output and plugged into one of the monitors and it was still noisy. When I went and switched back to the 1/4-inch main outputs, the noise was gone completely. I even moved the jacks around a little while they were still plugged in and the noise hasn't come back. Everything is quiet now and has been for the last 10 minutes or so as I've been typing this.

This is my main mixer that I depend on for live sound and I can't have this going on, even as an intermittent problem. I can't turn on the mixer and not know which outputs are going to be noisy, or not noisy, and for how long they'll be that way.
by mwright137 on Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:37 pm
I think it's time you get a support ticket going.

I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

Studio One 2 Pro 3.3.x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 13". OS X Sierra version 10.12.3.
RM16AI and CS18AI connected in Stagebox mode via MOTU AVB Switch.
StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by gwmullins on Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:59 pm
Tzman999,

Please post your solution when you get it. I have a 32.4.2AI and experienced the exact same problem. What I am doing to get by is to turn the gain down on all stages to make the noise go away and then cranking up the power amps. I am completely aware of proper gain staging and did not historically have this issue.

FWIW, the problem somehow resolves after about an hour at which time I can use my typical settings.

I thought this might be the result of one of the latter firmware updates - but what do I know?

Greg

Win 10 Pro, Gigabyte X58 MoBo, i7 960, 16 GB ram, Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB Sys Drive, StudioLive 32.4.2AI, 1818VSL, S1 v4.1
by tarekrabadi on Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:16 am
i have almost the same problem , i have RML32AI i have noise from the left main only noise and buz the right side work with a very minor noise i tried to update the firmware and restore the mixer with the same problem
by SwitchBack on Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:27 am
Some of these issues may be due to incorrect grounding and/or switched live/neutral power connection wires.

First check that all gear in the system has live and neutral wired to the designated terminals and that everything is properly grounded.

Then check your xlr cables for barrels connected to pin 1: replace those or remove the connection. Try to avoid the use of xlr-jack cables.

Interested to hear if that solves some of your problems :)

8 posts
Page 1 of 1