101 postsPage 2 of 6
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Mark C. wrote
robneu wroteI recorded this and posted it to YouTube: https://youtu.be/N_N7KodGmP8, if anyone else comes here to try and figure out what we’re talking about.

Thanks for the upload. I have that exact same flutter noise as you do. Do you also have the high pitch in the headphones that changes when you change sample rate in Universal Control?

Yes, exactly! It seems to be the worst when the sampling rate is 48 kHz
by Mark C. on Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:30 pm
I can confirm that adding this device

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06XQYN77L?psc=1

has helped lessen the high pitch sound coming through the headphones.

It is still there. But not as loud. My best guess it that it cut the noise level down 50-60%.

PreSonus Sphere 5.4.0.66465 | Atom v. 3.52 | Eris e5 | Studio 26c v. 1.12 | Revelator USB Mic v. 1.42 | Revelator io24 v. 1.13 | Universal Control v3.6.0.66460 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 21H1 19043.1237 | MSI B460m PRO-VDH Wifi - 10th Gen Intel Core i7-10700F - GeForce RTX 2060 - 128GB DDR4 - SSD WDS500G2B0A00WD
by robneu on Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:07 pm
Mark C. wroteI can confirm that adding this device

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06XQYN77L?psc=1

has helped lessen the high pitch sound coming through the headphones.

It is still there. But not as loud. My best guess it that it cut the noise level down 50-60%.

I purchased that exact item as well and a another similar one (to compare between them). They'll get here either tomorrow or Friday and I'll report back how it affects my uses. My main concern with it is that according to that reddit post, it may change the sound slightly. If it does work and I'm satisfied with the sound, I'd be inclined to request that PreSonus cover the cost for fixing this issue (ie the $10.71 it cost me with tax)
by Mark C. on Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:38 pm
It didn't fully resolve for me. Sound is still noticeable. Better. But not 100% fixed.

PreSonus Sphere 5.4.0.66465 | Atom v. 3.52 | Eris e5 | Studio 26c v. 1.12 | Revelator USB Mic v. 1.42 | Revelator io24 v. 1.13 | Universal Control v3.6.0.66460 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 21H1 19043.1237 | MSI B460m PRO-VDH Wifi - 10th Gen Intel Core i7-10700F - GeForce RTX 2060 - 128GB DDR4 - SSD WDS500G2B0A00WD
by Trucky on Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:01 pm
I'm not doubting the issues you guys are having but I'm not hearing any noise with the headphone output on my Revelator io24. I'm using Sony MDR-7506 headphones (63 ohms) and it sounds great (plenty of gain too) to me.

PLEASE ADD YOUR SYSTEM SPECS TO YOUR SIGNATURE.
Download the SO 6 PDF MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) Subject 2) Description 3) Country 4) Product 5) OS 6) Audio Software

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (23H2), Studio One 6.5.2 Professional | Notion 6.8.2 | Universal Control v4.2.0.96206
Intel NUC 13 (Intel i5-1340P, Intel Iris Xe Graphics, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD, Revelator, SIII 32
by Mark C. on Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:23 pm
Trucky,

That's good! That means either we have a problem in our environments that can be isolated or we got our units from a bad batch. Both are resolvable.

My headphones are ATH-M20x 47 ohms

Higher ohm headphones have been mentioned before. Only issue there is that it says no where in the docs or on the box or website that higher ohm are required for the device.

by qxakiazl on Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:33 am
I am a bit wary adding any kind of noise filter to the analog part of the signal chain, because I would expect it to have a negative impact on overall sound quality as well – especially as I am pretty sure that the issue is not caused by any kind of ground loop. The USB filter (iDefender+) didn't result in any change for me.

To add further evidence, here are two more reviews mentioning the noise (both translated from German using DeepL):

https://www.bonedo.de/artikel/export/pr ... -test.html:
However, the headphone output has to put up with a bit of criticism. In contrast to the very clean output signal via the line outs, a slight "USB buzz" can be perceived with both headphones used during the test (Adam Audio SP-5, Audio-Technica ATH-M50). This is no drama and probably irrelevant for many applications, but for the critical and final check of a mastering there are more suitable interfaces or headphone outputs. In the case of the Revelator there are of course further options via the line outputs (e.g. monitor controller, external headphone amplifier) for more sophisticated headphone monitoring.

https://www.amazona.de/test-presonus-re ... interface/:
However, I did find one small negative point: The headphone amplifier emits quiet noise.
Last edited by qxakiazl on Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
by robneu on Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:43 am
Trucky wroteI'm not doubting the issues you guys are having but I'm not hearing any noise with the headphone output on my Revelator io24. I'm using Sony MDR-7506 headphones (63 ohms) and it sounds great (plenty of gain too) to me.

