Discuss Quantum Series Interfaces Here
2 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I need help/advise from someone who really knows about this. I use 2 interfaces on my current mixing set up. I have the Quantum 4848 for the I/Os and the Quantum 2626 for the rest. They are daisy chained to my computer and all work great. But I'm afraid there's a double conversion going on (?) So here's my set up:

- Inputs of 16 channels Neve summing mixer connected to Outputs of Quantum 4848 via db25
- XLR Outputs of Neve mixer to XLR Inputs of stereo EQ
- XLR Outputs of EQ to XLR Inputs of stereo Compressor
- XLR Outputs of Comp to TRS Line In 7 and 8 of Quantum 2626

So are the Eq and Comp going thru the Quantum's 2626 AD-DA converters, right? Or it's just the DA converter? Is there any way (with those 2 interfaces) to have all 3 units (mixer, eq, comp) to hit the AD and back to DA as a whole, once? Like on a single interface lets say an UAD Apollo.

Thank you
by ianaeillo on Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:15 am
jesstzimas wroteHello,

I need help/advise from someone who really knows about this. I use 2 interfaces on my current mixing set up. I have the Quantum 4848 for the I/Os and the Quantum 2626 for the rest. They are daisy chained to my computer and all work great. But I'm afraid there's a double conversion going on (?) So here's my set up:

- Inputs of 16 channels Neve summing mixer connected to Outputs of Quantum 4848 via db25
- XLR Outputs of Neve mixer to XLR Inputs of stereo EQ
- XLR Outputs of EQ to XLR Inputs of stereo Compressor
- XLR Outputs of Comp to TRS Line In 7 and 8 of Quantum 2626

So are the Eq and Comp going thru the Quantum's 2626 AD-DA converters, right? Or it's just the DA converter? Is there any way (with those 2 interfaces) to have all 3 units (mixer, eq, comp) to hit the AD and back to DA as a whole, once? Like on a single interface lets say an UAD Apollo.

Thank you

Is there a reason you aren’t going back into the 4848 and instead going into the 2626 for DA? Unless I’m misremembering, the converters on the 2626 have less dynamic range than the 4848 and it’s been mentioned that the line inputs on the 2626 are not direct line; rather they pass through the mic preamp gain stage. After receiving some warnings from some folks on the message board on audible sonic differences between the 2626 and the rest of the quantum line, i skipped the 2626 and just bought another quantum with the same converter dynamic range.

But yeah, why go to another interface than the one you left?

Studio One Pro 5.5, Studio One Pro 6.12, Faderport 16, Faderport Classic (1.45), Metric Halo ULN-8 MKIV, Presonus Quantum, Presonus Quantum 2, Ferrofish Pulse 16, (2) Digimax DP88, Audient ASP800, BLA HD192, 27-Inch Late 2012 3.2GHZ i5 32 GB 1600 DDR3, 2Tb SSD, 10.13.6 High Sierra + 10.14 Mojave + Windows 10

2 posts
Page 1 of 1