Discuss Quantum Series Interfaces Here
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Would it be possible (if I can find one *) to use a usb rack interface's adat outs into my Quantum 2626 when using my Q2626 as the main interface in S1 5.5, but use the the usb interface's monitoring to hear it's inputs through my monitors when not using S1 5.5 ?

I'm aware Q2626 has no hardware monitoring on it's own.

* I would need to find an interface or preamp that allows use of main and ADAT outs simultaneously
by SwitchBack on Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:58 am
Hi and welcome to this forum :)

Not many (any?) interfaces run without a computer connected. So you'd be looking at running two interfaces simultaneously. Mac can do that, or use two Windows computers.

With two computers clocking could become an issue. ADAT has an embedded clock signal but don't know how well that works between two interfaces. Other than that I see no reason why it wouldn't work.
by 2pods on Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:18 am
I don't think I explained it very well.
See if this makes more sense

I know the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 works in standalone mode (i.e. NOT an interface), behaving just like a mixer, which is what I would want when not using a computer/DAW
So, I would connect my instruments to that so I could use it that way via it's analogue inputs.

However, when I want to use Studio One 5.5, I would want to use my Quantum as the input, being fed from the standalone Focusrite's ADAT out to the ADAT in of the Quantum 2626.

Only one interface being used with one Windows computer (or not) at all times, though I would need a monitor controller or switchbox to connect both to one pair of monitors
by 2pods on Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:08 am
I had a reply from Focusrite :

Technically yes this would all work. You can monitor through the 18i20 line outputs/headphone output and you will need to assign what goes to the line and headphone outputs in Focusrite Control when setting up the unit in standalone mode.

There are not many mixer capabilities as this type of thing is normally done in Focusrite Control, effectively whatever level signal you have going into the inputs will go to the outputs you have assigned.
When setting this up you might need to have the 18i20 be the lead clock source (18i20 set to the internal clock, quantum set to clock over ADAT), I only suggest this as when the quantum is of the 18i20 would then lose clock if it was set to ADAT as its clock source and would not work without the quantum turned on.

There however is a chance that you would be fine having the 18i20 connected over USB at the same time the quantum is connected over Thunderbolt as they would be using separate drivers, you could then still route the 18i20 to send audio to the quantum over ADAT but then you would have control over the unit in Focusrite Control.

So, I'll order the Focusrite from amazon.co.uk. At least if it doesn't work I can send it back :thumbup:

4 posts
Page 1 of 1