97 postsPage 4 of 5
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
A question for anyone using certain plugins with the SQ....namely Komplete KOntrol, Scaler 2, and Maschine

Any one using these plugins with the SQ who care to comment on native (no pun) integration? A google search came up empty.

I realize things can be midi assigned in SQ, but that seems to be a can of worms...i wouldnt mind assigning a few things. There is a fair amount of natural integration w. these things w. the regular Atom
by PreAl on Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:15 pm
edmisik wroteA question for anyone using certain plugins with the SQ....namely Komplete KOntrol, Scaler 2, and Maschine

Any one using these plugins with the SQ who care to comment on native (no pun) integration? A google search came up empty.

I realize things can be midi assigned in SQ, but that seems to be a can of worms...i wouldnt mind assigning a few things. There is a fair amount of natural integration w. these things w. the regular Atom

That's going to take a few weeks or so for me to respond.

Studio One Pro 5, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom Pad, Atom SQ, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).

Intel i9 9900K, 32GB RAM,
EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
by edmisik on Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:59 pm
PreAl wrote
edmisik wroteA question for anyone using certain plugins with the SQ....namely Komplete KOntrol, Scaler 2, and Maschine

That's going to take a few weeks or so for me to respond.

thanks man..no worries. The only Presonus Instruments I use are Impact and Sample One . i'm not in a hurry. respond whenever. in the mean, maybe someone else will jump in.
by Baphometrix on Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:55 am

You should start a new forum thread for this question. Nobody is going to look for this type of info on page 4 of a thread with this title. Also, you're forking this thread off-topic.

Studio One 5.1 Pro (Sphere) | Bitwig 3.2.x | Ableton 10.x
Faderport 8 | ATOM SQ | MOTU M4 | Push 2 (Shove)
Windows 10 Home | i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Geforce RTX 2070
by edmisik on Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:16 am
oh..no thanks
by PreAl on Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:23 pm
I was playing with my ATOM pad controller and the Atom SQ today.
This double trigger issue was absolutely TERRIBLE today. It's sounds like it's dropping out all the time, but it's not, it's just being cut off.... I had the pad sensitivity set as "soft" and I have to say the feel was just crap. Regularly notes would not trigger at all because I was playing the pad too soft - out of the controllers I think the original pad controller felt the worst :( Putting the atom pad controller in FULL LEVEL mode didn't help either. Even the top hard setting was useless

Sorry to be harsh but I feel I spent a lot of money and both controllers won't reliably do what its main intended purpose is, that is bang some pads.

I really like the functionality otherwise although there are a few minor quirks.

My worry is there is a quality issue with the pads themselves, fixing the double trigger in firmware may make the pads even less responsive. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Studio One Pro 5, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom Pad, Atom SQ, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).

by Baphometrix on Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:02 am
My exact impressions and worries.

Again, for onlookers I must stress that I have the same exact behavior on TWO different ATOM SQ units. So this is no less than three total units from two different people experiencing the same exact behavior. For a normal user this thing is effectively unusable at present. (And yes, I have other pad controllers that work just fine for me: Push 2 and Maschine MK3.)

by PreAl on Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:50 am
shannongreywalker wroteMy exact impressions and worries.

Again, for onlookers I must stress that I have the same exact behavior on TWO different ATOM SQ units. So this is no less than three total units from two different people experiencing the same exact behavior. For a normal user this thing is effectively unusable at present. (And yes, I have other pad controllers that work just fine for me: Push 2 and Maschine MK3.)

4 units and 2 different people.

I have a Atom SQ and an Atom pad controller with exactly the same issue.
(Works fine with Maschine Studio controller.)

