Discuss Quantum Series Interfaces Here
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Greetings,

I am about to take delivery on a Quantum 2 demo from a Presonus dealer in Canada.

I understand that the Quantum line does not have internal routing and requires external software. I wish to take advantage of the Quantum's low latency performance and avoid having to setup monitoring in the DAW.

Suppose I were to purchase a Digimax FS, if I can find one, or other similar device with ADAT I/O and its own converters?

Mic pre devices with A/D & D/A converters (Digimax FS, OctoPre, etc) have physical controls to route the ADAT I/O. Also, some audio interfaces that function in standalone mode, can be controlled directly through a web interface. This would eliminate the need to connect the expansion device to a compter.

Would I be able to connect the Quantum to the expansion device and use that device's internal routing? The Quantum would then function as a sort of ADAT interface, with the expansion device handing the analogue duties.

The path would be:
-analogue input in expansion device >
-ADAT out >
-Quantum ADAT in >
-Thunderbolt interface >
-Computer/DAW >
-Thunderbolt interface >
-Quantum ADAT out >
-expansion device ADAT in >
-analogue out

Any help will be most appreciated,
Graham
by ianaeillo on Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:13 am
Yes you would, if I understand your question correctly. I’m currently using the routing options in my ferrofish pulse 16 as a sort of adat patchbay which is connected to two quantums. It works flawlessly and the quantum just looks for what the interface tells it the channels are.

I’m not 100% sure what you’re getting at, but here’s how I use mine.

The Pulse 16 has 16 analog TRS i/o. The 16 ins and outs connect to analog gear.

-Analog channel one output on the pulse is hooked up to the input on a TLA-50. Analog channel one input is hooked up to the output of that TLA.

-Analog channel two output is hooked up to the input of an Ashly SC63. Analog channel two input is hooked up to the output of the SC63.

Usually I run it from S1 direct. So I send a vocal to the TLA by sending from my daw over ADAT channel one and receive it on ADAT channel one and a guitar to the sc63 on ADAT channel two and receive it on ADAT channel two.

If I know I’m gonna be using that combo together on a mixdown of a record I set the internal routing of the ferrofish to automatically send the analog input of channel two and send it directly to analog channel one output. It looks like this.

- analog channel two output -> SC63 input -

- SC63 outputs to analog channel two input then goes directly to the analog one output -> TLA input

- TLA output -> analog one input

In this scenario, the ferrofish is set up to send anything it receives in analog input one over ADAT channel two, instead of over the default ADAT channel one. Therefore Studio one is sending information over ADAT channel two and receiving it on channel two as well, despite the ferrofish receiving the input signal on what would normally be channel one.

I hope this is the answer you were looking for.

Also, get the Digimax DP88 if you can find one. It is miles beyond the FS in terms of sound quality and A/D D/A. Plus it has converter direct i/o over DB25.
Last edited by ianaeillo on Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Studio One Pro 5.5, Studio One Pro 6.12, Faderport 16, Faderport Classic (1.45), Metric Halo ULN-8 MKIV, Presonus Quantum, Presonus Quantum 2, Ferrofish Pulse 16, (2) Digimax DP88, Audient ASP800, BLA HD192, 27-Inch Late 2012 3.2GHZ i5 32 GB 1600 DDR3, 2Tb SSD, 10.13.6 High Sierra + 10.14 Mojave + Windows 10
by ianaeillo on Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:14 am
Oh I just reread your post and I over answered.

Yes you can do that. It works great lol.

Studio One Pro 5.5, Studio One Pro 6.12, Faderport 16, Faderport Classic (1.45), Metric Halo ULN-8 MKIV, Presonus Quantum, Presonus Quantum 2, Ferrofish Pulse 16, (2) Digimax DP88, Audient ASP800, BLA HD192, 27-Inch Late 2012 3.2GHZ i5 32 GB 1600 DDR3, 2Tb SSD, 10.13.6 High Sierra + 10.14 Mojave + Windows 10
by grahamderreck on Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:14 am
Thanks ian

4 posts
Page 1 of 1