3 posts
Page 1 of 1
I made a different post on here a couple weeks ago about how updating to the newest firmware 3.50 introduced speaker pops before playing any audio. Rolling back the firmware made it quite not as bad, but ultimately did NOT fix it.

This is what is happening. If I'm on my desktop and play some music or something, there is about 1 second delay and a clicky speaker pop before the audio starts. If I stop the audio, and play it again instantly, its fine. BUT if I stop the audio and wait about 5 or 6 seconds, I get another speaker pop. This happens with all audio coming out of my PC, even Windows notification sounds.

It's almost as if the audio interface or audio engine is going to sleep after 5 seconds of inactivity and has to get woken back up when audio is played, resulting in a speaker pop. While in Studio One, or any DAW, this does not happen whatsoever, not even on desktop audio. The DAWs are keeping the audio engine "awake".

But as soon as I quit the DAW, play audio, wait 5 seconds, and play different audio...1 second delay and speaker pop.

Does anyone else experience this? Technical support hasn't really offered any fixes. Is this a "feature" to save power or something? Making the audio engine "sleep" after 5 seconds of inactivity?

I have tried all different Universal Control versions, firmwares, factory resetting, Windows Update, different USB ports, etc etc. I've tried everything. And my Universal Control sample rate is the same as my Windows audio sample rate - 48khz, 24bit. I have also tested my Focusrite interface, and this does NOT happen on it.

Anyone have any idea what to do about this? There was a post about this exact same problem about 4 years ago for a different Presonus interface which you can find here: https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=165&t=22687 . There is a workaround in that forum, but unfortunately it doesn't work for me as it messes up my microphone for Zoom meetings.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Studio One 6 (Sphere)
Windows 10
Ryzen 7950x (16-Core)
64GB 6000mhz RAM
2x 2TB NVME M.2 SSD's
1x 4TB NVME M.2 SSD
Nvidia 4070 TI
ioStation 24c
by Chaotik804 on Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:46 pm
I am also experiencing this. Did you find any solutions to the issue?
by SwitchBack on Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:17 pm
You may have different bit depth and/or sample rate settings for your audio player and system audio. Make sure everything uses the same settings because toggling settings resets the buffers, causing a pop.

And check the power saving options of your computer. USB ports may go to standby or sleep after a set time of inactivity, again flushing the buffers.

3 posts
Page 1 of 1