Discuss Quantum Series Interfaces Here
29 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
I’ve looked at all of the specs I could find for these new interfaces but I can’t seem to find the actual connectivity specs. Are they running at USB 2.0 speeds still or higher? All I’ve found is that they have a low latency driver but not much on the actual specs and connectivity protocol. They look great so far.
by klypeman on Wed May 08, 2024 12:18 pm
They are USB-C

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++
by tomorrowstk on Wed May 08, 2024 12:40 pm
klypeman wroteThey are USB-C

Thank you for the reply. I am aware that they connect via a USB-C connection but so do the Studio series interfaces and they run/connect at a USB 2.0 speed. I’m looking to find out if these new interfaces run at the USB 3.x speeds or Thunderbolt?
by TerjeNorway on Sun May 12, 2024 1:23 am
To me this is an downgrade. Quantum is now a StudioLive interface.

My system
Intel Core i9-10900K Processor
Noctua NH-U12A CPU cooler
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 64GB
MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Gaming X Trio 12G
StarTech Thunderbolt Cable 2M (TBOLTMM2MW)
StarTech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter (TBT3TBTADAP)
Neumann TLM 102 microphone
Presonus Quantum
Windows 10, Ableton 11, Cubase 10
by PreAl on Sun May 12, 2024 10:48 am
Yey the 2626 I didn't buy that long ago is now a "legacy" product..So no more driver support eh?

Was quite happy with the 2626 however lack of support for Linux was a bummer.

These new interfaces, absolutely no mention of whether it is USB-2, USB-3 or thunderbolt 3 or 4 etc. We are just told "USB-C" which can mean any of these, and I wonder if they work on Linux? Don't see any OS specs either.

https://www.presonus.com/en/interfaces/ ... 00502.html

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by MisterE on Sun May 12, 2024 2:20 pm
Sonically, I had no complaints about Presonus preamps on MP20s or Eurekas (don't get me going on the cheapo knobs). Any opinions on whether I can expect the MAX-HD mic preamps on the new Quantums to be at least as good?

Also, what is the deal with using (supposedly) better pres with the new Quantums regarding bypassing the onboard preamps? I think I read that there's no bypass. Can this be worked around by lowering the input gain on the Quantum and raising it on the third party preamp? That's what I've done with my Mackie Onyx Blackbird, I'm pretty sure, and no one's complained about signal purity.

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by MisterE on Sun May 12, 2024 2:21 pm
TerjeNorway wroteTo me this is an downgrade. Quantum is now a StudioLive interface.

You are a TB freak though, right? What else besides that ticks you off?

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by PreAl on Sun May 12, 2024 2:39 pm
How does anybody here know that this is or isn't Thunderbolt?

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by MisterE on Sun May 12, 2024 4:02 pm
PreAl wroteHow does anybody here know that this is or isn't Thunderbolt?

First off, looks like the forum just added a section and sub-sections for the new Quantums (HD and ES), so we're now posting in the wrong forum. I'm assuming you were talking about the new ones, right?

But these have been out three or four days now, lots of photos and reviews, and there aint no Thunderbolt option to be found. All USB-C all the time. Probably a reaction to RME not trying to keep up with all the constantly changing TB variations and getting off the protocol altogether (for the most part, there's a few of their somewhat older interfaces which still have it).

I'm seeing a lot of lametation that these new Quantums aren't all things to all people at one-third the price of other interfaces, but I can't blame Presonus/Fender for catering to the largest market demographic, people who don't have all the money in the world but want to sound pretty damned good if not ultimately good and have plenty of features and integration.

A more valid criticism, in my mind at least, is why couldn't they fit a couple of line inputs into the smaller units? As things stand, someone would have to keep plugging in and out XLR and line inputs into the two combo inputs. I get it that's all RME gives you in similar units costing 3x as much but that seems like a missed opportunity. I for one could cover a lot of ground with just two XLRs and two line inputs, but I'd have to be forced into getting more than I really need with the larger unit if I don't want to keep plugging things in and out. It would be nice to free up some desk space but oh well.

by ianaeillo on Sun May 12, 2024 4:21 pm
TerjeNorway wroteTo me this is an downgrade. Quantum is now a StudioLive interface.

