7 posts
Page 1 of 1
I just realized that it is impossible to freely assign notes to individual pads. I'm waiting for the thing to arrive, but unfortunately I'm not even going to unpack it. Since I need two different pads to trigger the same note, it's impossible to do in the software (EZdrummer or whatever). So, this thing is completely useless for me.

"The most versatile pad controller in its class, ATOM is compatible with most music software"? No, it isn't, not by a long shot. In my opinion, to assign notes freely is an absolutely basic feature for a general purpose controller. Even my toy nanokey studio can do it. Very disappointing, I was really looking forward to using this.
by thilogruhl on Tue May 14, 2019 6:22 pm
OK, so here's a possible solution: There's a software called "MIDI Translator" that is able to "translate" all kinds of messages and can be used to assign different outgoing MIDI notes to incoming ones. Once I understood how it works, it was a matter of 30 minutes or so to build a simple map for all 16 pads; the whole thing working for me now.

I'm just starting out with finger drumming, so I can't say if the software adds too much time lag or something. They have a demo version or even a (somewhat restricted) free version if I remember correctly, so it should be possible to try it out without risk.

Hope that helps.
by andreasvenzke on Thu May 16, 2019 2:57 am
Hello!

You can do this inside Studio One using the chorder midi-plugin. It´s not only for playing chords with one key, it´s also a kind of notes patchbay. You can save different presets for your needs. I made myself a preset for a better layout with addictive drums.

Andreas

Windows 10 64 Bit, Intel i7 4790K, 32 GB RAM, Gigabyte Z97X Mainboard, 250 GB SSD, 2x 500 GB u. 1x 1,5 TB SATA
Focusrite 18i20 2. Gen., Faderport 8, Softube Console 1, Alesis QS7, Avid Elevenrack, Roland HPD-15, Roland BK7m "Tischhupe"
Ibanez SA 760FFM, Yamaha TRBX504
by thilogruhl on Thu May 16, 2019 5:32 am
Hello Andreas,

thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I'm used to using Reaper instead of Studio One, also I'd like to use the controller with Reason, so your recommendation is not going to work for me. But thanks anyway, I appreciate it.

Thilo
by andreasvenzke on Thu May 16, 2019 7:51 am
Hi Thilo!

I think you can do this with reaper in a similar way. Maybe this video helps:

phpBB [video]

Windows 10 64 Bit, Intel i7 4790K, 32 GB RAM, Gigabyte Z97X Mainboard, 250 GB SSD, 2x 500 GB u. 1x 1,5 TB SATA
Focusrite 18i20 2. Gen., Faderport 8, Softube Console 1, Alesis QS7, Avid Elevenrack, Roland HPD-15, Roland BK7m "Tischhupe"
Ibanez SA 760FFM, Yamaha TRBX504
by thilogruhl on Thu May 16, 2019 8:15 am
Hi Andreas,

thanks again :-) , but since I already pulled the trigger and bought the software I mentioned in my second post, I'm going to leave it that way. With it, I don't need to create a mapping for every single application, it works even with EZdrummer in standalone mode (which I'm using a lot now because I have to practice the very basics...). Thank you nonetheless, others looking for a way to reassign the pads will no doubt find the video helpful as well.

Thilo
by torbjrnbergman on Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:07 am
thilogruhl wroteI just realized that it is impossible to freely assign notes to individual pads. I'm waiting for the thing to arrive, but unfortunately I'm not even going to unpack it. Since I need two different pads to trigger the same note, it's impossible to do in the software (EZdrummer or whatever). So, this thing is completely useless for me.

"The most versatile pad controller in its class, ATOM is compatible with most music software"? No, it isn't, not by a long shot. In my opinion, to assign notes freely is an absolutely basic feature for a general purpose controller. Even my toy nanokey studio can do it. Very disappointing, I was really looking forward to using this.

https://www.codefn42.com/notemapper/index.html

7 posts
Page 1 of 1