4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Somewhat randomly, my audio began to clip in every application regardless of settings. Audio levels within the Revelator io24 app itself appeared fine, however any recording, streaming, or video-conferencing app I used had out-of-control clipping. Adjusting gain downward negated the clipping, but audio was then extremely muddy and quiet. There was no in-between.

I tried resetting the revelator io24 to default settings but the clipping persisted.
I reinstalled the current firmware.
I tried different USB ports and cords.
I tried different microphones and XLR cables.

The issue persisted.

I managed to "fix" the issue by changing sample rate from 44.1 kHz to 48 kHz -- why that would correct the issue, I have no idea. At that point, I was just trying anything. It certainly seems more a quirk than an actual fix. Reverting to 44.1 sample rate brought the non-stop clipping back.

Because of that, I'm leery of just leaving sample rate at 48 kHz and saying things are fine and dandy and moving on. Why would sample rate affect the clipping issue?! Has anyone else experienced this behavior? Did I inadvertently adjust a setting to cause this?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit (21H2), Studio One 5.4.1 Artist | Universal Control v3.6.1.84519 | AMD Ryzen 9 5950x | 64 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB m.2, Corsair MP600 PRO 2TB m.2 | Revelator io24 v1.19
User avatar
by bradautry on Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:58 am
Posting a follow-up. After a reboot of my PC, the clipping issue is now present at both 44.1 and 48 kHz.

Same deal as yesterday, moving Universal Control sample rate up one level - this time to 88.2 kHz - brings output levels to what they should be.

Below is a screen grab from an audio track in audacity showing the clipping levels from normal spoken word first at 48 kHz, then adjusted down to 44.1 kHz, then adjusting to 88.2 sample rate.

Literally no other setting touched. Clipping magically goes away. What is going on? If the trend continues, I'll run out of higher sample rates to move to in order to "fix" the issue.

Image

Windows 10 Home 64-bit (21H2), Studio One 5.4.1 Artist | Universal Control v3.6.1.84519 | AMD Ryzen 9 5950x | 64 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB m.2, Corsair MP600 PRO 2TB m.2 | Revelator io24 v1.19
User avatar
by SwitchBack on Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:49 am
Welcome to this forum :)

My first guess is feedback: an output feeding back into an input. Study the I/O settings for the interfaces in use including the settings for monitoring. And changing the sample rate can put an interface temporarily out of action, breaking the loop (as an explanation how sample rate can make a change).
User avatar
by bradautry on Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:04 am
Thanks for the reply, Switchback.

I just uninstalled and reinstalled UC -- a move I probably should have tried earlier on. That's resolved the issue. 'Didn't figure out the specific cause, but -- eh, all's well that ends well.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit (21H2), Studio One 5.4.1 Artist | Universal Control v3.6.1.84519 | AMD Ryzen 9 5950x | 64 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB m.2, Corsair MP600 PRO 2TB m.2 | Revelator io24 v1.19

4 posts
Page 1 of 1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest