Discuss Quantum Series Interfaces Here
7 posts
Page 1 of 1
Greetings,

I am just about to pull the trigger on a Quantum interface. I understand they do not have onboard routing. How would I set up to listen to web based, eg YouTube audio, internal sounds, downloaded mp3/wave, etc

Thanks,
Graham
by benackerman1 on Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:59 pm
Some of the output channels will be available as playback and record devices in Windows. For example:
audio_devices.png

Three devices appear for my Quantum 4848
    - Line OUT 1/2
    - Line Out 3/4
    - ADAT OUT 1/2
You can see from that screen capture that Windows is set to use Line-out 1/2 for main audio L/R. You get similar for record devices. The playback device can also be selected by clicking on the speaker icon in the task bar.
audio_devices_2.png
by grahamderreck on Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:48 am
Thanks Ben,

Can I assume no DAW needs to be open in order to get internal sound?
by benackerman1 on Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:32 pm
grahamderreck wroteThanks Ben,

Can I assume no DAW needs to be open in order to get internal sound?

Correct. Your DAW will probably use the ASIO driver anyway, for low latency and access to all the outputs. All you'll need to worry about is listening to the pair of line-outs you've selected. Which particular interface of the Quantum series are you considering?
by grahamderreck on Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:43 pm
Hey Ben,

That's the rub. I have an AM5 X670E motherboard with a 7950x CPU. The board has onboard Thunderbolt 4 (AMC calls it USB4).

The 2626 is Thunderbolt 3, which is compatible with 4, but it's a bit stripped down.

I would prefer the Quantum 2 - there are demos available. However, being Thunderbolt 2, it is not officially supported by Intel or Presonus in a Thunderbolt 4 system and I understand it is problematic.

I do have a Thunderbolt 3 dock which is recognized by the Thunderbolt controller and I could purchase a 3 to 2 adapter. I have read that Thunderbolt 4 machine to 3 dock, to 3/2 adapter, to the Quantum 2 can work.

I know there's a thread about this issue, but it seemed inconclusive.You have insight on this?
by benackerman1 on Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:01 pm
USB 4 is quite the "glorious mess", to quote Linus Tech Tips. If the TB3 dock is working though, that seems a promising sign.

In my setup, I'm using a Quantum 4848 (TB2) with an Alienware 13 R3 laptop (TB3), connected via a Cable Matters TB3 to TB2 adapter. This setup has behaved well. If the motherboard manufacturer has done a decent job with their USB4 implementation, I'd be cautiously optimistic. However, I have no hands-on experience with USB4 and would caveat the hell out of that optimism with a "your mileage may vary" disclaimer.
by grahamderreck on Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:01 pm
Thanks man. Have a good one

7 posts
Page 1 of 1