At least the fault has been acknowledged.

by GreatExpectations on Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:50 pm
Well, good I found this thread. Or rather terrible. Ive been looking for a proper control surface for S1 for years. I love the software but all the midi-keyboard integrations are soso (i have a keylab mk2). I also thought I can safely buy this because the pads on the atom have gotten generally favorable reviews for their playability and now hearing that these pads double trigger, is quite saddening. I guess i'm gonna get a Maschine and a basic Keystep then (also I really don't want to upgrade to S1 5 atm. so that saves me that process).

edit: was there any official response from Presonus regarding this issue?
by PreAl on Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:26 pm
They are aware of it. I think the item will be fine after a firmware update (this is needed for both Atom controllers). Having said that they take their time, dark mode has been asked for the atom pad controller and we are still waiting for it.

by edmisik on Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:24 pm
GreatExpectations wroteWell, good I found this thread. Or rather terrible. Ive been looking for a proper control surface for S1 for years. I love the software but all the midi-keyboard integrations are soso (i have a keylab mk2). I also thought I can safely buy this because the pads on the atom have gotten generally favorable reviews for their playability and now hearing that these pads double trigger, is quite saddening. I guess i'm gonna get a Maschine and a basic Keystep then (also I really don't want to upgrade to S1 5 atm. so that saves me that process).

I have the regular Atom pad and not experiencing any double triggering. It plays very fast for me for finger drumming and supports poly aftertouch if that interests you. I dont know that Maschine does that..dint used to at the time anyway. you can adjust the pad sensitivity and other parameters. I'm not a banger on the pad. Used to use the Machine Mikro mk3 but like the Atom much better for the integration with Studio One and Ableton is great IMO, and much better priced than Maschine. I do like the Maschine percussion sounds much better than the Studio One sounds..it's a much more well rounded array of sounds. Those all came with my Native a49 keyboard.

So I highly recommend the regular Atom pad. If you buy from Amazon or similar and experience double triggering, just send it back aye?
by robertgray3 on Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:47 pm
GreatExpectations wroteWell, good I found this thread. Or rather terrible. Ive been looking for a proper control surface for S1 for years. I love the software but all the midi-keyboard integrations are soso (i have a keylab mk2). I also thought I can safely buy this because the pads on the atom have gotten generally favorable reviews for their playability and now hearing that these pads double trigger, is quite saddening. I guess i'm gonna get a Maschine and a basic Keystep then (also I really don't want to upgrade to S1 5 atm. so that saves me that process).

I'd just purchase what you want and return it if there's an issue. If it does work for you, perfect! If it doesn't, I wouldn't hang onto it hoping for a firmware update. In my experience that has never been a satisfying approach.

If you're considering Maschine just to control S1, in my opinion the Atom integration with Impact is way more useful than the overall state of Komplete Kontrol these days. I don't know if I'd call the Atom a "proper control surface for S1", though, that's more the Faderport series. I use my Atom for the transport, tap tempo, and loop movement, but all mixing and automation is better suited to the Faderport. The Atom and Atom SQ can't really do any mixing that adapts to the currently-viewed channel.

Regarding the triggering issues, I’ve had the original Atom for a year now. When I’m hitting the pads lightly (velocity around 10-75) all but one pad triggers correctly somewhere around 24 out of 25 times. On mine pad 11 double triggers a lot but it's acceptable because in my templates pad 11 is not a frequently-used pad. Maybe you get one that acts like mine, maybe you get one that acts worse, maybe you get one that acts better.

Mac OS X Mojave 10.14.6
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by Baphometrix on Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:33 am
First, I suppose I should share a simple workaround that greatly mitigates the amount of double-triggers you can get. This is something the Presonus product manager shared with me in the course of our conversations troubleshooting this.

On the track where you're actively playing MIDI with the ATOM SQ (or ATOM), just add an Input Filter Note FX device. (Use the "Note FX" area in the track inspector to do this. It's fast and easy.) Then set the minimum velocity to 4%, and expand the keyboard range to span the entire keyboard.

Now, if you're a "soft and gentle" player like me, you'll have to tap the pads a little harder than you might naturally do, in order to exceed this 4% threshold for minimum velocity (which translates to an absolute velocity of somewhere between 5 and 6).