I'm really curious what all you have plugged in. I can hear this pulsing noise at literally zero gain, when set to 48.0 kHz sampling rate, with literally only my headphones and the USB cable plugged in.

The headphones I've tried
    Moondrop Starfields: 32Ω
    Philips SHP9500: 32Ω
    Apple Buds (what I had lying around the house): ???

So this may be a case of higher impedance is somewhat better but I agree with Mark C; if that was required (which I think is quite silly), it should be disclosed quite clearly.

On a related note, the support agent I was messaging back and forth with asked me to try higher impedance headphones as well, specifically stating "200 ohms and above". I told them that I didn't have any to test so :| .

Their reply after that indicates to me that they have no idea currently, but I hope they are actually investigating :reading: and figure it out ASAP:

We're sorry you're having this issue, and we will be reporting this to the development team.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention—feedback from customers like you is a critical asset to the improvement of our hardware and software!

We will alert you through a support ticket follow-up to notify you if and when an update is available and where to get it.

We recommend reading the latest release notes when our software is updated to see if your issue is resolved.
by qxakiazl on Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:13 am
I'm really curious what all you have plugged in. I can hear this pulsing noise at literally zero gain, when set to 48.0 kHz sampling rate, with literally only my headphones and the USB cable plugged in.

Same for me. I can confirm the noise is audible with:

* B&O H6 (30ohm)
* beyerdynamic DT-297 (80ohm version)
* beyerdynamic DT-297 (250ohm version)

Yes, it does get a bit quieter with higher-impedance headphones, but I can still clearly hear it. Also, the io24 is rated for 32ohm to 300ohm headphones as per official specs, so I don't really buy the recommendation to switch headphones.
by robneu on Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:51 am
qxakiazl wroteI am a bit wary adding any kind of noise filter to the analog part of the signal chain, because I would expect it to have a negative impact on overall sound quality as well – especially as I am pretty sure that it's not caused by any kind of ground loop. The USB filter (iDefender+) didn't result in any change for me.

qxakiazl wrote I don't really buy the recommendation to switch headphones.

I completely agree with both of these points. Switching headphones is not a solution it likely just masks the problem a bit better, and it's possible that as the device ages it will get worse, we just don't know right now.

I'm not expecting much from those isolation devices, I'm mostly just hoping it may help to provide a bit more information to the development team so they can solve it in firmware if they can (so we can just get an update and be done) or in hardware if necessary (and RMA the unit)
by SwitchBack on Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:12 am
robneu wroteSo this may be a case of higher impedance is somewhat better but I agree with Mark C; if that was required (which I think is quite silly), it should be disclosed quite clearly..

The io24 specs say 32 to 300 Ohms working range for the headphone output, so the phones you’re using are right on the limit.

As for silly: not at all. Remember that low impedance headphones need more input current than higher impedance ones for the same driver power. All other things equal it means that for minimum impedance the SMPS in the interface has to work a lot harder and at a disproportionately higher input current too. The MDR 7506 is 63 Ohms and apparently preforms fine so 32 Ohms was maybe a bit too ambitious to put in the specs, but not by much.

I also saw on this forum a thread by someone who had two io24s fail in quick succession. I wonder if that was with sub 32 Ohms phones and that 32 Ohms is pushing it for more than one reason...
by robneu on Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:04 am
SwitchBack wrote
robneu wroteSo this may be a case of higher impedance is somewhat better but I agree with Mark C; if that was required (which I think is quite silly), it should be disclosed quite clearly..

The io24 specs say 32 to 300 Ohms working range for the headphone output, so the phones you’re using are right on the limit.

As for silly: not at all. Remember that low impedance headphones need more input current than higher impedance ones for the same driver power. All other things equal it means that for minimum impedance the SMPS in the interface has to work a lot harder and at a disproportionately higher input current too. The MDR 7506 is 63 Ohms and apparently preforms fine so 32 Ohms was maybe a bit too ambitious to put in the specs, but not by much.

I also saw on this forum a thread by someone who had two io24s fail in quick succession. I wonder if that was with sub 32 Ohms phones and that 32 Ohms is pushing it for more than one reason...

I hadn't looked closely at the io24 specs, so thank you for the explanation. I do have a decent understanding of electronics but I'm clearly still pretty uninformed about audio stuff. I'd never considered that my headphone impedance was too low. In purchasing them, I had mostly avoided high impedance ones so I wouldn't have to get a separate amp (as it is my understanding that it is sometimes or even often necessary, obviously depending on the impedance). At this point I'd like to keep using what I have as I don't want to spend money on other headphones when I'm otherwise quite happy with the headphones I have.

