37 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Computer updated last night to macOS 11.2 and now my Atom SQ is no longer working.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any solutions or workarounds?

Thank you.
by oscargarza3 on Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:22 pm
by lukedavid on Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:08 pm
Any updates?
by oscargarza3 on Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:21 am
A potential workaround has been found and firmware is in testing to make sure it works as expected. Not sure on release time table just yet.
by pellefridell on Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:19 am
Hi!
Just bought the SQ after upgrading to Big Sur..
I managed to upgrade firmware to 1.12 using a clone of the old systemdisk, and it was reciognized in Big Sur. BUT Studio One is not detecting it, and after disconnect and reconnect it is not detected in UniversalControl.

Thanks for writing here, I was about to send it back.
Hoping for a fix soon!! And that its not faulty...

Best, Pelle

MBP14" M1Pro 32Gb ram
iMac (27-inch, 2020)
Working in
DAW: S1 6.5, PT, Logic, Ableton, Reaper.
Scoring: Dorico, Finale, Notion, Sibelius
Studio 192, RME Fireface, Studio 26C.
Atom, Atom SQ, Faderport 8
http://www.fridell.dk
by rickbaumhauer on Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:43 pm
I just bought an Atom SQ for my secondary computer, where I sometimes mess around with music software after my wife goes to bed. I have an NI M32 and Korg MicroKey 49 on my primary music machine, but neither is ideal for use on the second computer due to lack of space, combined with 32 keys not being ideal for some of the VSTs I use. The Atom SQ seemed like a great solution to this, since the 32 pads can cover 4-6 octaves if you're in the right mode. Both computers (an i7 2018 Mac mini and an M1 Mac mini) are running macOS 11.2.3.

Just after ordering, I saw mention of some issues with macOS 11.2 on PreSonus's site, but they weren't really clear enough on what they meant. They mention some connection issues with particular applications, but what they don't say is,"If you're running macOS 11.2, don't buy an Atom SQ, as it simply won't work at all, nothing will see it". How does a relatively minor OS update (that fixed some pretty critical Bluetooth issues for me) completely hose something that was working previously, especially when the OS supports so many MIDI devices without even needing drivers?

Some indication of when this problem might be resolved would be really helpful - I've got a $250 paper weight at the moment.

Edit - based on @pellefridell's post, I hooked the Atom SQ up to another Mac running Mojave and was able to update the firmware to 1.12. This got it working with the Intel Mac mini, but the M1 - the computer I bought the SQ to work with - is still a no-go. I can at least work with it on the Intel and get familiar with how it feels in use to determine if I should stick with it.
by horusandreph on Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:41 pm
Hopefully the fix is released soon, I really want to try out the new 5.2 update!
by oscargarza3 on Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:08 pm
It's in testing right now. So far, it is looking good and should be released sooner versus later unless something major comes up.
by pellefridell on Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:25 pm
rickbaumhauer wroteI just bought an Atom SQ for my secondary computer, where I sometimes mess around with music software after my wife goes to bed. I have an NI M32 and Korg MicroKey 49 on my primary music machine, but neither is ideal for use on the second computer due to lack of space, combined with 32 keys not being ideal for some of the VSTs I use. The Atom SQ seemed like a great solution to this, since the 32 pads can cover 4-6 octaves if you're in the right mode. Both computers (an i7 2018 Mac mini and an M1 Mac mini) are running macOS 11.2.3.

Just after ordering, I saw mention of some issues with macOS 11.2 on PreSonus's site, but they weren't really clear enough on what they meant. They mention some connection issues with particular applications, but what they don't say is,"If you're running macOS 11.2, don't buy an Atom SQ, as it simply won't work at all, nothing will see it". How does a relatively minor OS update (that fixed some pretty critical Bluetooth issues for me) completely hose something that was working previously, especially when the OS supports so many MIDI devices without even needing drivers?

Some indication of when this problem might be resolved would be really helpful - I've got a $250 paper weight at the moment.

Edit - based on @pellefridell's post, I hooked the Atom SQ up to another Mac running Mojave and was able to update the firmware to 1.12. This got it working with the Intel Mac mini, but the M1 - the computer I bought the SQ to work with - is still a no-go. I can at least work with it on the Intel and get familiar with how it feels in use to determine if I should stick with it.