But what this workaround is doing is preventing the ultra-light movements from your finger lingering/resting on the pad after a hit from being registered as a new Note ON gate. And some of us might tend to do a micro-bounce or micro-wiggle when we lift our finger OFF a pad, which can also trigger double-hits from ultra-low new velocity values.

This workaround isn't perfect, but it does make the SQ far more *usable* while we wait for a firmware update, if you're a "light touch" player and if you like to rest your fingers on the pads in between new hits.

A particular issue with the SQ is that its piano-like layout encourages you to use it as a melodic controller and to play chords and melodies on it, right? It's very different from the original ATOM which is clearly a drum-centric controller layout and you tend to finger-drum in a VERY different way that you play a keyboard, right?

So while this problem has always existed on the original ATOM too, it was less likely to stumble across, because you tend to hit harder and sharper (and quickly snap your fingers OFF the pads) when you're finger drumming.

Anyway, yes, a firmware improvement IS coming.

And yes, the overall form factor and functionality of the ATOM SQ is really really good and inutitive and USEFUL. I really love the location and size and responsiveness of the touch strip. The endless encoder knobs feel solid and smooth, and are so easy to set up with Control Link to instantly dial in the Macro knobs from all your synth instruments (or any useful parameter on the synth). The command functions and the display are excellent. It's easy to navigate to useful functions. The colorized pads are really great for use with Impact XT drum kits.

I wish there were more supported scales/modes (What the bleep problem does Presonus have with Lydian, lol? Who there hates Lydian and refuses to add it to the scales?) :shock: But the very anemic and limited range of supported scales aside (Push and Maschine run circles around Presonus controllers in regards to scale support), the different keyboard layout modes are REALLY GOOD. I especially like the Scale Only layout, because you can get a full 4.5 octaves of a 7-note scale/mode on the SQ. And a massive 6.2 octaves out of a 5-note scale.

by GreatExpectations on Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:26 am
Thanks for sharing the workaround Shannon.

Thanks for the replies edmisik and Robert. Sorry, my post hasnt been very clear, since I have multiple wants and was moving goal posts. I don't consider the Maschine for a control surface but for having great pads, buying into the NI eco system (the Komplete crossgrade sale price) and with the Maschine+ announcement there are bunch of them on the used marked you can get one for like 350€. The suggestion with the ATOM is good, I took another look at it and the integration seems way deeper than I first expected.

I'm gonna give the SQ a shot, probably once the upgrade sale for s1 comes around. There is really alot to like: more intuitive layout to play chords than a 4x4 grid, pads for finger drumming, small form factor with a sizeable note range, good integration with s1, usable encoders, arp and scales. For me, the device might be good enough to be the only midi controller on my desk with a mouse + kb and still allow for a great workflow. That's why I was a bit salty hearing about pad problems. I have been wanting good pads for a while now but I always kept it off, prioritizing other things.
by zoheirmokeddem on Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:47 pm
Jemusic wroteATOM SQ natively is a Studio One version 5 thing only and beyond.

It may work however in HUI or MCU modes in V4 but with less integration. Although the native SQ driver does not even show up in V4.

It works natively with Ableton but only the latest version because Ableton has written code to see and work with it. Of course it can also be set to HUI and MCU modes but the amount of integration you will get with other DAW's will vary.

We are sorting out some issues with some pads only producing one single rather low velocity, especially after you have reset the defaults. This can be fixed by running the firmware update again and NOT resetting default settings.

This is going to be fixed in a future firmware update.

Is there a list of what's working and not in studio 4.6 , wanted to upgrade to 5 bu guess what ? i'm on windows 8.1 on all my systems .... i actually own the atom regular and it's cool but extra features on the sq and form factor is exellent ....