I'm just very frustrated that this unit is not working in my use case. I was just looking for an upgrade to get integrated DSP for my mic and wasn't expecting issues with headphones as my previous, and significantly cheaper, interface handled my headphones just fine (Native Instruments Komplete Audio 2, which doesn't look to even specifies a impedance range, just an output power at a given impedance)
by SwitchBack on Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:33 am
Yeah, it must be annoying for sure.

To check the impedance theory I wonder if you're able to do an experiment: insert series resistors of 10 Ohms (100mW type is sufficient) in both the left and right wires of the headphones. Can be very MacGyver style with a breakout cable and clothes-pegs. Just to see if it
a. reduces or even removes the noise
b. affects the sound of the headphones (especially the low end)
by Mark C. on Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:27 am
SwitchBack wroteYeah, it must be annoying for sure.

To check the impedance theory I wonder if you're able to do an experiment: insert series resistors of 10 Ohms (100mW type is sufficient) in both the left and right wires of the headphones. Can be very MacGyver style with a breakout cable and clothes-pegs. Just to see if it

Wouldn't it also be a hearing safety issue? Thinking that a constant 44.1-96.0Khz can't be good for you.

by SwitchBack on Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:48 pm
Mark C. wrote
SwitchBack wroteYeah, it must be annoying for sure.

Wouldn't it also be a hearing safety issue? Thinking that a constant 44.1-96.0Khz can't be good for you.

If it works then the resistors will prevent the SMPS from generating the noise rather than suppressing the noise in the headphones. The only possible drawback is the high-pass filter you get when putting a resistor in front of an inductive load like a headphone driver. Depending on the properties of the driver the corner frequency of that filter can be above or well below 20Hz, i.e. audible or not.

As for 44.1-96kHz frequencies that's well above what you can hear so no hearing damage to fear.
by Mark C. on Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:48 pm
If it works then the resistors will prevent the SMPS from generating the noise rather than suppressing the noise in the headphones. The only possible drawback is the high-pass filter you get when putting a resistor in front of an inductive load like a headphone driver. Depending on the properties of the driver the corner frequency of that filter can be above or well below 20Hz, i.e. audible or not.

As for 44.1-96kHz frequencies that's well above what you can hear so no hearing damage to fear.

Gotcha. I'm not prepared to do those McGyver things. But I hope PreSonus is reading this and considers that.

Good about the frequencies. But I can tell you that the constant high pitch I hear in the headphones does bother me after a long period. I'm using this for conferencing for work.

by paulabbest on Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:24 am
Hey,

I have the exact same problem, i don't know if i should return my product or contact PreSonus...

Like, i have the exact same interferences like you, and it's so annoying... :/

Maybe this could help ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_N7Kod ... nel=RobNeu
by robneu on Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:28 am
paulabbest wroteHey,

I have the exact same problem, i don't know if i should return my product or contact PreSonus...

Whether you decide to return it or not (I’m still debating myself), PLEASE CONTACT PreSonus by opening a support ticket. The more people that raise this issue the more likely they’ll get it resolved faster (ie prioritize it more).

I’d also post a review where you got it stating that there’s a known issue that seems to affect some units and I’d be wary of buying one until the issue is resolved (that’s my honest opinion on the matter right now), to put more pressure on them, because they have not yet really acknowledged it as an issue (in my support ticket they’ve only really said they’re investigating it).

That YouTube clip is mine (I also posted it earlier in this thread) and I did send it to support. I assume that’s the same thing you’re hearing?
by paulabbest on Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:52 am
robneu wrote
paulabbest wroteHey,

Whether you decide to return it or not (I’m still debating myself), PLEASE CONTACT PreSonus by opening a support ticket. The more people that raise this issue the more likely they’ll get it resolved faster (ie prioritize it more).

I’d also post a review where you got it stating that there’s a known issue that seems to affect some units and I’d be wary of buying one until the issue is resolved (that’s my honest opinion on the matter right now), to put more pressure on them, because they have not yet really acknowledged it as an issue (in my support ticket they’ve only really said they’re investigating it).

That YouTube clip is mine (I also posted it earlier in this thread) and I did send it to support. I assume that’s the same thing you’re hearing?

Hey, thanks for the reply, i've just created a ticket on PreSonus support website :)
by Mark C. on Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:55 pm
Just an observation.

The difference between the original serial number I purchased from the replacement model sent is 1,681 units.

I have no idea if they were from a same "batch" or not.

101 postsPage 2 of 6
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6