2 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello all, I've just purchased an Atom SQ and I find it to be a nice controller.

But I like to do custom scripts in Ableton, and I would implement the Atom SQ's Live support slightly differently. To do so, I'd need to know how to light the buttons and pads consistently. Is there any MIDI implementation documentation for doing so?

Just by experimenting, and referencing the decompiled Live python scripts, I know that the unit needs to have received the NATIVE_MODE_ON_MESSAGE to have any hope of lighting control, and I can control the mono-colored buttons consistently, the transport and +/- RGB buttons inconsistently, and the keyboard/pad buttons seemingly randomly or not at all. I haven't tried to send text to the display, but think I can figure it out via the Ableton scripts.

Does Presonus have any documentation on this or does anyone have any unofficial insights?

Thanks
by rlg on Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:07 pm
After digging around in the Ableton scripts for ATOMSQ, in the hopes of answering my own question above, it is indeed possible to light the controller's LEDs via MIDI, and consequently use the unit in a custom control configuration, while still using the "firmware" unit's functionality where desired - the "Inst" mode comes to mind as something that works well enough as is without needing to recode it entirely.

The trick, in a custom Ableton script, is not only to send the midi.NATIVE_MODE_ON_MESSAGE, which allows communications with the unit, but also use functions to turn off self._elements.lower_firmware_toggle_switch and self._elements.upper_firmware_toggle_switch for any relevant modes that might want to customize use of all the buttons/pads. The "lower firmware" buttons are the pads/keys, the plus and minus buttons and the A-H bank buttons. The "upper firmware" buttons surround the display. It's too bad that the A-H bank buttons and the keys are linked together, as I can imagine modes where I'd want to keep the lower keys as set up in another mode with the plus/minus buttons as octave keys, but free up the A-H buttons for other things. Ah well.

It's also pretty straightforward (if you consider digging through the decompiled python scripts straightforward) to control the display and send it custom text.

This discovery makes the AtomSQ much more interesting for me as a customizable controller. If anyone else was wondering whether it's possible to take more control of the controller via custom scripts, then hopefully the above is somewhat helpful, and can steer other tweakers in the right direction.

2 posts
Page 1 of 1