I would love to see a review on 4.6 users with it !!
by Rolix on Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:12 am
Same here - I've set the pads to hard but get multiple triggered notes on pressing a pad. I have a Push 2 and a Linnstrument for comparision, never experienced anything like that on them.
by irawasserman on Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:57 pm
same problem here

I am so close to sending this thing back (SQ)

I can't believe Presonus didn't test enough or didn't care that only when 'hitting the pads hard' do I get notes to register

I set for soft velocity. slight improvement. still tons of double notes.

When I play in S1 or Live 10, I'm getting tons of double notes - as if the aftertouch itself acts as a note trigger

anyone who finger drums: will have some (natural) bounce to their finger (and this could be part of it)

my recommendation is for Presonus to add a choice / algortithm that is smart enough to ignore immediate (subsequent) pad note registers after the first note - if the 'second pad hit' occurs like 1/64 (or less) time then the orig hit.

I don't even think it's a low velocity issue - because my double notes all seem to have similar velocity to the first (intended) hit. it's as if my initial hits are too fast and the pad doesn't register.

many of my hits come up with an equal double (one right after the other).

the firmware should have a 'double hit avoidance' option that tries to sense 'likely double hits' and ignores the subsequent second note. users could choose if they want this 'filter' on or off.

also, just saying -- there is no Duplicate Track or Choose Colors for Track / Event (that I can find) in the SQ for Studio One 5. So what is the point of having a controller so that: 'you don't or barely need to use the mouse', if I can't duplicate my Track or pick a Color without the mouse. defeats the entire purpose of the SQ's S1 navigation value.

I do think they did a great job in many aspects, but need to clean this thing up so it's reliable and usable.

I have 14 days left to return the SQ and I am on the fence. I'm sure there are some smart people there are Presonus, but sometimes I really think they are completely clueless. Maybe there are some political / seniority issues going on there - because someone there isn't letting logic and quality prevail.

I recently stumbled into a DJ software (not one of the main popular ones) where every single item and feature actual worked as promised (reliably). even their ultra complex features. my jaw dropped and i purchased it (after two weeks of testing everything they claimed). that company really cares and takes the position of the end users - versus pushing the next new thing 'over and over' with bugs and half working features and workarounds.

I tried the S1 V5 Patterns with the SQ and I saw 'sometimes the notes in the Pattern triggered' (during playback), 'sometimes it didn't'. Plus, if I added a note while the pattern was in motion (but the timeline cursor didn't hit yet the new note I just added: it skipped the note I just entered even though the screen shows the note as marked. Things like this that are just aggravating and ruin the music making mood because now I have to go into either 'diagnostic engineer' or' workaround' mode.

There are so many opportunities with S1 to do non-linear creations and songs that are basically just not being delivered in Studio One. Variations is genious and works well. I love it (probably my favorite 'reliably working' feature). But not allowing Arranger and Scratch Pads to have Quantized Follow capability (so that a song can be pieced together or an on-the-fly DJ/remix) is just a lost opportunity for on-the-fly / non-linear songs/idea creations.

In a world where even Logic has picked on on the value and importance of non-linear creation workflow (i.e. Ableton / Bitwig) -- Studio One is still lacking and I just can't justify throwing any more dollars on the DAW.

I do understand that the majority of Studio One users are coming from ProTools, Cubase, FL Studio, etc and have "Arrangment View" / Timeline priorities (song finalizations, import, export, mastering, live instruments) etc. Plus the instruments that come with Studio One are really good for classic needed / useable sounds (Presence XT). The recent work and thought/improvements in Impact XT and Sample One XT are very good. ImpactXT doesn't have 'record' (like Sample One XT does) - don't know why.

I really want to use Studio One as a primary DAW, but when I see that I have to go back and edit my notes (remove doubles) with SQ -- the benefits of SQ are lost and this reminds me that I always find things that make no sense and are problematic with Presonus Studio One and their products.

It seems like 'Good Enough' is sufficient for Presonus management / product managers and that Excellent is something that will 'get to next time' (after our customers pay us yet again).

