Discuss Quantum Series Interfaces Here
27 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
Hi,

I've not used a Presonus Quantum yet but..... is there a need to update the firmware? (I suppose it should work anyway)_without firmware update

It could be the thunderbolt cable ! - but firmware?

I suppose FWIW an interface that is not physically damaged should work! -

The fact you tried on Mac (is 100% foolproof)_unless the device needs a firmware update ? - Just something to consider

Or the darn cable -

If it does turn out to be the cable - you could get in touch with the company to complain - especially if it is Intel Certified for thunderbolt.

Intel was very picky about thunderbolt certification - :(

Star Tech are meant to be good and there seems to be good review by other users - but I've just stuck with Apple mainly (apart from an experiment to be done on cable matters cables).

Intel invented thunderbolt for Apple - :) - And if these don't work it would be interface (firmware) or defect hardware
by jarnodevries on Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:49 am
So my Apple TB3 cable arrived today.
Tested the Q2626 on a MacBook and still nothing...
I will send the Q2626 back to the store.
by TerjeNorway on Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:18 am
jarnodevries wroteSo my Apple TB3 cable arrived today.
Tested the Q2626 on a MacBook and still nothing...
I will send the Q2626 back to the store.

Seems like you maybe are one of the unlucky ones with a faulty device

My system
Intel Core i9-10900K Processor
Noctua NH-U12A CPU cooler
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 64GB
MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Gaming X Trio 12G
StarTech Thunderbolt Cable 2M (TBOLTMM2MW)
StarTech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter (TBT3TBTADAP)
Neumann TLM 102 microphone
Presonus Quantum
Windows 10, Ableton 11, Cubase 10
by jarnodevries on Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:03 am
Another update;

So the Quantum 2626 has been sent back to the store, haven't got any word from the store yet but i'm hoping they'll return a new device to me next week.

However I was still very curious to find out if Thunderbolt is working on my pc so I bought a TB3 M.2 SSD enclosure (this one) with a Kingston M.2 SSD.

And i'm very relieved I can confirm the TB3 functionality is working properly!
I've tried the device with the motherboard TB3 and also with the GC-Alpine Ridge card and it's working both ways! (with a lightning fast connection :D )

So this gives me good hope that when i'll receive another Q2626 it will work.
by jarnodevries on Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:10 am
Today I finally received a replacement Q2626 (damn postal service was taking their time..)

And it's working! :D
I'm using the GC-Alpine Ridge AIC and the device is connected and all in Windows and OSX Catalina 10.15.7 (i'm running a dualboot Hackintosh system)

I will share my (very limited) bios settings later if anyone is interested.
by frazfraz on Mon May 03, 2021 7:43 am
Hi,

Great to hear you got another device that works. How many people have had a bad Quantum 2626? - just a handful?

Are the regular Quantums 2632 affected like this? - I got a Quantum but not used it yet.

Most thunderbolt is very easy to install so as long as someone installs the drivers correctly and uses the correct thunderbolt version for the OS everything should "just work".

Early versions like Z170 Gigabyte the firmware needed updating too but this wasn't difficult either.

Sometimes on Apollo Twin thunderbolt the device isn't found but after restarting the interface it suddenly works.
by PAE Seth on Tue May 11, 2021 3:51 pm
FYI, Windows 10 no longer supports SL0 Security level for TB3 devices. You MUST approve devices manually now inside the TB controller software. Also, there are newer versions of the controller software that have the look and feel of Windows Store Apps. That's the one you should be using Check Mobo support downloads.

Also, not every PC supports Hot Plug, so cold boot with device connected maybe needed. I found this true on X99 and X299 machines. My i9 Z390 Designare (Gigabyte) can hot swap all day however. Each mobo is different in its' implementation of TB.

PC #1: Asus Prime Z690-P, i5-12600k 10-core (6+4), 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz, RTX 3060 12GB, ADATA XPG 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD, 2 x 1TB WD Black HDD

PC #2: ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe II, i7-7820X 8c/16t, 16GB 2666 MHz DDR4, GTX 1060 3GB, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD (Win10 Pro), Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD (Win11 Pro), OWC Aura 512GB NVMe M.2, 2 x 1TB HDD

Mac: 2010 Mac Pro 6 core 3.33 GHz, 32GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD RX 5500 XT 8GB, Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 Card, Aquantia 10Gbps AVB card, Dual eSATA PCIe + Stardom 8xHDD Raid Tower

27 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2