1 post
Page 1 of 1
I'm glad to see updates to Studio One happening. As always, great improvements to workflow and recording / editing audio. I wrote to Presonus about support for keyboard players previously, and I still wish there were more features for keyboard players. For example:

Better support for external vintage synths - It would be great to have a feature that retrieves patch names from the external device using MIDI SysEx commands. Managing hundreds (or even thousands) of patch names is one of the more frustrating parts of using vintage outboard gear. Of course you may not have commands for every synth/keyboard ever made, but you could cover a significant amount of the most popular ones right out of the gate and add more later. Manually entering patch names is a time-consuming pain. In fact, I'm not sure patch names can even be entered manually in Studio One v6 (I haven't downloaded it yet but I don't see this on the feature list).

Patch editing - Software plugins are great, easy-to-use and convenient, but for many there's no substitute for the real deal. Those using outboard synthesizers could use a robust Editor / Librarian. By licensing an existing editor/librarian and integrating it into Studio One, or purchasing the old Opcode Galaxy editor/Librarian and integrating that, or creating your own, you could offer some robust capabilities other current-day DAWs don't offer. Again, not every synth needs to have an editor on first release, but something that covers the most popular ones would be a great step in the right direction.

Control surface for vintage synths - Auto-mapping Presonus control surfaces to external synths would also be useful. For example, it would be fun to control the filter cutoff using a fader on the Faderport to control filter cutoff on a rack-mounted synth (anything that doesn't have knobs or faders) like the Roland JV-1080 or something similar.

One-click Patch selection - Choosing patches from a synth requires several clicks in every DAW available today. In StudioVision Pro (1985 - 1998) one could press and hold on the patch name and all patch names for that synth popped up so it was as simple as dragging to the desired patch and letting go of the button. It's disappointing that this kind of ease-of-use is still missing in modern DAWs, and this seems to be an opportunity for Presonus to offer value by resurrecting a popular feature that vanished due to poor management of a brand acquisition, not because it wasn't useful.

Of course, not everyone has vintage gear but I think enough people do that if a DAW came along to make using that gear easier, they would gladly pay for it.

1 post
Page 1 of 1