Discuss Quantum Series Interfaces Here
27 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Hi i'm new to this forum, i have already started a support ticket about this but I figured to maybe get some info here.

I've recently purchased a Quantum 2626 but have not been able to get it to work.
I already did some research and I read that in most cases the Q2626 sync light is supposed to be doing something? At least blink red or blue but mine has not turned on ever.

Might this be because I'm having the wrong TB3 cable or maybe a faulty device?
I have this TB3 cable.

These are my system specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270X-UD5 (native TB3 support)
TB3 AIC: Gigabyte Alpine Ridge (rev 2.0)

My bios has the latest firmware, i've also installed the TB3 firmware update provided by Gigabyte, shut down power for 30 seconds and after that the Thunderbolt card seems to be recognized in the software.

tb3.PNG
Thunderbolt Software Details

I've also installed Universal Control 3.4.2.63992 including the Quantum drivers.
I have tried both TB3 ports on the AIC and on the motherboard.
The Q2626 is not showing up anywhere and as said before the Sync light has not been on yet.
by frazfraz on Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:46 am
Hi,

I've installed thunderbolt on several motherboards - and it can be a pain in the neck.

Make sure the BIOS has thunderbolt enabled - make sure the card is inserted into the correct PCI-e slot - make sure the other USB drivers including ASMEDIA 3 drivers are installed correctly if your board had ASMEDIA USB as well.

There may be a force power to thunderbolt option in the BIOS -

Mess around and try booting with the Quantum switched on - and vice versa boot the machine and switch on quantum after booting - a combination may be needed.

TBT_WIN10_64_17.2.71.250 <<<<< try a newer version of thunderbolt driver

There are several versions of the thunderbolt driver available dating back to 2015 - 2014 or what ever.

I don't know what board you are on -

Gigabyte have a rev1 card and a rev 2 card - I mostly have rev 1 cards but do have a rev 2 card - but check the pages below for compatibility

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GC ... -rev-10#ov
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GC ... -rev-20#ov

Have a look and post back with good news
by frazfraz on Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:07 am
Hi - this is your board right?

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA ... v-10/sp#sp

There is on the back panel a thunderbolt 3 connector - so you would not need a thunderbolt add in card to use the back panel thunderbolt connector.

To use an Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 add in card there needs to be a 5 pin header on the motherboard.

The card goes into a PCI-e x16 slot @ x4 lanes - then the card is connected via cable to the 5-pin header on the motherboard - but your board does not have this.
by frazfraz on Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:14 am
Hi,

Sorry for all the posts - See the pic and do the best you can as it should work.

So to wrap up - there is no need to use "Gigabyte Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 Card REV 2" - Your board does not have an AIC 5-pin header so cannot be used on this board.

Your board has integrated thunderbolt 3 into the back panel (native)_and your 2626 plugs directly into this in the back panel.

Forget about the AIC on this board - :D - I hope this helps - :thumbup:

Attachments
gig_z270_ud_th_3_connector.jpg
thunderbolt 3 back panel GIG_Z270_UD5
by frazfraz on Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:31 am
Now this is off topic slightly but 100% connected to THUNDERBOLT ONLY.

I saved some pictures from online pertaining the subject and backed them up. If you study these a little then you'll know a lot more about the history of thunderbolt on Windows machines over the last few years. - :rtfm2: - (only joking) - :reading: - :reading: :reading:

I've included some thunderbolt 2 & 3 pictures that will help a little as thunderbolt compatibility and knowing what was what was very difficult and the only people interested pretty much was the audio interface crowd - :D

Attachments
hp_th3_card_mini_dp.jpg
gigabyte_th3_card_usb_c.jpg
asus_th_3_card_pic_usb_c.jpg
asus_th_2_card_pic_mini_display_port.jpg
asus_gen_1_th3_card_usb_c.jpg
asrock_th3_card_usb_c.jpg
asrock_th_2_card_mini_dp.jpg
5_pin_th_header_pic.jpg
by jarnodevries on Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:33 am
Hello frazfraz, thank you for your reply.

