5 posts
Page 1 of 1
I've got a Novation controller, bought it cheap at a school auction where no one knew what it was. Transport, eight faders, rotary controls everywhere ... But by the time I've confirmed that I'm actually adjusting the parameter I want, I could have tweaked a half-dozen using the mouse. Aside from the Transport I see little improved workflow or better mixes. However, I can see how the single Faderport might be an advantage ... might.
Can anyone convince me the money spent is worthwhile?

Windows 11 64 bit, 12th gen i5 eight core CPU, 32GB RAM, 1810C interface, SSD drive (system) and USB SSD for audio and samples.
Studio One 6.5, Latest UC driver
by Tacman7 on Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:08 am
Remember the BCR2000 I think it was...

I wanted one of those to mix with. I got it but never used it.

Turns out I don't mix, I just put compressors everywhere and ship it out.

Not knowing my workflow or thinking I would like a new workflow is the problem there. Hard to know what you're in the process of developing.

If you're like me you don't know until you try it. Like a mic preamp, I can't try it out, I have to own it and then I can tell if I want to keep it.

I did get an original faderport long time ago, still there, works fine I use it off and on. I use the contour shuttle, that can really change the way you work.

There's a lot of features on the new faderports, read up on those and see if it would fit into your workflow.

Long as you're here...
Good to put your specs in your signature, click below in my signature.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by garyshepherd on Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:11 am
I have a FaderPort 2018 and I think it is really good - couldn't do without it now. But it depends what you think you want.

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Studio One 6.6 Professional Minus (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.3, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by peterbirch on Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:28 pm
From what you said my short answer is NO.
If you have used a mouse for many years, like me, then it is almost like it is hard wired into muscle memory. That is, if you see a fader you move it without thinking whereas with a physical one fader you will have to mentally take steps to move it etc.

What is worth the money is the FP8/16.

It is funny but using the FP8, I still move the volume faders by mouse (muscle memory) but 90% of the time use the faders on editing plugins. The Fp8/16 also has a lot of useful buttons/shifted buttons that really speeds up the workflow. I think this is one of the best pieces of equipment that Presonus has released.

I see Presonus has now released "grouping" so that multiple FP's can be grouped together.
I have this vision of me getting another FP8 and high platform shoes and with a FP8 under each hand I could become the FP Wizard ..."sure plays a mean FP"... :D

Studio One 5.5.2 - studio 192, - 1818VSL, - Digimax FS, Presonus HP4 x2 Presonus Notion 6,
Win 10 pro -- I7cpu 16gb. and Z590 Vision D 32GB & 11700
UAD Octo card UAD Apollo Twin USB and Apollo x4
Faderport 8, Faderport classic. Atom SQ
by garyshepherd on Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:29 am
One fader is perfect - faderport on the left, mouse on the right. When you click a channel or track , you then know the fader relates to that track. Ability to pan with the faderport also great. With more faders you will have to know which fader is for which track - with one it is so easy and the workflow so comfortable. So the cost of the Faderport 8 is not worth it for me - but it's up to you - just don't think more faders means better. It depends on how you work - and one fader is plenty for me and simple to work.

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Studio One 6.6 Professional Minus (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.3, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.

5 posts
Page 1 of 1