101 postsPage 3 of 6
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Mark C. wroteJust an observation.

The difference between the original serial number I purchased from the replacement model sent is 1,681 units.

I have no idea if they were from a same "batch" or not.

With your replacement batch, you don't have the interferences problem anymore?
by Mark C. on Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:12 pm
paulabbest wrote
Mark C. wroteJust an observation.

The difference between the original serial number I purchased from the replacement model sent is 1,681 units.
I have no idea if they were from a same "batch" or not.

With your replacement batch, you don't have the interferences problem anymore?

Never said that. I still have the problem.

PreSonus Sphere 5.4.0.66465 | Atom v. 3.52 | Eris e5 | Studio 26c v. 1.12 | Revelator USB Mic v. 1.42 | Revelator io24 v. 1.13 | Universal Control v3.6.0.66460 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 21H1 19043.1237 | MSI B460m PRO-VDH Wifi - 10th Gen Intel Core i7-10700F - GeForce RTX 2060 - 128GB DDR4 - SSD WDS500G2B0A00WD
by Mark C. on Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:26 pm
After I told support yesterday that their recommendation to use higher ohm headphones was not a fix, I have heard nothing back. I asked for an action plan and requested a remote session with a higher level engineer. Trying to help. No response today. Crickets. :?

PreSonus Sphere 5.4.0.66465 | Atom v. 3.52 | Eris e5 | Studio 26c v. 1.12 | Revelator USB Mic v. 1.42 | Revelator io24 v. 1.13 | Universal Control v3.6.0.66460 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 21H1 19043.1237 | MSI B460m PRO-VDH Wifi - 10th Gen Intel Core i7-10700F - GeForce RTX 2060 - 128GB DDR4 - SSD WDS500G2B0A00WD
by robneu on Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:35 pm
Mark C. wroteApprox. 700 from you. (You might want to hide your s/n so no one else can reference it.)

Good call; I’ve done that. I think it’s still in your original quote of me though (which you can just edit out)

Mark C. wroteAfter I told support yesterday that their recommendation to use higher ohm headphones was not a fix, I have heard nothing back. I asked for an action plan and requested a remote session with a higher level engineer. Trying to help. No response today. Crickets. :?

Interesting. When I told them I didn’t have any to try, they asked a few more questions and then a “Technical Support Lead” started responding (previous responses were from “Tech Support”). They haven’t responded to me since yesterday either so they may be off on Fridays or something as they were very quick to respond throughout the week (usually within a few hours)
by Mark C. on Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:40 pm
robneu wrote
Mark C. wroteApprox. 700 from you. (You might want to hide your s/n so no one else can reference it.)

Good call; I’ve done that. I think it’s still in your original quote of me though (which you can just edit out)

Mark C. wroteAfter I told support yesterday that their recommendation to use higher ohm headphones was not a fix, I have heard nothing back. I asked for an action plan and requested a remote session with a higher level engineer. Trying to help. No response today. Crickets. :?

Interesting. When I told them I didn’t have any to try, they asked a few more questions and then a “Technical Support Lead” started responding (previous responses were from “Tech Support”). They haven’t responded to me since yesterday either so they may be off on Fridays or something as they were very quick to respond throughout the week (usually within a few hours)

I changed it. yeah. Maybe they were all off today chowing down on some good cajun food or something. And I forgot they may have been affected from the recent hurricane. I need to be more patient. :)

by Mark C. on Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:41 am
UPDATE

Headphone Results:
Tried a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250 ohm headphones. The noise is lessened. But, it is still present.

Config 1: Audio-Technica ATH-M20x 47ohm = 100% of the noise
Config 2: Audio-Technica ATH-M20x 47ohm + 3.5mm Ground Loop Noise Isolator = 50% of the noise
Config 3: New Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm = 35% of the noise
Config 4: New Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm + 3.5mm Ground Loop Noise Isolator = 10% of the noise

Note: The benefit of the lower noise level using the DT 770 Pro's could simply be a result of the lower overall volume output.

Summary: Higher ohm, more expensive headphones do NOT fix the issue.

