23 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Am I the only person experiencing this issue?

Studio One 5, on Mac, Atom SQ recognised and working to the extent that all DAW control features are fine, but absolutely no instrument control! All the Pads are white and no matter whether I select an Impact track or another instrument, the Pads never allow me to play the instrument selected.

Transport controls and all the other features work fine though.

I’ve got a ticket open with Presonus, but so far they have been asking me to follow generic troubleshooting steps from a script, with inane requests like “try using another cable”, when I’m using the one supplied with the Atom SQ, or “make sure you have selected the device in the Audio Device drop-down”, when the Atom SQ isn’t even an audio device.

Anyone else had this problem?
by Baphometrix on Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:39 pm
Is the Atom SQ properly recognized and listed in the Universal Control app window?

Did you (re) install Universal Control and choose the "ATOM USB" driver option during (re)install? See another forum post I made here about this (starts with "PSA...").

TL;DR, There's literally a driver you have to add to Universal Control to handle all the communication and display/pad feedback from Studio One to the SQ.

Studio One 5.2.x Pro (Sphere) | Bitwig 4.x | Ableton 10.x
Faderport 8 | ATOM SQ | MOTU M4 | Windows 10 | i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Geforce RTX 2070
by PreAl on Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:26 am
^ This.

I strongly recommend downloading and reading the manual, it doesn't take very long to read:
https://www.presonus.com/products/ATOM-SQ/downloads

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by markcalrissian on Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:31 pm
shannongreywalker wroteIs the Atom SQ properly recognized and listed in the Universal Control app window?

Did you (re) install Universal Control and choose the "ATOM USB" driver option during (re)install? See another forum post I made here about this (starts with "PSA...").

TL;DR, There's literally a driver you have to add to Universal Control to handle all the communication and display/pad feedback from Studio One to the SQ.

Thanks Shannon, I’ve reinstalled Universal Control, it gives me the option to install a Quantum Thunderbolt driver, nothing else (I guess the option is different depending on your computer and its inputs). I’ve installed that driver, but it hasn’t helped.

Atom SQ appears in Universal Control and I have been able to update the firmware.

I’m not sure what else to try.
by markcalrissian on Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:32 pm
PreAl wrote^ This.

I strongly recommend downloading and reading the manual, it doesn't take very long to read:
https://www.presonus.com/products/ATOM-SQ/downloads

Hi PreAI, I’ve downloaded and read the manual. Is there something specifically in there you think might help? I may have missed something.

Cheers!
by PreAl on Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:17 pm
What Shannon says.
And reboot.
Maybe try different USB slot. Make sure you are using the cable provided

What version of MacOS?

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by Jemusic on Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:17 am
Sorry if this sounds basic. Are you input monitoring? The keys wont change to a musical scale until you do.

I don't have my SQ at the moment. They are sending me a new one. But even before I had no issues controlling and playing instruments on my iMac setup.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by markcalrissian on Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:29 am
PreAl wroteWhat Shannon says.
And reboot.
Maybe try different USB slot. Make sure you are using the cable provided

What version of MacOS?

Catalina 10.15.6 - it's a MacBook Pro 2019 model.

I am using the provided cable and have tried different USB slots on my hub (I need to use a Hub because the MacBook only has USB C connectors and the supplied cable is USB C-to-A, not C-to-C), but I really don't think its a cable or connection issue, since everything else works. I can control Studio One from the Atom, all features work except for the key one: playing instruments. So clearly the Atom can communicate via USB successfully, but for some reason it cannot detect when an instrument track is selected. No matter what type of track I have selected, the Inst - Pads page has all soft button options greyed out except Full Vel. Interestingly, it correctly displays 'Impact' in the centre of the screen below where it reads "Pads", but all the actual pads are lit white and do nothing when hit.
by markcalrissian on Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:32 am
Jemusic wroteSorry if this sounds basic. Are you input monitoring? The keys wont change to a musical scale until you do.

I don't have my SQ at the moment. They are sending me a new one. But even before I had no issues controlling and playing instruments on my iMac setup.