$250USD after a 6 week wait to get my SQ and then having to hit the pads hard (even with soft velocity) and get so many skips is disappointing.

I know Presonus can do better by fixing these issues (firmware), but anyone want to bet we won't see any improvements or attempts to fix until next spring at best ?? Maybe never. (that's my guess).

Sorry for my rant, but Presonus' definition of 'Good Enough' isn't sufficient to allow me to focus on making music. Back to Bitwig for me. We'll see if I wind up sending the SQ back. I didn't know I was going to be beta tester after I spend 250USD.
by irawasserman on Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:11 pm
oh ...

and the lack of an option to have a better response / acceleration on the Encoders is yet another example of: ahhh-it's 'good enough' (what do our customers expect for 250usd ... perfection ??)

any long-time knob pusher will see/feel that it's a big effort to have to spin encoders like 2-3-4x more then we would expect (even with the current dynamic acceleration). the quality and feel of SQ (build, components) is excellent -- but we need these components to respond better, make more 'musical sense' like with encoder twists/distance, and be reliable (every time) -- pad hits.
by Baphometrix on Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:10 pm
They are aware of the problem and working on it.

In the meantime, the workaround I described above with an Input Filter Note FX set to a minimum velocity of 4% will help a LOT. It's not perfect, and you'll still need to hit the keys harder than you might want to, but it will stop nearly all of the double-triggers.

by irawasserman on Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:58 pm
thanks Shannon for that tip

much appreciated

I just hope they do something (to improve things) by end of year

even if it's a beta firmware

because the whole purpose of spending good money (on a controller) is to be able to use the product as it is promoted / marketed

I have shelves of hardware and controllers (many of them pad controllers) just waiting for improvements (manufacturer promises) that never came. always 'need to get' MK2, MK3, on and on.

there's a lot about SQ that is designed really / really well -- and I hope it succeeds everywhere (Live, Logic, Bitwig, S1) etc.

As a matter of fact, I think they get an A+ and did a top notch job on the SQ design, materials and components -- that's why I am so bummed about how hard those pads have to be hit. plus -- it's difficult to be "expressive" when needing to hit everything 2 or 3x harder than my natural touch.
(and still getting inconsistencies on those notes).

how many (audible) piano velocities are you (or anyone) able to pull off ?? sometimes I think I should just set the SQ to "full velocity" and not even try to get any (velocity) 'expression' from the pads (on drums or keys).

I know there aren't many SQs out there on the market yet, but there's very little feedback (or talk) on the entire internet about SQ from purchasers, except for the initial reviewers and the gee-wow (initial reactions)

For SQ to succeed, I think there has to be a real partnership between the SQ Team and the early adopters -- support the community and reach out to the end-users. So many good products (especially hardware) fail because the powers-that-be don't reach out and communicate (as if 'they know better')

for example - I wonder if a 'long press' on Shift button can bring up an entire other mode (shift button in a blinking mode until pressed a second time). there can be a whole other set/level of menus choices for the many things that are missing (that can make SQ more valuable and versatile -- like (entire) track duplicate and event/track color chooser navigation).

anyway - I'll incorporate the Input Filter Note FX suggestion and try to be optimistic. Just would be nice for the Devs to be a little more open and communicative about working with users to get the SQ better / tops. There shouldn't be any 'NDA' secrets at this point. Corporations get so paranoid and many times don't want any 'outside' help / suggestions.

History with music devices continuously show what happens when Devs don't reach out and create community, nor respond to concerns in a timely fashion.

thanks for reading my long rant. I want to be supportive of the SQ success.

also, I'm not sure there is a way to control 'velocity' (soft / medium / hard) when SQ is used with other DAWs. I think that choice should / could be moved to the Setup Menu (circular button) since other DAWs current don't get the velocity adjustment choice (in the LCD menu).

: )
Last edited by irawasserman on Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

97 postsPage 4 of 5
1, 2, 3, 4, 5