Ground Loop Noise Isolator: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XQYN77L?psc=1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flutter noise:

The fluttering sound coming from the monitor mains has not lessened. A recording of that posted in his thread is exactly the same as what I hear from the main outs. And yes, new, higher quality TRS cables have been tried with no positive effect.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Type-C USB-C to USB 3.0 Male & USB 2.0 Dual Power Data Y Cable Test
@SwitchBack

Added a new Type-C USB-C to USB 3.0 Male & USB 2.0 Dual Power Data Y Cable to test the suggestion that there may not be enough poser coming from my USB jacks to the device.

Result: No change at all. 100% of the noise is still present.

Cable: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VVX257H?psc=1
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Short summary: Buying additional devices to fix this issue only lessens the overall noise level in the headphones. The noise from the main outs is not lessened at all.

by robneu on Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:56 am
Mark C. wrote
Flutter noise:

The fluttering sound coming from the monitor mains has not lessened. A recording of that posted in his thread is exactly the same as what I hear from the main outs. And yes, new, higher quality TRS cables have been tried with no positive effect.

I was not aware that you (or anyone else) were hearing noises on the main outputs as well as the headphone output. Is that flutter noise on the mains output the same as the one I posted from the headphone output? Are you hearing the same noise on the main out as the headphone out or are they different?

I haven't tested the main outputs on mine so I can't corroborate anything with that right now, but the headphone out is definitely an issue.
by Mark C. on Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:05 am
robneu wrote
I was not aware that you (or anyone else) were hearing noises on the main outputs as well as the headphone output. Is that flutter noise on the mains output the same as the one I posted from the headphone output? Are you hearing the same noise on the main out as the headphone out or are they different?

I haven't tested the main outputs on mine so I can't corroborate anything with that right now, but the headphone out is definitely an issue.

Yes, the flutter I hear on the main outs is the exact same as you recorded. I hear it on both the original and the replacement units.

When I plug in my Eris e5's to the back of the unit into the 2 main outs, I hear the flutter noise. I have tested this with 3 different sets of monitors. It is not very loud and does not hurt my ears like the high pitch we hear in the headphones.

So far, I have not heard it in a recording. But, I haven't recorded much because of this issue. I've mainly been using the unit for work (audio conferencing, zoom skype) until the issue is fixed and I can trust that the noise will never appear in a recording.

If anyone has a good way for me to record the flutter from the main out, let me know and I'll do that. I have PreSonus Sphere to use for that.

by robneu on Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:23 am
Mark C. wrote
Yes, the flutter I hear on the main outs is the exact same as you recorded. I hear it on both the original and the replacement units.

When I plug in my Eris e5's to the back of the unit into the 2 main outs, I hear the flutter noise. I have tested this with 3 different sets of monitors. It is not very loud and does not hurt my ears like the high pitch we hear in the headphones.

So far, I have not heard it in a recording. But, I haven't recorded much because of this issue. I've mainly been using the unit for work (audio conferencing, zoom skype) until the issue is fixed and I can trust that the noise will never appear in a recording.

If anyone has a good way for me to record the flutter from the main out, let me know and I'll do that. I have PreSonus Sphere to use for that.

Interesting. My recording was from the headphone out and I just used my iPhone 12 (pressed one of the earbuds against the mic on the back of the phone). I would have thought just about anything would be able to capture it from a studio monitor. However I'm not quite understanding what you're hearing. Is the noise you're hearing on the mains out:
- different from the headphone out
- the same as on the headphone out but at a different pitch (frequency)
- the same as on the headphone out but at a different volume (amplitude)

Also, does frequency of the noise change slightly as you change the gain on the output, like I demonstrated in that video?
by Mark C. on Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:36 pm
robneu wrote
Interesting. My recording was from the headphone out and I just used my iPhone 12 (pressed one of the earbuds against the mic on the back of the phone). I would have thought just about anything would be able to capture it from a studio monitor. However I'm not quite understanding what you're hearing. Is the noise you're hearing on the mains out:
- different from the headphone out
- the same as on the headphone out but at a different pitch (frequency)
- the same as on the headphone out but at a different volume (amplitude)

Also, does frequency of the noise change slightly as you change the gain on the output, like I demonstrated in that video?

I don't hear the flutter in my headphones at all. Only from the monitors. From the monitors, the noise is hard to record as my computer is making fan noise in the room which masks it.