Hi Jemusic, yes, I checked that input monitoring was engaged on the channels after seeing a similar sounding issue reported on the previous Atom model, where reengaging monitoring was suggested as a work around. Sadly this did not resolve my issue.
by PreAl on Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:54 pm
And if you don't use the hub and use USB C to C or whatever USB slot you have available on your laptop?

I agree with you, it should work on the hub if it finds it.

..but try it.

by Baphometrix on Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:56 am
I still feel like your Universal Control app is missing the driver needed for the ATOM SQ, somehow? When you open the Universal Control app itself, is the ATOM SQ visibly shown on the interface as connected?

Faderport 8 | ATOM SQ | MOTU M4 | Windows 10 | i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Geforce RTX 2070
by markcalrissian on Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:17 pm
shannongreywalker wroteI still feel like your Universal Control app is missing the driver needed for the ATOM SQ, somehow? When you open the Universal Control app itself, is the ATOM SQ visibly shown on the interface as connected?

In Universal Control I can see a picture of the Atom as well as a picture of the Faderport 16, both have a USB icon next to them. I cannot see any indicator for whether they are connected, but if I select the Atom SQ and then choose “update firmware” from the menu, it tells me that it is already up to date, so that would seem to suggest it is connected and recognised by Universal Control. Studio One also recognises the SQ when it loads.

Thanks for all your suggestions, I appreciate the help on this. It’s so frustrating to not be able to use the Atom SQ for its intended purpose :(
by Baphometrix on Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:44 pm
markcalrissian wrote
shannongreywalker wroteI still feel like your Universal Control app is missing the driver needed for the ATOM SQ, somehow? When you open the Universal Control app itself, is the ATOM SQ visibly shown on the interface as connected?

In Universal Control I can see a picture of the Atom as well as a picture of the Faderport 16, both have a USB icon next to them. I cannot see any indicator for whether they are connected, but if I select the Atom SQ and then choose “update firmware” from the menu, it tells me that it is already up to date, so that would seem to suggest it is connected and recognised by Universal Control. Studio One also recognises the SQ when it loads.

Thanks for all your suggestions, I appreciate the help on this. It’s so frustrating to not be able to use the Atom SQ for its intended purpose :(

If it's listed in the UC app (picture shown), then it's connected and UC has a driver for it.

At this point, though, I think it's down to a support ticket to figure out what's going on. I'll through two other suggestions out, though, just in case:

A. Are you setting the track color of the instrument track you're trying to play with the ATOM SQ? Or is the track a simple gray/white color? (This is the case if you tell Studio One to NOT auto-colorize new tracks.) If your track is white, then the keyboard on the SQ will also appear white (the root keys will be the same color as the non-root keys). If you change the track to a non-white color, then you'll see the root keys change to the same color.

B. Are you sure you're record-arming the track you're trying to play with the SQ? The keys won't light up to show the pad colors on something like an Impact XT track or to show the root keys on some other MIDI instrument track unless you've both selected and armed that track. Yes, technically just pressing the monitor button should also work.

by Jemusic on Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:23 pm
The other thing to check is the PreSonus logo which is under the letter 'O' in ATOM SQ top left.

When ATOM SQ is on but NOT connected to StudioOne (Studio One not booted up at this point) that logo should be green. Keys should be white in piano formation with green keys (3) indicating octaves. (it will work with other DAW's at this stage)

Once Studio One has booted up though, even on the start page that logo should turn blue. Before opening a session keys should all be dark.

Then open a session. All keys should be lit and white. No octaves indicated. Main window top right should be ON. Now go to an instrument track and select input monitoring. Keys should be again white and in piano formation. Octave keys (3) should be pink.

If it does all three of these states then it is connected and working.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by markcalrissian on Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:31 pm
Jemusic wroteThe other thing to check is the PreSonus logo which is under the letter 'O' in ATOM SQ top left.

When ATOM SQ is on but NOT connected to StudioOne (Studio One not booted up at this point) that logo should be green. Keys should be white in piano formation with green keys (3) indicating octaves. (it will work with other DAW's at this stage)

Once Studio One has booted up though, even on the start page that logo should turn blue. Before opening a session keys should all be dark.

