101 postsPage 4 of 6
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
antonsherar wroteHaving the same issues...

I’m sorry that you’ve joined our little club here. Seems it’s expanding by the week! Please submit an issue to the PreSonus support so they can track serials and number of cases so it can hopefully be resolved faster.

——————

I did some testing in a similar vein to Mark’s previous testing this weekend.

I have now gotten and tested a 3rd unit (serial in the 2400 range, so about 600 higher than my 2nd unit). It has the identical issue.

I also grabbed some studio monitors (a PreSonus E5 as well as a pair of E3.5) to test the main outputs. It is definitely present in both monitors, so the main out is affected similarly to the headphone out (and the frequency of the pulsing changes with their respective outputs and with the sampling rate). Though I admit it is less noticeable, I had to put the gain up pretty high on the speakers to hear it, so with the gain lower it’s pretty much not there and I think I could live with it if it were just that. I also took a video demonstrating just how obvious the pulsing noise is on an E5: https://youtu.be/TDKFftvSyvc

With testing the main outs, I also tested balanced vs unbalanced connections (1/4” TRS on both sides for balanced and 1/4” TS to RCA for unbalanced). The noise was present in both instances and I did not note any difference between them.

I have also tried two of those ground loop isolators (MPOW and Besign specifically): both were comparable and able to mostly remove the pulsing noise from the headphones, to the point where I could probably live with it. It’s supremely annoying that it’s necessary, and if they cannot find a proper solution I may demand that they send me $10 for it. I did not try them with monitors on the main out, but I assume it would work similarly.

Finally, I grabbed a Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 ohm. I now understand why those with higher ohm headphones haven’t been complaining. The pulsing noise is definitely still there but it’s very difficult to hear it so I probably wouldn’t have noted it if I hadn’t heard it much louder in my lower impedance headphones and knew what to recognize.

And I also got a response as to why my ticket with the PreSonus support was marked as “Solved”; there’s nothing left to do from support’s perspective and so they closed it:

The issue in your previous ticket has been reported to development.

There is nothing more that Support can offer you in that regard.

Please refer to our website for future announcements and available updates.

So I guess that’s it for now! We just wait, hoping that their development team can figure out what the root cause is and a remedy for it. It doesn’t seem that their development team ever provides updates until it’s done, so I don’t think there’s much more to do besides gathering people here, telling everyone to put a ticket in, and posting reviews warning people.
by XavierGadgets on Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:14 pm
I have made a video describing the issue in detail with recording and frequency analisys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSantPTwQ4k

I "solved" the problem by connecting a battery powered headphone amplifier to the main outputs of the interface or by setting it to 88k or 96k sample rate, although it's just a hack for those who can't return it. Please watch the video and let me know if it's exactly what you are experiencing!
by stanleyipkiss1 on Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:08 am
Perhaps these are obvious -- but I will mention some of my results anyway.
Received the device this week, also encountered a noise problem and did some "tests". The noise problem recurs when the device is running on battery power and is probably not related to the quality of the power supply, as long as it is not too bad. There are two types of noise in my device, flat white noise is present on both outputs and arises from the input channels (1&2) amplifiers which are always(?) in monitoring mode unless the mute button is active, appears despite the fact that the sound indicator does not show any oscillation from input channels. "Train" noise at the main outputs appears if DSP processing is enabled along with the input channels, the problem does not appear or is less noticeable if a microphone is connected.
The noise in the headphones is still present. There is also some dependence here, if you mute playback channel when sound is played in the system, the noise will differ from the result without it.
by SwitchBack on Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:17 am
Making sure: Has anyone already tried grounding the case of the io24, preferably in combination with using a usb cable with ferrites? Some of Stanley's observations suggest shield noise.
by Mark C. on Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:27 pm
robneu wrote
Is your ticket still open? I just saw that they'd marked mine as "Solved" yesterday.

Mine was also marked as closed. But, I'll still keep investigating and pinging them for an update.

PreSonus Sphere 5.4.0.66465 | Atom v. 3.52 | Eris e5 | Studio 26c v. 1.12 | Revelator USB Mic v. 1.42 | Revelator io24 v. 1.13 | Universal Control v3.6.0.66460 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 21H1 19043.1237 | MSI B460m PRO-VDH Wifi - 10th Gen Intel Core i7-10700F - GeForce RTX 2060 - 128GB DDR4 - SSD WDS500G2B0A00WD
by XavierGadgets on Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:05 am
Mark C. wroteThanks for the upload. I have that exact same flutter noise as you do. Do you also have the high pitch in the headphones that changes when you change sample rate in Universal Control?

