42 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3
Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this - or if I am just doing something daft...

If I assign the function keys on the Faderport, save the song, and quit S1, when I reopen the song again, the keys are returned to their default values. This seems very odd.

If you want to try it out - a long winded series of steps to reproduce follows. I'd really appreciate anyone either confirming that this happens to them too - or telling me I am an idiot and pointing me in the right direction to solve the issue!

Thanks...

To replicate:
Create new song
Edit the external device focus mappings for Faderport
**F4 key is currently set to 'Browser' by default
Right click the F4 key to assign command
Select 'Add bus channel' from the console menu
Click OK
Press 'F4' on Faderport
**Bus channel is created as expected.
Save song
Quit Studio One
Reopen Studio One
Reopen song
Press 'F4' on Faderport
Expected: Bus channel to be created
Observed: Browser is selected instead - the Faderport has returned to its default settings.

I'm using S1 Pro 4.1.3
Macbook OS 10.13.6
by garyshepherd on Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:15 pm
I am having the same problem - I have asked a question for this on the Presonus Ask Questions site. Very annoying.

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7, 64 bit, Studio One 6.5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.2, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by Jemusic on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:57 pm
Ok I have tested on both Windows and Mac and this is all working fine for me. Even If after changing what F4 does I open the new song or even an old one F4 has the new commands on it.

What Faderport do you have and what firmware are you guys on right now. I have updated my firmware twice recently in fact on my Faderport 8 (and 2018 as well)

There has been no info as to what the last firmware updates were for but this might something they have fixed.

Faderport 2018 (Single Fader is 3.03 and Faderport 8 is at 3.08 firmware.

Interesting thing here is the Windows version of Universal Control is later than the Mac version but both still retain new functions for me anyway.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by garyshepherd on Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:18 pm
Jemusic wroteWhat Faderport do you have and what firmware are you guys on right now. I have updated my firmware twice recently in fact on my Faderport 8 (and 2018 as well)

Faderport 2018 (Single Fader is 3.03 )

My details are in my signature - on a Mac but settings not retained.

Can't see a way of saving the Control Link changes.

Tried saving the song, but this does not retain the Faderport Assign Command changes.

Up to date on Firmware and S1.

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7, 64 bit, Studio One 6.5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.2, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by garyshepherd on Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:59 pm
Re-installed and updated Universal Control and Firmware - Firmware was already up to date but I redid the update anyway. No change - F4 and F1 both changes to Assign Command not saved when after the song was saved, Studio One closed, and then the song opened again.

Not saving - pretty rubbish really - this is basic stuff chaps. Sort it out please as its nothing I am doing.

Where does the Faderport 2018 changes get saved anyway? Is it an XML file I can manually edit and alter?

I am surprised you are able to save the Faderport settings so that they load again. Do you somehow save the changes (other than saving the song file)?

by Jemusic on Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:28 pm
Well Gary I must say this one is tricky for sure. Sorry I did not check your sig. I see you have got new Faderport 2018.

No I did nothing at all. Once I re-assigned a new function to F4 I just saved and closed the song. I saved with a new name. But even if I opened the previous song, (e.g. not the new named version) F4 provided the new function e.g. Add Bus.

I even closed the song and powered the computer down and then rebooted and reopened either an older song or the saved one and F4 still functions with the new function for me.

This works on Mac and Windows 7 here as well.

I will check any settings. One of the other forum mods had issues getting the foot switch to stick so I will give that a shot and report back.

Update

I reprogrammed the foot switch as well from the default Record function to Add Bus. This also worked fine. Even after a complete shutdown and reboot and re open of Studio One. So not sure what to say right now but I will investigate further.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by garyshepherd on Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:54 am
Thanks - please keep checking. This can only be something software based - a prefs file or XML file not saving the amended settings. Again I would be happy to edit the file if that would work - but don't see how to do that on the XML Faderport file (within the app).

by danielwexler on Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:35 am
Hi Gary,

Whilst I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble too - I am somewhat relieved to find I am not alone.

After struggling with this for a while, I have found a hack that allows me to change the function keys:

It involves directly editing the package content of the S1 installation.

By manually editing the PreSonus FaderPort (2018).surfacedata file found at:
Studio One 4/Contents/devices/Presonus/Faderport (2018)
I can get the FP to load up the desired actions to the function keys on opening.

I am in contact with Presonus support to get to the bottom of it - have you created a ticket with them? Perhaps your experience can help shed some light on the issue.

Hope this helps!

Dan
by garyshepherd on Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:38 am
Hi Dan

Thanks for responding - I have created a ticket with Presonus but no response yet.

I looked at that file in the package contents but was not sure what line to edit or what to type in. While Presonus should solve this , I am happy to edit XML - so it would be great if you could let me know what you did.

If you could show me the line edited or what you added that would be really helpful.

Thanks

Gary

by danielwexler on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:50 am
I’m not at the computer at the moment, but if you let me know what you’d like the function keys to do as an example, I’ll try and adapt the code to suit and post it when I get back. It’s fairly straight forward once you see how it works, and you can adjust it to suit...
by garyshepherd on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:00 am
That's great thanks - I was looking at assigning Shift F1 as Goto Start of Loop and Shift F4 as Goto End of Loop.