Absolutely agree. No daisy chaining. No line input on one and two, SPDIF with a dongle?

I was hoping to replace my four 2632s in my mobile rig with the next gen as the old reliables are beginning to show their age but now it appears as though I'll have to make yet another switch. Metric Halo here I come.

Oh well.
Last edited by ianaeillo on Sun May 12, 2024 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Studio One Pro 5.5, Studio One Pro 6.12, Faderport 16, Faderport Classic (1.45), Metric Halo ULN-8 MKIV, Presonus Quantum, Presonus Quantum 2, Ferrofish Pulse 16, (2) Digimax DP88, Audient ASP800, BLA HD192, 27-Inch Late 2012 3.2GHZ i5 32 GB 1600 DDR3, 2Tb SSD, 10.13.6 High Sierra + 10.14 Mojave + Windows 10
by PreAl on Sun May 12, 2024 4:56 pm
MisterE wroteBut these have been out three or four days now, lots of photos and reviews, and there aint no Thunderbolt option to be found. All USB-C all the time. Probably a reaction to RME not trying to keep up with all the constantly changing TB variations and getting off the protocol altogether (for the most part, there's a few of their somewhat older interfaces which still have it).

USB-C is just a type of connector, it should not be confused with USB protocols.

USB C connectors can handle USB type 2, 3, 3.1, 3.2 type 1 and USB 3.2 type 2 protocols.

USB-C connectors can also handle Thunderbolt 3,4 and soon to be 5 protocols.

People understandably get confused by this.

So when you say "all USB-C all the time", well we know it's a USB-C connector, but we have absolutely no idea what USB protocols it supports, unless you can point me to where it is stated.

BTW calling those new forums "USB-C series" is super confusing. Thunderbolt 2626's for example are USB-C too, way to cause total confusion!

I think somebody in Presonus's marketing dept needs a USB/Thunderbolt crash course.
Last edited by PreAl on Sun May 12, 2024 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by SwitchBack on Sun May 12, 2024 5:14 pm
For these interfaces it seems you only get to learn the system requirements through you User Account, so after you buy one. Strange.
by PreAl on Sun May 12, 2024 5:25 pm
I tried to download the PDF manual, it always comes down as corrupted.

Anyway Thomann says it's only USB 2, the info is much clearer. For the life of me I don't understand why Presonus isn't indicating USB 2 in their specs, basic stuff.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/presonus_quantum_es2.htm

So @TerjeNorway is bang on here.

The "Quantum" brand gave me the impression that they were high speed low latency Thunderbolt interfaces. Not any more it seems, with all this "USB-C" been thrown around next to it, I suspect this is marketing obfuscation smokescreen or just a total lack of understanding. They really should have been branded as "Studio".(which btw also happen to be USB-C and USB 2).

by SwitchBack on Thu May 16, 2024 8:07 am
Yeah, it does feel a bit like cashing in on reputation. From the looks of it the "Award-winning XMAX preamp" was handed its retirement. Maybe the Quantum name has to fill the void for now ;)

Having said that, 3ms is still darn good, for a USB interface.
by PreAl on Thu May 16, 2024 8:46 am
SwitchBack wroteHaving said that, 3ms is still darn good, for a USB interface.

Looking forward to real world tests, there is a lot of going other stuff going on here that makes me feel sceptical, but we shall see.

by MisterE on Thu May 16, 2024 3:27 pm
PreAl wrote
SwitchBack wroteHaving said that, 3ms is still darn good, for a USB interface.

Looking forward to real world tests, there is a lot of going other stuff going on here that makes me feel sceptical, but we shall see.

The fastest car isn't necessarily the best car unless you're driving it on a race track.