- I have installed the AIC in the bottom PCI-e slot (which according to the manual is x4)
- My mobo does have a 5-pin THB-C header and is also connected
- I have tried different BIOS settings, this are my current settings:

bios.jpg
bios

I don't have much TB3 settings in my BIOS, can't find any FORCE POWER or GPIO power anywhere.

I'll try and remove the AIC, search for newer drivers and use the integrated TB3 from the mobo.
by frazfraz on Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:44 am
Wow your board does have a 5 pin AIC header - but I couldn't see it in the list of i/o devices on the motherboard. I had a look in the manual and not much was stated about this.

Have you tried re_installing the thunderbolt drivers -

You also have thunderbolt in the back panel

Attachments
gig_z270_ud_internal i o connectors.jpg
by frazfraz on Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:50 am
Hi,

It could be an idea to see if the thunderbolt in the back panel works - :thumbup: - Then have a look at the AIC header afterwards.

Your board is 100% on the list of supported devices - for the Gig_TH3_AIC_REV_2

Attachments
gig_z270x_ud5_TH3_AIC_REV_2.jpg
by frazfraz on Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:57 am
Maybe try the security level - see the other options.

Try Universal Control re_install - just play around till it works.

I've always got thunderbolt working - a newer version may be needed on your Windows 10 ??? - trouble shooting is a pain - :thumbdown:

Check which version of BIOS you have installed - F6d is the newest one -

[17.2.71.250]
[16.2.52.250] = other versions of thunderbolt driver

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA ... hunderbolt
by jarnodevries on Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:37 am
I have removed the Alpine Ridge AIC from my PC and I have installed Thunderbolt Driver 17.2.71.250.
Strangely enough the Thunderbolt software still displays there are 2 ports but there is only one TB3 connector on my motherboard.

tb3_2.PNG

Still no sign of life on the Q2626 unfortunately..
I'll keep trying different BIOS settings
by frazfraz on Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:49 am
Hi,

Try one of the older versions of thunderbolt - I put in a picture from the gig down load section

Attachments
gig_z270x_ud5_th_down_load.jpg
by frazfraz on Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:54 am
Hi,

I've included a picture of the USB 3.1 download on your board - Strangely, it is labelled 15.230.250 which is thunderbolt numbering and is only for Windows 7, however, may work on your board ?

I do a lot of trouble shooting on my own boards and sometimes never know what'll come my way in the form of trouble - :( so I try things out till it works.

You could try re_installing the chipset & MEI -

Switch power on and off on your 2626 -And start thunderbolt software as ADMIN - by right click on the thunderbolt software

TRY SECURITY LEVEL AS WELL - :D

Thunderbolt boot support - disabled - ?

Attachments
intel usb 3.1 driver.jpg
by frazfraz on Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:05 am
Has this been done? - It is not thunderbolt but still a "critical" update for Intel Management Engine Firmware Update

re_install the drivers again ?

or an EARLIER version of "Universal Control"
or an APPLE thunderbolt cable (but all thunderbolt cables should all be equal_?)_

on a uad apollo twin - thunderbolt 2 interface on an asrock z170 pro gaming i7 - i boot pc - then switch off the interface power - then switch back on again - and the interface software should interact with the OS - and the thunderbolt connection should kick in straight away after a second or two.

Sometimes different versions of TH software are needed - but it should work straight away -

Attachments
gig_intel_ME_critical_FW_update.jpg
by jarnodevries on Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:25 am
Thanks for all your input frazfraz!

I've tried the third TB driver you suggested (software run as administrator):

tb3_3.PNG

Also i've installed the USB3.1 driver (15.2.30.250)
Tried the Gigabyte Intel ME Critical update but the setup utility tells me there's no need because it's already patched.

Whenever I set the Security Level settings in BIOS to anything other than 'none' the thunderbolt software shows Controller driver version 'Unknown' so I figured that's not the way to go..

Other bios settings i've tried:

- TB boot support enable/disable [no change]
- Skip PCI option rom enable/disable [no change]

What worries me is that i've read some examples where people tell that their Quantum device sync light starts blinking red even when they just boot their PC (before the OS is loaded so I think this has nothing to do with Universal Control?) It would be nice if someone from Presonus support could enlighten me on this or someone else who has a Q2626.