Thanks

Gary

by danielwexler on Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:22 pm
Okay, so once you've made a backup of the PreSonus FaderPort (2018).surfacedata file found in the package contents as above, try replacing the <SurfaceAssignmentPage> section with the following:

<SurfaceAssignmentPage>
<Association key="footSwitch" value="param:///CommandTable/Transport.Record"/>
<Association key="masterButton" value="param:///CommandTable/Transport.Goto Loop Start"/>
<Association key="clickButton" value="param:///CommandTable/View.Editor"/>
<Association key="sectionButton" value="param:///CommandTable/View.Console"/>
<Association key="markerButton" value="param:///CommandTable/Transport.Goto Loop End"/>
</SurfaceAssignmentPage>

That should do the trick. Let me know how it goes.

Good luck!
by Jemusic on Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:30 pm
How did you open the Surface data file? On both my systems I was not able to even open it. Also you should not have to do this. This all works perfectly for me without any of that hacking.

I did notice though that on my Mac there are two surface date files for the Faderport 2018. One has factory in the title and the other does not. i.e. it must be the one that the user creates perhaps.

by danielwexler on Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:43 pm
Yeah - I know I shouldn't have to do it!

Trouble is, although the files in the Settings Folder (where you find the .factory.surfacedata file) are updated, Studio One is not reading it - for some reason it is only reading the file that I am hacking - which is stored in the actual Studio One Application - not the Settings Folder.

To edit it:

Open the Applications Folder
Right Click Studio One 4 - choose 'show package contents'
Navigate to Contents/devices/PreSonus/FaderPort (2018)

Right Click 'PreSonus FaderPort (2018).surfacedata' and 'open with' text edit.

Now you can edit the file as normal...

Thanks for looking into this, by the way!
by garyshepherd on Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:47 pm
danielwexler wroteOkay, so once you've made a backup of the PreSonus FaderPort (2018).surfacedata file found in the package contents as above, try replacing the <SurfaceAssignmentPage> section with the following:

<SurfaceAssignmentPage>
<Association key="footSwitch" value="param:///CommandTable/Transport.Record"/>
<Association key="masterButton" value="param:///CommandTable/Transport.Goto Loop Start"/>
<Association key="clickButton" value="param:///CommandTable/View.Editor"/>
<Association key="sectionButton" value="param:///CommandTable/View.Console"/>
<Association key="markerButton" value="param:///CommandTable/Transport.Goto Loop End"/>
</SurfaceAssignmentPage>

That should do the trick. Let me know how it goes.

Good luck!

Brilliant - it works a treat - thanks so much for doing this.

While I agree with Jemusic that this should not be necessary, until Presonus fix this, this is the way to do it. Basically you open the package contents of the S1 app and go to devices, presonus, and then Faderport 2018 for me. The surface data file is there. A sweet solution.

Thank you Dan !

by danielwexler on Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:51 pm
Great! Glad to hear it sorted you out, Gary.

Let's hope we get a fix soon - but in the meantime, it's good to know that we have a solid solution.

Dan
by garyshepherd on Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:05 pm
I made some changes in Control Link - this does update and save the file in Application Support as per below :

/Users/garyshepherd/Library/Application Support/PreSonus Software/Studio One 4/Surface Data[1]/PreSonus FaderPort (2018).surfacedata

But this is not picked up by the Studio One app which refers to the file in the Devices folder. So clearly a Presonus bug - they need to get changes to Surface Data picked up by the app. So that solves part of the mystery - changes are saved in the wrong place and hence are not retained after restart. Perhaps the easiest thing for people to do is copy the file in the Library path and paste it into the Devices folder in the package contents of the app.

Over to you Presonus - I will update my Support Ticket with this information - no doubt someone can then fix this bug.

by Jemusic on Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:56 pm
garyshepherd wroteThat's great thanks - I was looking at assigning Shift F1 as Goto Start of Loop and Shift F4 as Goto End of Loop.

Gary this is one set of commands that I also really like. I had this set up for years in Logic. I like to loop around areas of interest and be able to go to the start and end of the loop quickly.

I have found for me personally this works best by simply assigning those as key commands to the numeric key pad numbers 1 and 2. e.g. 1 = Go to Start of Loop and 2 = Go to End of Loop

I had this on my Faderport as well for a while but the QWERTY keyboard is way faster. No Shift command involved either. It also means Faderport commands can be used either for their original purpose or something else.

The QWERTY keyboard is also part of your setup. No Faderport will replace everything it does and it is right there in front of you as well.

by garyshepherd on Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:39 pm
Thanks - I have a Logickeyboard Studio One keyboard with many shortcuts - so I do use it conjunction with the Faderport - but some customised functions on the Faderport are useful.

by danielwexler on Tue May 21, 2019 3:57 pm
I've just installed 4.5 - and hoorah!

This seems to be fixed.

@gary - I hope it works for you too...

42 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3