Hi!
I unfortunately just got the Atom recognised by the Universal Control app. It never worked for me in Studio One. This was on 11.2.2 and 11.2.3.
I'm eagerly waiting for a fix.. :-)
Best, Pelle

MBP14" M1Pro 32Gb ram
iMac (27-inch, 2020)
Working in
by bobm2020 on Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:10 pm
I took delivery of one yesterday, not realizing it had this issue working with 11.2. Same here, I could update the firmware, but it's not recognized in Studio One or in any other DAW. It is a very nice looking and colorful paperweight as of now. 8-)
by rickbaumhauer on Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:51 pm
Wouldn't you know it - after working fine yesterday, I went to use the Atom SQ today on the Intel Mac mini, and it once again can't be seen by anything. Back to being 100% paperweight...
by oscargarza3 on Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:28 pm
rickbaumhauer wroteWouldn't you know it - after working fine yesterday, I went to use the Atom SQ today on the Intel Mac mini, and it once again can't be seen by anything. Back to being 100% paperweight...

The chipset shouldn't matter (Intel / M1). Whatever was introduced in Apple's 11.2 update broke communication with SQ. It worked in 11.1. There will be a workaround done in the SQ's firmware to bring it back in a few weeks.
by rickbaumhauer on Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:50 pm
oscargarza3 wrote
rickbaumhauer wroteWouldn't you know it - after working fine yesterday, I went to use the Atom SQ today on the Intel Mac mini, and it once again can't be seen by anything. Back to being 100% paperweight...

The chipset shouldn't matter (Intel / M1). Whatever was introduced in Apple's 11.2 update broke communication with SQ. It worked in 11.1. There will be a workaround done in the SQ's firmware to bring it back in a few weeks.

Maybe it shouldn't matter, but it did, at least briefly. After updating from 1.1 to 1.12, it worked on the Intel but not the M1. I unplugged it last night because it was lighting up the room, and when I plugged it back in today, it was back to not being recognized by anything. I tried a few things (restarting the computer, etc), but no luck.

A few weeks for the firmware fix? I'm going to have to return it then - I'm not going to have it sitting here until it's past the return window. I'll test some other options in the meantime, then maybe give it another shot after the issue is fixed.
by cjaykay on Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:35 am
Hi,

yesterday I've received my Atom SQ, unboxed it, hooked it up to my iMac running Big Sur 11.2 and it refused to work.

I am about to return it back to the retailer, getting my money back. But before I do, how are the chances that Presonus is going to fix the connectivity issues with this device and Big Sur 11.2, and most important question of all: When?

If you can tell me that this issue is going to be fixed "very soon", I'll perhaps keep the Atom SQ. Otherwise I have to return it back and check for MIDI Cotrolers from other brands.

Best regards :thumbup:
Chris
by cjaykay on Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:35 am
Quick update:

After I've written my last posting, 30 minutes later macOS offered me an update for Big Sur from 11.2.2 -> 11.2.3. which solved my connectivity issue with Atom SQ. :rtfm2:

Seems to be solved! I'll keep the Atom SQ for now.

Greetings
Chris
by pellefridell on Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:26 am
cjaykay wroteQuick update:

After I've written my last posting, 30 minutes later macOS offered me an update for Big Sur from 11.2.2 -> 11.2.3. which solved my connectivity issue with Atom SQ. :rtfm2:

Seems to be solved! I'll keep the Atom SQ for now.

Greetings
Chris

That sounds great Chris!
Unfortunately the update to 11.2.3 did not make any difference for me, I was hoping....
This is on an Intel MBPr.

What are you other peoples experiences?
There must be many users on 11.2.

Best, Pelle

MBP14" M1Pro 32Gb ram
iMac (27-inch, 2020)
Working in
by davidgelder on Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:42 am
I got all excited there...grabbed the latest update...no effect on Atom SQ recognition :|
by bobm2020 on Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:29 am
11.2.3 does not work for me. This is on an M1 system.

Is the fix actually weeks away?
by rickbaumhauer on Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:18 pm
Both of my Mac minis have been on 11.2.3 since before my Atom SQ arrived.

Fingers crossed that it keeps working for Chris, and that this isn't one of those things that shouldn't matter, but it did in this case, until it stops working again.
by oscargarza3 on Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:06 pm
Any new firmware has to be tested from top to bottom, and it is in that process right now (beta testers). Once fully tested, it will be released via a new update of Universal Control. As long as there are no regressions in the new firmware, then it should only be a couple of weeks away.

37 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2