The real game is each of us making the best recordings we can make, not who can use the interface with the most impressive specs.

Presonus has had at least a decade to figure out how RME manages to write great custom USB 2 drivers. They now have an extra infusion of Fender cash to throw at the task.

So, sure, be as sceptical as you want about Presonus' ability to make a $1,000 interface as great as RME's flagship $3,000 interface. But I'm not sure why everyone is so sceptical about Fender/Presonus' ability to make a convenient and capable interface at price points that don't scare people off. They know what latency is. They know if there's too much of it people will be upset. I don't say they're infallible, but I also don't discount their ability to make sound decisions about what a lot of people both want and are willing to pay for in an interface.

by PreAl on Thu May 16, 2024 4:12 pm
Well I kinda already made that point over here:
viewtopic.php?p=318164#p318164

It doesn't matter what my preliminary opinion is, what matters is what the real world tests produce.

Regardless I'm sure it will suit most people needs, but it still needs to be made clear it is USB-2. USB-2 will certainly not beat Thunderbolt 3 latency and stability, but for many it will be fine and will provide value and it will be good enough.

My real beef is with the entirely misleading marketing, using the "Quantum" brand (known for Thunderbolt interfaces) rather than "Studio" (known for USB-2 interfaces) and pushing a USB-C socket as a kinda decoy away from USB-2.(hidden from the specs) and implying that it somehow makes it all faster (even though USB-C sockets have been around for years and years in all these interfaces) and consequently (right or wrong) that amplifies my skepticism. We have already seen this obfuscation fool a few people here. But as I said, it's real world facts that count, and not what you or I think.

Bring on the benchmarks.

by TerjeNorway on Fri May 17, 2024 1:48 am
Presonus should have done what Antelope did (have both USB and thunderbolt):

I guess it is a question of economy. But why is suddenly USB now premium when PCIe and thunderbolt was premium just a year ago? Same kind of misleading stuff RME began to do.
To me Quantum used to stand for premium not anymore...

My system
Intel Core i9-10900K Processor
Noctua NH-U12A CPU cooler
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 64GB
MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Gaming X Trio 12G
StarTech Thunderbolt Cable 2M (TBOLTMM2MW)
StarTech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter (TBT3TBTADAP)
Neumann TLM 102 microphone
Presonus Quantum
Windows 10, Ableton 11, Cubase 10
by SwitchBack on Fri May 17, 2024 3:26 am
Economy of scale, I guess. If I would be the owner of a company producing audio interfaces I'd rather have my interfaces compatible with as many computers as possible. 'Exotic' interfacing may bring performance but serves a smaller market and also tends to come with a lot of 'does not work' flak. Even Apple has become less reliable than it used to be wrt. interfacing and backward compatibility. So USB(C) seems to be a safe bet, also now that the EU is pushing to make USB-C the standard charger connector across all devices.

The question I have is if this new PreSonus custom special USB driver makes the new interfaces USB3/4 compatible too, or still USB2 only. Just saying.
by PreAl on Fri May 17, 2024 4:13 am
SwitchBack wroteEconomy of scale, I guess. If I would be the owner of a company producing audio interfaces I'd rather have my interfaces compatible with as many computers as possible. 'Exotic' interfacing may bring performance but serves a smaller market and also tends to come with a lot of 'does not work' flak. Even Apple has become less reliable than it used to be wrt. interfacing and backward compatibility. So USB(C) seems to be a safe bet, also now that the EU is pushing to make USB-C the standard charger connector across all devices.

I don't understand why this has suddenly become a thing unless the marketing has swallowed people up. USB-C sockets have been standard for Presonus USB and Thunderbolt interfaces for years now. USB-C is here to stay.

SwitchBack wroteThe question I have is if this new PreSonus custom special USB driver makes the new interfaces USB3/4 compatible too, or still USB2 only. Just saying.

It's just a USB-2 interface, plugging into buses with later versions of USB will work (backwards compatible) but it will still run at USB-2 speeds.

29 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2