I might try and get a apple thunderbolt cable (and spend another 50 bucks mehhh)
Also this weekend i'll take my Q2626 to a friend who has a Macbook with TB3 to try and see if the Q2626 is working.
by frazfraz on Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:36 am
Maybe try an older version of Universal Control.

The 2626 is a new interface - I just got a Quantum (not used yet)_ which is why I'm here.

I have Gig Z170 Gaming 7 & Gig Z270X Aorus Gaming 9 (half price)__and so far all thunderbolt has worked.

Try chipset and MEI & USB 3 drivers - then boot machine and switch 2626 on and off - and try earlier version of universal control -

try unplugging the thunderbolt cable in and out when powered on ? - (anything to try)_

RE-FLASH BIOS - F4 - F5 -F6 ? - just to see - If this was my board I'd be scratching my head trying stuff out.

How are other 2626 owners doing?
by frazfraz on Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:45 am
https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... Windows-10

When thunderbolt is installed the system should auto detect - and a window appears when it finds the thunderbolt device - so your device hasn't been found.

The question is why?

All the ideas I've mentioned are all the things I try when stuff goes wrong.
by frazfraz on Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:15 am
OK,

Try_power on pc & 2626 - boot up with interface switched on.

Then switch off 2626 - then wait a second - then power on 2626 - and pray - it works

>>> is a firmware update needed on the 2626???
>>> Does Wndows 10 need an update?
by frazfraz on Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:08 pm
Hi,

I don't know if this is important or not.

Which version of Windows 10 are you running - It's always being updated - The build version on my office machine is 20H2 and is the newest - but newest isn't always best.

I don't know if you have older versions of Windows 10 with installers backed up - Because when you get up and running you probably won't want updates unless you need them but Windows always wants to update even if you disable updates the OS switches them back on as it were.

After you Apple cable arrives you'll know more.

1909 or earlier should be ok for Windows 10 - It's good to have older installers backed up to avoid the relentless pursuit of the re-invention of the wheel - :D
by TerjeNorway on Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:55 am
You did install the Thunderbolt FW Update Tool? It can be found here:
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/ ... 0x_ud5.zip

Follow the instructions very closely. You probably have to uninstall the thunderbolt driver and audio interface driver first. If you have tried that FW update tool try it again.
remove the system power cord for at least 30 seconds after FW update. Thunderbolt function will be available after system powers on.

Also updated to the latest bios and the latest chipset drivers. You should probably install the latest bios and chipset before you use the FW update tool. Also remember to enable thunderbolt and no security after a bios update.
After all this install the latest thunderbolt driver from Gigabyte support: 17.2.71.250

By the way there is no thunderbolt header on that motherboard so you can ONLY use the native thunderbolt port back on the motherboard. Pull out that add on card. Even if your board for some strange reason have a thunderbolt header I would not use it. Also be sure you have a thunderbolt cable and not a USB-C cable. By the way it is normal that the thunderbolt software says two ports.

So be clear this is what you have to do:
1) Uninstall all thunderbolt software and Universal audio
2) Pull out the thunderbolt add in card
3) Update to latest bios and chipset (be sure thunderbolt is enabled, no security)
4) Install 17.2.71.250 thunderbolt driver
5) Install the Thunderbolt FW Update Tool, follow instructions
6) Install Universal Audio thunderbolt driver
7) Plug in the Quantum in the native thunderbolt port on motherboard
8) Set thunderbolt software to Always connect

If it still does not work I can help you doing more trouble shooting. But do all I have mentioned first.

My system
Intel Core i9-10900K Processor
Noctua NH-U12A CPU cooler
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 64GB
MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Gaming X Trio 12G
StarTech Thunderbolt Cable 2M (TBOLTMM2MW)
StarTech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter (TBT3TBTADAP)
Neumann TLM 102 microphone
Presonus Quantum
Windows 10, Ableton 11, Cubase 10
by jarnodevries on Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:16 am
So a little update;

Today I had the chance to test the Q2626 on a Macbook Pro with TB3 and the Q2626 is still doing nothing.. So this leads me to think the problem is the cable that i'm using or the device is faulty.

I've already ordered a Apple TB3 which will arrive wednesday, if this doesn't fix the problem i'm sending my Q2626 to the store.

27 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2