StudioLive RM32Ai and RM16Ai Mixers & UC Surface with QMix Ai
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi all,
I am sure the storms in LA have wiped out the Presonus gang for a little while and I have a bunch of questions.

So, a little about my rig. I bought the RM32ai with the goal of two things: 1) being able to record our jam sessions and work out new material but still have damn good/clean recordings 2) to record originals when the time is right. We are not playing out right now - it's just more of a weekly jam. I have a Bose L1 Model S with B2 sub that we use for the output. It is a mono only system (so I use the Mono out) so I don't have to deal with a lot of aux monitor mixes etc - just a simplified system for sure, but that being said, we use about 28 out of the 32 inputs.

Previously, I had used a Carvin C2448 - great little live mixer with a USB out so I could record the sessions. Problem was it was very difficult to dial in a good mix without "seeing" every input graphically, mostly just had to use my ears. I would just record the main mix into a stereo L/R output and then cut it up in Audacity and send it out to the band - just the clean mix of the session. Worked great for a while but had limitations.

So now I am using the RM32ai. Several questions regarding setup:

1) For the Smaart Room analysis, I purchased the PRM1 mic. But there is no "talkback" connection on the RM32AI as compared to the hardware Studiolive 32 version. I had read somewhere on the boards that for a mono system like mine, just plug into the Left Main and that will give you the mono version of the Smaart Room Wizard. The question is, where do I plug the PRM1? Into the mix outputs? When I looked at it, the mix outputs require a female XLR connector (and going from the PRM1 with a normal XLR cord gives me a male end. I did purchase a interface to give me a female end which is coming in the next few days; the only thing I can think of is to plug into one of the 16 mix outs (hardware wise), then assign that mix as the listening device for the PRM1. Presonus - you should clarify how do this on the RM32ai because the manual does not specify - we don't have that Talkback port!

2) On the UC Surface, I have figured out how to apply the Stereo Auxiliary Output to Channel 33/34 - so our last session in Capture2, it shows the signal recorded onto 33/34. But now how do I output just this 33/34 tracks so I can then cut up the session and send out for listening by the band members (I'm happy just getting a long WAV file - the session was 4 hours - then cutting it up in Audacity if I have to. Seems as tho I have the audio already, do I have to export the entire session - it takes forever to output all of the tracks, and I really only want 33/34.

Thanks in advance for your help/input!!!
by matthewgorman on Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:28 am
For smaart and talkback. Smaart eq will work on the main out peq, so use the left channel for iutput, not the mono out. Talkback uses one of the regular inputs. In uc, with the main mix in foruc, scroll all the way to the right and you will see a fader for tb. Select that fader, and you will see a drop down box, and select the tb source there. Do not use channel 1, as the RM uses that for the pink noise. Make sure to turn on phantom power for the tb source channel, and that channel needs to be set to analog.

For the capture export. You can go into the root folder for that capture session, and you should see a wav file for the channels you want. If the session was not stopped and started, it will be one file. If not you will see multiples labeled for the output.

You can also open the capture files with the included version of studio one artist, and mix, process, and export from there too.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by rowansamuel on Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:59 pm
Hi Matt,
Thanks for info.

So I saw that in Capture but what I noticed is that when I try to open that file and listened to it, none of the Studiolive EQ settings are on it (sIE - no "Male Vocal" etc, the file it's the 33/34 track in Capture root directly). But when I hit play in Capture it sounds fine. Is there a way to output it in Capture 2 inclusive of the the EQ from Studiolive?

I think I had set all of the original UC settings for each track as "Post" - I thought that includes the EQ in the track?

Let me know.

Thanks!

-Rowan

3 posts
Page 1 of 1