In the headphones, I only hear the high pitch that changes when you change sample rates in Universal Control.

by robneu on Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:20 pm
Mark C. wrote
I don't hear the flutter in my headphones at all. Only from the monitors. From the monitors, the noise is hard to record as my computer is making fan noise in the room which masks it.

In the headphones, I only hear the high pitch that changes when you change sample rates in Universal Control.

Huh. Very interesting. I think I'll grab a pair of E5's from Amazon warehouse to test and corroborate your tests.
by Mark C. on Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:23 pm
robneu wrote
Huh. Very interesting. I think I'll grab a pair of E5's from Amazon warehouse to test and corroborate your tests.

I checked my monitors and saw that my Input Gain was very low. I turned it up to Unity and can hear the fluttering noise more now.

by SwitchBack on Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:00 am
OK, new experiment: Ground the case of the io24, ideally in combination with using a usb cable with ferrites.

The idea here is that maybe PSU noise from the computer (chassis) makes it through to the io24 chassis. If so then that noise will be present on all audio ground pins/barrels too. For balanced connections (microphones, balanced active speaker inputs) this is less of a problem than for the unbalanced headphone output.

To test this you can run a wire from a jack barrel or from a screw on the back of the io24 to a good ground reference (water pipe, ...). Using a usb cable with ferrites helps because it increases the AC impedance between computer and interface chassis.

This also begs the question if those with noise problems use grounded wall sockets and power cables for their computers. Laptops especially are notorious for using double-isolated AC adapters, which makes the computer chassis ‘float’.
by robneu on Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:18 am
Wouldn’t running exclusively on DC power (like the internal battery of a laptop) eliminate a noisy PSU being relevant entirely? I literally walked around my house with my laptop just running off battery and nothing else (MacBook Air -> USB C to C cable -> Revelator io24 -> 1/4 to 3.5 adapter -> headphones) and the noise was still present and the same.

Has anyone received a response to their ticket this week? I haven’t gotten anything in about a week.
by SwitchBack on Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:31 am
The laptop will generate HF noise no matter if it’s running on AC power or on battery power, and cable shields (usb/mic/headphones/...) can emit some of that energy. That will then result in AC voltages between cable ends. Grounding the interface eliminates any HF noise, keeping the audio cable shieds ‘clean’. Easy to test :)
by Mark C. on Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:11 pm
robneu wroteHas anyone received a response to their ticket this week? I haven’t gotten anything in about a week.

The only response I got was that my ticket has been sent to development for further work.

by Mark C. on Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:20 pm
SwitchBack wrote
This also begs the question if those with noise problems use grounded wall sockets and power cables for their computers. Laptops especially are notorious for using double-isolated AC adapters, which makes the computer chassis ‘float’.

The laptop will generate HF noise no matter if it’s running on AC power or on battery power, and cable shields (usb/mic/headphones/...) can emit some of that energy. That will then result in AC voltages between cable ends. Grounding the interface eliminates any HF noise, keeping the audio cable shields ‘clean’. Easy to test :)

I'm not an electrician. But I do have all new wiring, sockets, plates, outlets, etc. The entire house was gutted and rebuilt. I've also had an electrical inspection by the county. And 2 different electricians have come out to test every single thing. (The previous fire was caused by an electrical connection. Therefore, I'm making double-triple sure of all electricals in this house.) And I've done my own testing using various electrical tools. At this point, we only found one issue with a motion sensor security light on the outside of the house. No other electrical issues have been found.

Like Rob N., I also tested with a laptop running on battery. And I had the exact same issues.

by roongthamkedkovid on Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:25 am
I have the same problem. The noise is only in the headphone, but not the record. I have recorded a track with mute on. I did not see any moving bar in the monitoring window (the lowest scale in the window is approximately -66 dB).

I have ordered a ground loop isolator and will give it a try.

My headphone is Audio-Technica ATH-M40x (35 ohms).
by robneu on Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:29 pm
Mark C. wrote
robneu wroteHas anyone received a response to their ticket this week? I haven’t gotten anything in about a week.

The only response I got was that my ticket has been sent to development for further work.

Is your ticket still open? I just saw that they'd marked mine as "Solved" yesterday.
by antonsherar on Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:08 am
Having the same issues...

101 postsPage 3 of 6
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6