I have uploaded a video showing diving a bit deeper into the problem, with different sample rates and random results depending on when you stop playing back content (although it seems pretty random). I also get the high pitch sound sometimes as shown in the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSantPTwQ4k
Same link as (by XavierGadgets on Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:14 am)
by roongthamkedkovid on Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:30 am
roongthamkedkovid wroteI have the same problem. The noise is only in the headphone, but not the record. I have recorded a track with mute on. I did not see any moving bar in the monitoring window (the lowest scale in the window is approximately -66 dB).

I have ordered a ground loop isolator and will give it a try.

My headphone is Audio-Technica ATH-M40x (35 ohms).

My quick update:

My ground loop noise isolator has just arrived. To my ear, the noise is completely gone. The headphones volume is lower with the ground loop noise isolator. When I increased the headphones volume back, the noise was still absent (to my ear, at least).

I am not sure whether the sound from the headphones (with the isolator) was changed or not. I will update again.

Attachments
S__250486805.jpg
by XavierGadgets on Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:47 pm
roongthamkedkovid wrote
My ground loop noise isolator has just arrived. To my ear, the noise is completely gone. The headphones volume is lower with the ground loop noise isolator. When I increased the headphones volume back, the noise was still absent (to my ear, at least).

I am not sure whether the sound from the headphones (with the isolator) was changed or not. I will update again.

It's probably that the noise is so low volume now you can't hear it now, actually the volume of the headphone output does not affect (most of the time at least) the volume of the "ticking".

I have headphones with built in volume control (passive) - Sennheiser GAME ONE and it's almost unnoticeable, but any other headphones it's quite noticable, with Beyerdynamic T90 being very loud.
by robneu on Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:20 pm
Well, I have an actual update for everyone! The VP of Global Sales emailed me last week, stating that he had good news about the Revelator io24 issue and wanted to set up a meeting to talk about it. I had a video call with him the next day.

Their investigation basically indicated most of what we'd discovered here; there is an issue on the analog outputs. He didn’t get into too many specifics but it sounds like they suspect the cause is a bad DAC in a batch of units. They are expecting a new batch very soon (in week or two, as of now), which should not have the issue. They will replace my unit with one of these newer ones when they arrive (and they verify it does not have the issue) and then I'll be able to test it myself! :D

Not sure if anyone else received a similar email, but it sounds like they'll be reaching out to everyone who had the issue (at least those who put in tickets), likely replacing units when they do. So clearly our feedback arrived somewhere!

I’ve also been encountering more and more people with the issue. XavierGadgets and I connected on YouTube and I a few people have messaged me on Reddit as well.
by brendantawa on Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:34 pm
robneu wroteWell, I have an actual update for everyone! The VP of Global Sales emailed me last week, stating that he had good news about the Revelator io24 issue and wanted to set up a meeting to talk about it. I had a video call with him the next day.

Their investigation basically indicated most of what we'd discovered here; there is an issue on the analog outputs. He didn’t get into too many specifics but it sounds like they suspect the cause is a bad DAC in a batch of units. They are expecting a new batch very soon (in week or two, as of now), which should not have the issue. They will replace my unit with one of these newer ones when they arrive (and they verify it does not have the issue) and then I'll be able to test it myself! :D

Not sure if anyone else received a similar email, but it sounds like they'll be reaching out to everyone who had the issue (at least those who put in tickets), likely replacing units when they do. So clearly our feedback arrived somewhere!

I’ve also been encountering more and more people with the issue. XavierGadgets and I connected on YouTube and I a few people have messaged me on Reddit as well.

This is great news. I've been hitting this issue as well. For a while I wasn't able to add to the discussion. Let us know when they move towards next steps.
by ryanjones34 on Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:56 pm
EDIT:Only changed the kind of noise, reduce some noises, but didn't reduce them all to zero. Noise very much still there.

I may have a solution. I recently bought a Revelator io24 that also made noises, particularly when playing games. First my cheap headphones (which was terrible and the noise was super loud), and then later also with a pair of Sony MDR-ZX770BN (less but still noticable). It seemed that as power was fluctuating in my system during game play, power draw to my GPU would seem to lower the noise and vice versa.
My solution was to get a powered USB hub, a Delock one. They have one with a USB C port but it is only for power, no data transfer so it won't work.

https://www.delock.com/produkte/G_63263/merkmale.html

After using this, there is a significant difference than before. After reading what others have said and now with this improvement, it does seem to be a power issue. I highly recommend a solution with an external power supply. Your mileage my vary with different electrical, computer and audio gear set ups.

