29 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
yitaoli1 wroteJust got mine today, and yes, I get a constant high-pitched noise, especially when the pads are all bright. It only happens when 16 pads are lit. When they aren't, it's quiet.

Mine does this as well: it has an annoying high-pithed noise when S1 is open- not when it isn’t. But obviously I would like to use the Atom with S1 - but not if it comes with the unbearable iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii sound all the time.
Did any of you guys find a solution to the issue?
Thanks,
Thomas
by richardbaur on Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:22 pm
Mine does this too. Date C011903 . Too annoying to use. Will be returning.
by richardbaur on Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:34 pm
Got a replacement. This one does the exact same thing. exact same volume/pitch/behavior. Same date C011903.

will be returning this one too and giving up. they must all be crap quality or a bad batch with that date range. not wasting more time
by maksk on Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:22 pm
My new PreSonus Atom makes high pitched annoying noise too...
by thomaswilson10 on Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:23 am
I don't understand it. My atom has recently started doing this as well. It's very faint, but high pitched and painful when I turn on S1, and I've only noticed it since the last update. It doesn't happen with S1 off.

I don't know enough about this stuff to know it if its related but I do have the latest updates and have recently started using an atom sq in tandem with the atom. No issues with the atom sq.
by rmainz on Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:46 pm
Mine does it too! It sounds exactly as in the recording by lfo2k above. What makes it even worse is that the noise gets picked up by the pick-ups of my electric guitar, which makes it really unusable for recordings.

I sent a request to the customer service. After I sent them a video demonstrating the problem, they replied I should send in the ATOM for a warranty claim, which I did.

Today I got the response: "No Problem found, any electrical noise is within specification and will not be heard on midi recordings."

Honestly, this is really a joke. What specifications are they talking about and where does it say it could make noise? Of course it will not be heard on midi recordings. But this device is sold as DAW controller and if such a controller makes a noise that can be heard in recordings, it is simply useless. Audio equipment needs to be dad silent.

If making noise is "within specification", does this mean that Presonus equipment is not made for any serious audio recordings?
by SwitchBack on Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:06 pm
thomaswilson10 wroteI don't understand it. My atom has recently started doing this as well. It's very faint, but high pitched and painful when I turn on S1, and I've only noticed it since the last update. It doesn't happen with S1 off.

That's interesting new information. So with S1 off there's no noise? And when S1 is on then more pads are lit or does that make no difference? And when you use S1 that's when more usb stuff is connected to the computer or no difference there either?

Coils are the main if not the only suspects for generating unwanted noise in electronics. The Atom is a usb powered device so probably it has a voltage booster circuit inside (with one or more coils) to ensure minimum supply voltages. Such a booster has to work harder when power demand is higher (duh) but even more so when the input voltage is weak and drops when power demand goes up. So set up a test where the Atom receives a good solid 5V usb supply voltage. And use good quality minimum length usb cables. Does that get rid of the noise?
by iucwdxrd on Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:47 pm
I also get this high pitched noise.
It happens when all pads are fully lit white.
If I press setup and the pads dim a bit the noise is reduced a lot but not completely.
Any advice?
by iucwdxrd on Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:34 am
After receiving a replacement unit from Sweetwater I’m sad to say that this is a fundamental hardware problem.
I opened up the unit to identify exactly where the noise was coming from.
The loudest area is close to where the USB port is.
There are several other places on the circuit board that also emit a similar piercing 8400-8500 Hz tone.
I narrowed down where the sound was coming from by listening through a tightly rolled up piece of paper that I sealed to my ear.
The sound is not loud but it is incredibly distracting.
I previously used an Ableton Push 2 which was absolutely silent.
I’m disappointed by both PreSonus and Sweetwater who I expect better from.

29 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2