Discuss Quantum Series Interfaces Here
12 posts
Page 1 of 1
Update: PreSonus have released driver version 4.1.0.93124, and the 4848 BSOD issue seems to have been fixed. If you've been sticking to the V3 driver due to this issue, you can probably update to V4 now.

Original post:
Having just finished a reinstallation of Windows 10, I downloaded the driver listed for the Quantum 4848 from the PreSonus website, which was version 4.0.0.90879. The driver installed fine and the interface sprang into life, but the second it tried to make any sound (such as a system sound), I hear about 0.1 seconds of sound followed by a BSOD citing the following stop code:

DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION

If I bring up the PreSonus control panel, it shows the 4848 as present, but if I try to change any parameters or bring up the hardware meters, the same BSOD occurs.

I've installed the previous driver v3.6.4.87069, and this driver is behaving fine.
Last edited by benackerman1 on Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by petervesterlund on Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:09 am
I have the same problem now with mine Quantum 4848.
It worked before perfectly on my PC , and then I didnt use for a few month, because I was building a new home studio, and now when I connected it to my PC again I got BSOD.
Thunderbolt finds it, and I can open Universal Control and see it there, but as soon as I click on the picture of Quantum, the input/output menu is seen shortly and then Blue screen.

I tried reinstall both win 10 and 11 and updated everything, bios, firmware and drivers, but nothing helps.
I opened a ticket at presonus support two days ago, and they have tried to help me, but nothing that they gave me helped.
And rigth now in their last messages, they gave up.

This is so sad and annoying.
I hope they come up with a solution for this.
I bought it in may 2022 and its a lot of money to just throw it away now.
by benackerman1 on Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:33 am
petervesterlund wroteI tried reinstall both win 10 and 11 and updated everything, bios, firmware and drivers, but nothing helps.
I opened a ticket at presonus support two days ago, and they have tried to help me, but nothing that they gave me helped.

Do you also have this problem with Universal Control v3.6.4.87069? That one behaves fine for me; it's only the 4.x driver that gives me the problem.

Also, are you getting the same DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION stop code on the BSOD? It's an especially weird error, since according to the driver verifier manager, all such checking is disabled.
by petervesterlund on Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:23 am
benackerman1 wrote
petervesterlund wroteI tried reinstall both win 10 and 11 and updated everything, bios, firmware and drivers, but nothing helps.

Do you also have this problem with Universal Control v3.6.4.87069? That one behaves fine for me; it's only the 4.x driver that gives me the problem.

Also, are you getting the same DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION stop code on the BSOD? It's an especially weird error, since according to the driver verifier manager, all such checking is disabled.

Thanks, I didnt think about testing an older Control driver, but I tested now, and it works. :)
So is it any problems using this driver instead?

Yes, with the 4.x driver I also got DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION
by benackerman1 on Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:13 pm
The v3 driver should be fine to use, but any improvements and fixes that are brought along will require the use of v4 and onward, and there does seem to be a pretty serious problem with the v4 thunderbolt driver that renders it unusable. I don't want to be stuck on an old driver. Hopefully the devs are paying attention.
by petervesterlund on Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:31 am
I bought a Mac Mini for the studio now, I want to be sure that everything works for a while, and Mac and thunderbolt seem to be a more reliable combination.
by pbakhaeo on Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:58 am
I don't get BSOD. Mine just freezes up and locks up and I have to restart my computer
by andrewmacaulay on Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:19 am
Same for me with Quantum and Quantum 4848. I've reported to PreSonus Support but, as my config is Thunderbolt 4 via Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, they are blaming it on that - even though this setup was working fine on Universal Control v3.x.

I'm hoping that you've all filed a bug report to PreSonus so that they maybe can have a look at it. I'm interested to see what benefits UC4 might have for my setup, but in the meantime will work with UC3 (hoping it may improve hot plug behaviour, although not holding out much hope for that).
by skargribirgisson1 on Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:01 am
I have the same problem on my Quantum 2626 that I bought yesterday. Will be returning it today if no solution is found soon. Grrr.
by benackerman1 on Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:52 pm
Just a heads-up: I've updated the original post, as the BSOD problem that was reported with the initial v4 driver release seems to have been fixed with version 4.1.0.93124 released on 18th April. If you were sticking to V3 because of this issue, you can probably use the latest driver now. Thanks for the fix PreSonus.
by TerjeNorway on Mon May 22, 2023 2:42 am
I also got blue screen (DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION) with the newest Universal Control v4_1_0_93124 on my system. Updating to the thunderbolt 1.41.1340.0 driver on Windows 10 (Gigabyte Z490 VISION D native thunderbolt 3) seems to have fixed the the Blue Screen BSoD for me:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 11ebv.html

I uninstalled my old thunderbolt driver in device manager and checked with the thunderbolt control center that only the application was installed (then a pc restart) before I installed the new thunderbolt driver. I also turned my pc completely off (power cable out) and emptied it for power after installing the new driver. Then leaving the pc of for a minute or two before tuning it on again. This is always a good thing to do when installing new important hardware drivers. Then check again with thunderbolt control center that the new driver is installed.

This is only on Windows 10 (22H2) since Windows 11 has the newest thunderbolt driver included in the OS

Attachments
Screenshot (15).png

My system
Intel Core i9-10900K Processor
Noctua NH-U12A CPU cooler
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 64GB
MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Gaming X Trio 12G
StarTech Thunderbolt Cable 2M (TBOLTMM2MW)
StarTech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter (TBT3TBTADAP)
Neumann TLM 102 microphone
Presonus Quantum
Windows 10, Ableton 11, Cubase 10
by TerjeNorway on Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:08 am
I still get the BSOD blue screen. Seems when I change the buffer size in the Universal Control software "too fast" it blue screens. So I can trigger the blue screen when I want just by changing buffer size fast in the software.
I have tried many ways to fix it with no luck. Even tried to turn off DMA in bios which did not make a difference. Something is not right with the thunderbolt driver on newer Windows 10 builds. When I try to go back to an older driver like Universal Control 3.6.4.8706 it blue screens on installation. When I install the old driver without Quantum connected it installs but blue screens when I connect the audio interface again.

My system
Intel Core i9-10900K Processor
Noctua NH-U12A CPU cooler
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 64GB
MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Gaming X Trio 12G
StarTech Thunderbolt Cable 2M (TBOLTMM2MW)
StarTech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter (TBT3TBTADAP)
Neumann TLM 102 microphone
Presonus Quantum
Windows 10, Ableton 11, Cubase 10

12 posts
Page 1 of 1