10 posts
Page 1 of 1
Sorry to trouble people again, but I have what I hope is not too dumb a question.

I am trying to configure my pads for what suits me best for finger drumming. Initially planned on a complete remapping, but I soon realised that this doesn't work well for me because of the numerous drum sources I use, so ultimately a GM based layout seems to be the go as this is more interchangeable

However, I am (a little bit) more used to GM as it would be played on a keyboard, but the SQ seems not to allow an alternate keyboard layout for Impact drums, regardless of whether I set Impact as a drum or a keyboard instrument. Specifically it seems fixed to a "continuous" layout. For other instruments I am able to change this.

So. for GM drum maps in Impact I end up with annoying interleaving of toms, hats etc.

Is there any way that I am missing to set-up the SQ with impact so that pads 9-16 appear above 1-8 (i.e. as per a keyboard layout??).

I am of course hoping I missed something obvious here. So feel free to lambast me (as long as I can find a solution I can handle any associated abuse !!! :P
by sirmonkey on Sun May 02, 2021 6:07 pm
I would just make a second copy of Impact- make one for each situation.
I tried to copy a pad of one instance of Impact to another- no dice.
But as you make one preset, you know where your samples are anyway,
so you could build them both at the same time.
Does that make sense?

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by db38 on Mon May 03, 2021 3:43 am
Thanks for your reply Sirmonkey.

I believe I do grasp what you are saying (though it is of course possible that I do not) What makes me question my understanding is that you say you are unable to copy "a pad of one instance of Impact to another" which in fact I am able to do. Nonetheless, I believe you are effectively saying just to custom build my "kit" as required. Which is perhaps the way I 'should' have gone.

In the end I spent several hours trying to get my head around the issue. I am at a bit of a loss as to why SQ's pads are quite so "glued" to impacts layout. Regardless of any attempt to remap/reassign/redefine, the pads are locked to the Impact configuration provided, and whilst alternate 'notes' can be defined in Impact, the original assignments still remain.

I ended up using "Chorder" as has been covered in other threads for 'similarish' scenarios. It isnt ideal, and it is a compromised workaround for several reasons that I will not bloat my comments further with, but I AM able to maintain a layout that is proving to be consistent with other internal and external instrument layouts.

It 'almost' amuses me that no matter how feature rich a product seems to be (and indeed the SQ is), so often there isnt quite the core functionality I would have liked. :(

I am a little surprised that no-one else would like to be able to "drum" using their SQ with the familiar GM keyboard layout. Was it really that outlandish to assume this possible? Yes, I can use an actual keyboard, and there is one right in front of me most of the time.. but by the same token I can do most if not all the other functions of the SQ with devices otherwise in front of me.

Oh well. Enough ranting. I will get in and make some music eh!!
by sirmonkey on Mon May 03, 2021 8:07 pm
Good points. But how did you copy the contents of a pad within Impact to another instance
of Impact?

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by db38 on Wed May 05, 2021 3:57 am
OK. So I just did this again to make sure I wasn't hallucinating, and I will describe to make sure I am on the same page.

I started a new song and put an instance of Impact with a set of samples (i.e. a preset) on track 1.

I then set another empty instance of Impact on another track (well, to be accurate, I didn't seem able to set an empty instance, but I set another instance and cleared the bank.... same result. 1 track with a 'loaded' impact instance and another with an empty one

I then "pinned" the second instance of impact (top right Impact instrument window)

As a result of the previous step, I am now able to open the first instance of Impact in a separate window

I now first click on the pad in the first instance of Impact with the content that I wish to copy so that it shows as selected

Finally, with the cursor over the same pad, I hold down control and the cursor changes to a 'hand' and I click the pad again and, still holding control down, drag over to the target pad in the second instance of Impact

Hope that all makes sense. Apologies if I gave a bit of a junior school explanation, but I'd rather be clear - even if you knew much/most of it - than miss things out.

Please let me know if you do need any other info though. I cannot promise to be prompt, but I will get back eventually.
by sirmonkey on Wed May 05, 2021 6:16 pm
Oh- Cntl + drag. Super easy. I was surprised that the function "wasn't there".
I was trying right click. Good to know. I'm sure this will be handy...

Thanks!

by shadiradio on Wed May 12, 2021 12:49 pm
This might be a solution to your question - you can have a regular keyboard layout on the SQ with a little workaround. If you insert a multi-instrument, then insert Impact as the only instrument in that multi-instrument, the SQ will stay in keyboard mode when input is armed for that track.

Studio_One_20210512-114507.png

Multi instruments are also a sort of hack to make expanding/collapsing all the separate Impact outputs in the mixer possible.

20210512-114839.gif

shadiradio.com | Studio One Pro 5, Atom SQ, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, macOS Big Sur, AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, 32 GB RAM
by db38 on Wed May 12, 2021 6:31 pm
shadiradio wroteThis might be a solution to your question

Great suggestion shadiradio.

I had played around with multi-instruments whilst trying to resolve other limitations I have had with the SQ, but I didn't try this. Works well.

The only disappointment is that one loses the ability to 'colour code' the pads. Of course this is less important given that this is my preferred layout, but it is still a shame. This is also the quickest of the workarounds, as the others I have pursued (chorder configurations, drum remaps etc) were much more time consuming.

by shadiradio on Wed May 12, 2021 10:15 pm
Awesome, good to hear! I think the SQ's layout & functionality is really innovative. I hope they are able to fix the double triggering issues (other long thread).

shadiradio.com | Studio One Pro 5, Atom SQ, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, macOS Big Sur, AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, 32 GB RAM
by aduki on Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:32 pm
Shadiradio that is a great workaround to get rid of the default multiple outputs that splay across the console.
I think it should be the other way around- the default is stereo out with a choice for multi out.
But your workaround nails it. Thanks

EDIT: Ah just realised the output is still multi out but it's all contained within the multi instrument- even better then.

10 posts
Page 1 of 1