3 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm in the market for ADAT expansion for my RME UCX. I don't necessarily need the Preamps at the moment. I'm looking for line in expansion for Synths and drum machines. My question is this...
when using the XLR inputs as a line input does the signal bypass the preamp? Is it important to bypass the Pre? The preamps may come in handy down the road but i just need line in for now and at this price point the D8 seems like a good deal.

thx.

mac mini 2.6 quad core // RME UCX // modded GAP 73 // Warm Audio WA76// Blue Reaktor, Avantone CV-12Shure SM7B, Shure SM57 & 58 mic's // Korg ms2000b // Korg Padkontrol // Novation sl-mkii // DSI Tetra // Elektron Rytm // Moog Sub 37 // '91 American deluxe strat // Squire Jaguar bass // Martin D-15M // Arturia V-collection // Komplete 9 // UVI Vintage Vault//Lots more vst's and plugs...
by cristofe on Fri May 12, 2017 2:42 pm
"My question is this...
when using the XLR inputs as a line input does the signal bypass the preamp?"

Yes.

"Is it important to bypass the Pre?"

If you're using line level ins yes, of course. The D8 does NOT have combo jacks.
So you would, of course, be using the 1/4" line level inputs for line level signals and
the XLR jacks for mics.

This is all outlined in the manual:

http://www-media-presonus.netdna-ssl.com/downloads/products/pdf/DigiMaxD8_OwnersManual_EN.pdf

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by SwitchBack on Fri May 12, 2017 3:01 pm
I don't think the D8 has line inputs so the mic inputs will have to do. Which means that the signal will pass through the preamps. The best way forward is to use DI-boxes to go from line level to preamp input level. That also ensures correct input impedance and removes the risk of sending phantom power to the input sources.

3 posts
Page 1 of 1