6 posts
Page 1 of 1
When I click on a track in Ableton 10 with the mouse, track 1 through 16 - the Faderport follows the focus on that track and syncs up immediately.

But track 17 and above, it does not.

Working with up to 40 tracks - I am losing the location of the Faderport, and once I find it where it has focus by clicking a next or previous button, (and scrolling my screen) I have to click those next/prev buttons (depending on direction) up to 23 times to get to track 40.

Am I missing something simple here? It seems in the classic version there is a BANK button to go to the next 8. But it does 16 just fine. What about the next 16? And the next 16?

Currently, this is making it unusable in any kind of realistic workflow for me. Please help. Otherwise I will have to return this and go back to my trackpad, and that would make me sad. The buttons are so colorful on my desk.

Sound Designer. Music. Film.
MacPro. Ableton. Logic. Reason. ProTools (when I am required to)
Apogee. Universal Audio.
http://www.bluedotproductions.com
by ristewart on Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:05 am
After discussing this with Presonus Support, they tell me the Faderport is working as it should, unable to follow the selected track in Ableton. They say this is due to the Mackie protocol.

Here's a video of the behavior. As you can see, if you can't figure out what track the faderport is focused on, it becomes unusable in a workflow - at least for me.

https://vimeo.com/329883737/aee72996bd

Apogee. Universal Audio.
by Jemusic on Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:29 pm
I also use and run Ableton. Currently I have my new Faderport 2018 set for MCU mode and controlling Ableton as well.

There is some erratic behaviour with this as you say but I have found that the best way to select tracks in Ableton is not to use the mouse to select them at all. The whole idea is to avoid the mouse.

Press the Channel Button under the rotary encoder (large blue knob) and use the blue rotary encoder knob to select tracks. It is fast and it seems to select every track without issue. (Same as using Prev/Next buttons) Once you move the encoder, Ableton seems to go under the control of where that encoder is all the time.

I have LaunchPad Pro as well but I am very glad to have Faderport right next to it. They both control Ableton really well and don't overlap very much either.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by ristewart on Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:42 am
Thanks for your reply.

To not be able to use the mouse at all means that I just obfuscated the computer to use the Faderport. Thats backwards.

I instead went the other direction, and obfuscated the Faderport - and replaced it with a Mackie MCU Pro and 3 extenders so I never lose track focus or have to bank. Yes, it's $3400 more in equipment, but my time is valuable, and the idea of kludging my workflow to use a half thought out device is untenable.

The real issue is not knowing what track I am on, and I touched that Faderport, and changed something on the wrong track. Now to try to find which one it affected? It gives me shivers! Maybe this works for bedroom producers, but in production situations, it's just not an option.

Apogee. Universal Audio.
by Jemusic on Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:31 pm
Well that is certainly one way to solve the situation!

I meant to work with mouse and QWERTY keyboard and Faderport. Some functions are best handled by any one or all of those.

I find using the encoder knob totally fine whipping through channels in Ableton. I also do a lot of professional work under time pressure too but I use Studio One also for many tasks. And Faderport 8 with that as well which is a whole different experience compared to Faderport 2018. The level of integration is high with FP8 and Studio One. You always know what track you are on with this setup.

I am wondering is Push 2 the best controller for Ableton after all. But I guess a powerful MCU setup will do similar things.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by ristewart on Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:59 pm
Well, it does fulfill the dream of a massive desk! Right? :punk:

Now, to just pay for it :readit:

I have heard that Studio One has great integration with your fader systems. Excellent for peeps that haven't integrated into a DAW they have spent their 10,000 hours on.

I hope this thread helps anyone wondering why things aren't syncing like expected. Thanks again.

Apogee. Universal Audio.

6 posts
Page 1 of 1