Then open a session. All keys should be lit and white. No octaves indicated.

Up until this point everything is exactly how you describe it.

Jemusic wrote Main window top right should be ON.

Sorry, not sure what you mean here.

Jemusic wroteNow go to an instrument track and select input monitoring. Keys should be again white and in piano formation. Octave keys (3) should be pink.

If it does all three of these states then it is connected and working.

This last bit does not work. Selecting an Impact track, for example, with Input Monitoring and the Rec button toggeled on does not change the buttons from the all white state. Disabling and reenabling Input Monitoring doesn't fix it either.
by Jemusic on Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:55 pm
The window I am referring to is the main display window just to the left of the single knob very top right. (there is only one!) Its partially lit but the individual six squares will be dark on the start page of Studio One. But once you open a session the info appears inside the 6 squares.

OK with Impact XT things are different. When I install Impact XT and then input monitor that track, the keys do all remain white. But every key on ATOM SQ triggers the pads in Impact XT. Key No 1 (very lowest key on SQ) triggers pad C1 for example. Even with no sounds present. You wont hear anything until you load an Impact XT preset of course.

Obviously yours is not doing that, is that correct.

Its when you install a chromatic instrument eg MaiTai etc that input monitoring will put the keys into piano formation and have the three pink octave keys lit. What happens on yours when you do that.

by markcalrissian on Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:54 pm
Jemusic wroteThe window I am referring to is the main display window just to the left of the single knob very top right. (there is only one!) Its partially lit but the individual six squares will be dark on the start page of Studio One. But once you open a session the info appears inside the 6 squares.

ah, ok. I get you now. This matches what I see.

Jemusic wrote OK with Impact XT things are different. When I install Impact XT and then input monitor that track, the keys do all remain white. But every key on ATOM SQ triggers the pads in Impact XT. Key No 1 (very lowest key on SQ) triggers pad C1 for example. Even with no sounds present. You wont hear anything until you load an Impact XT preset of course.

Obviously yours is not doing that, is that correct.

correct. When selecting Impact none of the pads trigger any of Impact's pads.

Jemusic wroteIts when you install a chromatic instrument eg MaiTai etc that input monitoring will put the keys into piano formation and have the three pink octave keys lit. What happens on yours when you do that.

Just tried this. All the keys remain white, and while the main display window on the SQ shows the MaiTai preset I have selected and the Instrument Editor button opens and closes the MaiTai instance, none of the SQ pads trigger the instrument, but I can play it using my midi keyboard or by clicking the Maittai keys on screen.
by Jemusic on Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:08 pm
With the Instrument track, what input source do you have selected there. You can select ATOM SQ or ALL INPUTS. Maybe you have this set for your keyboard controller only.

by markcalrissian on Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:46 pm
Jemusic wroteWith the Instrument track, what input source do you have selected there. You can select ATOM SQ or ALL INPUTS. Maybe you have this set for your keyboard controller only.

Jemusic, I could kiss you! But I won't because of Covid.

That was it! All my instrument tracks default to my midi keyboard as the input, rather than "all". What's weird is I have several midi keyboards, all of which can control the selected track simultaneously, so I assumed the SQ would do the same (i.e. work in parallel to my other midi input devices). I suppose the other midi devices work because they are going through the same midi interface, where as the Atom is going directly from a USB hub into the computer. Anyway, selecting "All inputs" fixed it.

Thanks everyone for your help! I'm gonna go make some mad beats to celebrate!
by Jemusic on Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:08 pm
Wow I am happy for you !! I must admit it was one of the last things I suspected too. This can catch you out. For example it is not always good to have instrument tracks set to ALL INPUTS either. Because sometimes you might get double midi notes coming in from two sources at once.

If you want to use two controllers and record onto two tracks you also cannot use ALL INPUTS either. You have to assign each controller to each track. But the good news is this is an important function to simply get into the habit of checking before recording from any source.

Usually ALL INPUTS is fine actually as it means any controller will send midi data in. But there are times when a specific controller or input source needs to be set here.

23 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2