9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Edit: use dB scale in Windows instead of percentage. 0dB on Mic/Inst 1/2 is 53.68811% in the current Windows drivers. If you set Windows to 100%, you will get clipping issues (100% equals +30dB).

Hi.

How is the Windows Volume Level supposed to be set for the different playback and recording devices?

If I test in Audacity, then I will get really strange results.
Mic/Inst 1/2 has different volume dependent on if I am using WASAPI, DirectSound or MME.

If I have the Mic/Inst 1/2 on 100% I get massive clipping. This is not the case for the Stream Mix ones.

Left top is Stream Mix B (100% volume at 0db)
Right top is mic/inst 1/2 (100% volume at ?)
Both spoken at the same level.
Also tried a +10db on the mic for the Stream Mix B, but even that was not as loud as the mic/inst.

Bottom is mic/inst 1/2 with different APIs, recorded white noise. WASPI being a lot lauder (audio source and mic not moved).

In Universal control the monitor on all mix tabs look the same.

Thanks in advance. :)
Last edited by oddbjrnbakke on Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:12 am, edited 5 times in total.
by bradautry on Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:47 am
This may not be particularly helpful, but I'll post anyhow. I had a really weird clipping issue with Mic/Inst 1/2 output last month. I exclusively use mic/inst 1/2 output, so I can't say whether the issue was there for loopback/stream mix outputs.

My forum post is here, as reference: https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=411&t=47254

I tried several things to address it. I won't go through the entire tale, but what "fixed" it for me ultimately was just uninstalling and reinstalling Universal Control. The mystery wasn't solved, but at least it was fixed.

Stuff
by oddbjrnbakke on Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:12 pm
I tried to download a new app and uninstall/reinstall. Interesting enough it had a newer version, and came with a firmware update:
v1.21 3.6.2.85277
v1.19 3.6.1.84519

However, this did not solve the problem. I will try some more.

But just a simple question, do you people adjust volume in the the Playback and Virtual A/B, Mic and Stream Mix or in Windows (with volume set there to 100%)?
by wijnandgaanderse on Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:07 am
I am still figuring that out too.
I have windows using playback as default audio output at 100% volume. I read somewhere that if i set windows volume at 100% it should be 0dB (unity). But if i play music or play games or whatever I will often see the VU-meter on the main output peak. (not noticing any distortion though. maybe it is to subtle?)

If I set windows at 50% volume and leave the gain on the playback channel at unity gain, everything plays nicely at about -12dB (does greatly vary, depending on the audio source i play, e.g. YouTube, Games, System Sounds,..)
BUT having the level set at 50% brings a lot of other issues e.g. when using Studio One to record and create audio stuff:
At 100% windows volume, the volumes in studio one and the exported mixdown match 100%.
At 50% windows volume, the volume in studio one seems to bypass the windows volume settings completely for playback/recording except for the exported mixdown (all nicely mastered and shown at around -12db in StudioOne), which will have a 50% decreased overall volume when played in windows(VLC) and even when reimported in StudioOne. But maybe that is another issue for another subsection of this forum.
by Trucky on Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:06 pm
oddbjrnbakke wroteI tried to download a new app and uninstall/reinstall. Interesting enough it had a newer version, and came with a firmware update:
v1.21 3.6.2.85277
v1.19 3.6.1.84519

However, this did not solve the problem. I will try some more.

But just a simple question, do you people adjust volume in the the Playback and Virtual A/B, Mic and Stream Mix or in Windows (with volume set there to 100%)?

I set my volume in Windows to 80%.

PLEASE ADD YOUR SYSTEM SPECS TO YOUR SIGNATURE.
Download the SO 6 PDF MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) Subject 2) Description 3) Country 4) Product 5) OS 6) Audio Software

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (23H2), Studio One 6.5.2 Professional | Notion 6.8.2 | Universal Control v4.2.0.96206
Intel NUC 13 (Intel i5-1340P, Intel Iris Xe Graphics, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD, Revelator, SIII 32
by oddbjrnbakke on Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:00 am
wijnandgaanderse wroteI am still figuring that out too.
I have windows using playback as default audio output at 100% volume. I read somewhere that if i set windows volume at 100% it should be 0dB (unity). But if i play music or play games or whatever I will often see the VU-meter on the main output peak. (not noticing any distortion though. maybe it is to subtle?)

If I set windows at 50% volume and leave the gain on the playback channel at unity gain, everything plays nicely at about -12dB (does greatly vary, depending on the audio source i play, e.g. YouTube, Games, System Sounds,..)
BUT having the level set at 50% brings a lot of other issues e.g. when using Studio One to record and create audio stuff:
At 100% windows volume, the volumes in studio one and the exported mixdown match 100%.
At 50% windows volume, the volume in studio one seems to bypass the windows volume settings completely for playback/recording except for the exported mixdown (all nicely mastered and shown at around -12db in StudioOne), which will have a 50% decreased overall volume when played in windows(VLC) and even when reimported in StudioOne. But maybe that is another issue for another subsection of this forum.

The way I have set it up now in Windows is:
Inputs:
Mic/Inst 1/2 (not in app): Always 50% (or I will get massive clipping)
Main (not in windows, 0db): (used to speakers, muted mic channels, everything else unmuted)
Stream Mix A (0db): Always 100% (default input device, everything muted except mics)
Stream Mix B (0db): Always 100% (headphone source, everything unmuted)

Output:
Playback (0db): 50-70% (default audio output)
Virtual Output A (0db): 10-30% (used for music, at 100% in player, that is loud)
Virtual Output B (0db): 100% (default Communication output, adjusted on demand)

From my understanding the Mic/Inst 1/2 should not be used, and are not the recommended option in the updated manuals. This is only for Studio One and similar apps.

Also these apps is supposed to uses ASIO (I think), at least I cannot see any difference if I change the Windows Volume. Audacity is an exception, since that one does not support ASIO. At least there is a lot of PreSonus stuff in OBS as ASIO if I install the Andersama/obs-asio plugin.
by DmitrySound on Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:34 pm
I have same problem, waiting for windows drivers fix i guess. Have anyone created bug request already?
by oddbjrnbakke on Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:09 am
DmitrySound wroteI have same problem, waiting for windows drivers fix i guess. Have anyone created bug request already?

If you change the "Mic/Inst 1/2" to show dB instead of the percentage value, then this issues starts to make sense. On this device it's 54% ~ 0dB, and on the others 100% = 0dB
by DmitrySound on Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:42 am
Ty, i didn't even know i can switch persentage-decibels.

But what is responsble for setting nominal 0db level, Presonus driver?

9 posts
Page 1 of 1