Oh, lastly this little USB hub allows me to switch off the Revelator via the USB hub which is great as I sleep in the same room as my PC. So that a little bonus.
Last edited by ryanjones34 on Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
by brendantawa on Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:07 am
ryanjones34 wroteI may have a solution. I recently bought a Revelator io24 that also made noises, particularly when playing games. First my cheap headphones (which was terrible and the noise was super loud), and then later also with a pair of Sony MDR-ZX770BN (less but still noticable). It seemed that as power was fluctuating in my system during game play, power draw to my GPU would seem to lower the noise and vice versa.
My solution was to get a powered USB hub, a Delock one. They have one with a USB C port but it is only for power, no data transfer so it won't work.

After using this, there is a significant difference than before. After reading what others have said and now with this improvement, it does seem to be a power issue. I highly recommend a solution with an external power supply. Your mileage my vary with different electrical, computer and audio gear set ups.

Oh, lastly this little USB hub allows me to switch off the Revelator via the USB hub which is great as I sleep in the same room as my PC. So that a little bonus.

I have mine plugged into a powered USB hub and I still get the noise.
by ryanjones34 on Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:05 am
brendantawa wrote
ryanjones34 wroteI may have a solution. I recently bought a Revelator io24 that also made noises, particularly when playing games. First my cheap headphones (which was terrible and the noise was super loud), and then later also with a pair of Sony MDR-ZX770BN (less but still noticable). It seemed that as power was fluctuating in my system during game play, power draw to my GPU would seem to lower the noise and vice versa.

I have mine plugged into a powered USB hub and I still get the noise.

I also still get the noise, it is different, but still there. It seems to be less when I first turn on the interface and over a bit of time it gets worse. Still better for my Sony headphones but it doesn't fix the problem. So not a solution unfortunately. I'll contact PreSonus and the music store I bought it off to see about a replacement as mention in previous posts.
by ifgfepeh on Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:27 am
I'm also getting exactly the same fluttering noise, I'm using AIAIAI studio preset headphones. Doesn't matter if the unit is plugged into my desktop, laptop or external power supply I still get the same noises.

I've lodged a support ticket tonight. Hopefully there's a fix as I really like the features of the interface and don't really want to return it for a refund.

Cheers
Dan
by robneu on Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:47 am
Another small update: the new batch of units has arrived (they'd originally said a week or two; it was about a week and half in total, so I'd say they're pretty on point). They said they've verified that these units do not exhibit the issue so they're sending me one of them in the next few days, so I'd expect to receive it in the next week.
by Mark C. on Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:43 pm
robneu wroteAnother small update: the new batch of units has arrived (they'd originally said a week or two; it was about a week and half in total, so I'd say they're pretty on point). They said they've verified that these units do not exhibit the issue so they're sending me one of them in the next few days, so I'd expect to receive it in the next week.

Yes! Tell them I'll take a replacement and some Gumbo to go with it. :thumbup:

PreSonus Sphere 5.4.0.66465 | Atom v. 3.52 | Eris e5 | Studio 26c v. 1.12 | Revelator USB Mic v. 1.42 | Revelator io24 v. 1.13 | Universal Control v3.6.0.66460 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 21H1 19043.1237 | MSI B460m PRO-VDH Wifi - 10th Gen Intel Core i7-10700F - GeForce RTX 2060 - 128GB DDR4 - SSD WDS500G2B0A00WD
by brendantawa on Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:51 pm
Sweetwater as well as a Presonus rep reached out to me confirming they would be replacing my unit which exhibited the symptoms we've all been talking about. Definitely progress.
by Mark C. on Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:56 pm
I have also been contacted by PreSonus who said I have a replacement unit on the way. Looking forward to evaluating it.

by byronsteele1 on Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:27 pm
This is all good news for me. Same issues. I had been running my outputs through a submixer which masked the issue on the main outs. It does vary a little depending on which USB out I use on my PC. I'm contemplating opening up my PC and seeing if there is another 5v rail I can use to see if that helps at all.
It's a pity, because otherwise I love it. None of the reviews I watched mentioned it, so hopefully it is fixable.
by brendantawa on Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:30 pm
byronsteele1 wroteThis is all good news for me. Same issues. I had been running my outputs through a submixer which masked the issue on the main outs. It does vary a little depending on which USB out I use on my PC. I'm contemplating opening up my PC and seeing if there is another 5v rail I can use to see if that helps at all.
It's a pity, because otherwise I love it. None of the reviews I watched mentioned it, so hopefully it is fixable.

I would hold off. Many of us have replacement units on the way. Additionally from the various scenarios that people have tried, I don't think that moving to a different USB header or anything will change the behavior. Hopefully, in the next few days we'll be able to update whether the issue is fixed or not.

101 postsPage 4 of 6
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6