Discuss Quantum Series Interfaces Here
11 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi there everyone. I am planning to buy a Quantum interface and am trying to decide between the original Quantum (26x32) and the recently released Quantum 2626.

The original Quantum is at higher price point, but my budget is flexible and there are some open box Quantum units for just a couple hundred bucks more than the Quantum 2626 (which is newer so not a lot of used units out there, that I have seen anyway).

I have some questions about specific differences between the units, that go beyond the obvious feature differences. In terms of features, both models have the things I actually need, thus making it a tougher decision.

My specific questions:

1-Is the Quantum 2626 the exact same audio quality and specs in terms of mic pres, A/D conversion, D/A conversion, S/N ratio dynamic range, etc. Is there any additional sound quality benefit of getting the original Quantum, in any way?

2-My computer is a 2018 Mac Mini that uses Thunderbolt 3, with a USB-C form factor connector. That means that with the newer Quantum 2626 I could just plug in a normal thunderbolt 3 "C to C" cable, but with the original Quantum, I would need to use a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter.

My question is, is there ANY penalty/consequence in terms of latency, stability, by using an adapter and running the older thunderbolt 2 Quantum unit, on my newer Thunderbolt 3 computer? The whole point of getting a newer Thunderbolt interface, is for super low latency, stable, rock solid operation. If needing to use the adapter creates any drama or complications, that would sway me towards getting the Quantum 2626.

3-In addition to using the interface to record and mix, I will also be using the interface to listen to music, while working and typing at the same desk for long stretches of time.

This means I adjust the volume knob, for adjusting the listening level of iTunes, very often, and want it to be a comfortable experience. I see that the Quantum 2626 has a mid-sized control knob that looks kind of crowded in with some other knobs, whereas the original Quantum has a huge control room knob that’s not crowded in with other stuff.

Has anyone used the monitor controls on both and found one of them more comfortable or better feeling than the other. I know this is getting more than a little anal retentive, but this is the control I will use the most and want it to feel nice when adjusting, not loose or wobbly, fiddly to reach for and adjust, etc.

I think that’s everything for now. In general I am leaning towards the original Quantum since some of the extra features, while not necessary, could be useful. Also, having most of the mic pre inputs on the rear would make for a neater setup in my particular studio.

However, I am open to everyone’s opinions.

Thanks!
by kirkeeb on Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:11 pm
steinber wrote1-Is the Quantum 2626 the exact same audio quality and specs in terms of mic pres, A/D conversion, D/A conversion, S/N ratio dynamic range, etc. Is there any additional sound quality benefit of getting the original Quantum, in any way?

- Hey Dan...I believe there is a comparison chart on the main Presonus website in the "downloads" section that breaks down the specs of both of these units.

steinber wrote2-My computer is a 2018 Mac Mini that uses Thunderbolt 3, with a USB-C form factor connector. That means that with the newer Quantum 2626 I could just plug in a normal thunderbolt 3 "C to C" cable, but with the original Quantum, I would need to use a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter.

My question is, is there ANY penalty/consequence in terms of latency, stability, by using an adapter and running the older thunderbolt 2 Quantum unit, on my newer Thunderbolt 3 computer? The whole point of getting a newer Thunderbolt interface, is for super low latency, stable, rock solid operation. If needing to use the adapter creates any drama or complications, that would sway me towards getting the Quantum 2626.

- I own the Quantum 2626 running a Late 2012 Mac Mini using the TB adapter and I must say it is solid as a ROCK! (see my earlier post about issues i had = (make sure to use an Apple TB cable)
With using the Apple TB cable 3 to 3, your machine should be rawkin and super speedy!

steinber wrote3-In addition to using the interface to record and mix, I will also be using the interface to listen to music, while working and typing at the same desk for long stretches of time.

This means I adjust the volume knob, for adjusting the listening level of iTunes, very often, and want it to be a comfortable experience. I see that the Quantum 2626 has a mid-sized control knob that looks kind of crowded in with some other knobs, whereas the original Quantum has a huge control room knob that’s not crowded in with other stuff.

Has anyone used the monitor controls on both and found one of them more comfortable or better feeling than the other. I know this is getting more than a little anal retentive, but this is the control I will use the most and want it to feel nice when adjusting, not loose or wobbly, fiddly to reach for and adjust, etc.

- I'm using the (passive) Mackie Big Knob to control output of my 2626 and I love it! It's built like a tank. Another passive monitor controller I recommend is the A Design Audio "ATTY" super small foot print and sturdy. I Love my Quantum 2626...all those inputs and outputs and the mic pres sound punchy and clear. I say go for the 2626!!

Good Luck!

"What Time Is It?" - Morris E. Day
http://www.curtbisquera.com

Quantum 2626 Interface
Apple (Late 2012) Mac Mini
Mac OS Catalina / 10.15.7
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
by chrisb15 on Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:26 am
I have a purchased a Quantum 2626, and although I like the audio premamps etc, my midi does not work correctly. Notes hang about 2 minutes into playing weather I am using Logic X, Hauptwerk (Virtual Pipe Organ Software), Studio 1 or Cubase on the Windows side of my Mac.

One thing you might want to consider is if you are going to put the Quantum in a rack. If you are, 8 inputs on the front of the unit is a good thing. I can't remember if the original Quantum is set up this way.

I miss my Fire Studio Project. It worked properly for years and also had an on/off switch the front too.
by jamesglew on Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:51 am
I would get the original as it's a more mature product imho.

I have a 2626 and currently have a ticket open in relation to the new firmware which I'm not very happy with. If it doesn't get resolved I will be selling the unit and going with another brand.
by frank.crow on Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:37 pm
I have the original and I love it. Preamps are so clean and the latency is nearly nonexistent which is what I needed being that I use a hybrid workflow including pipeline XT.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V6
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)
Softube. Console 1 MK3 (pending)
Presonus. Faderport 8 (dual)

"God's grace" :D
by 60s Pop Man on Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:23 am
Might as well add the Quantum 2 to the discussion.

I can certainly make use of the inputs in the 2632 or 2626, but most of the time, the I/O available on the Q2 would cover my needs.

The low latency performance for virtual instruments, good/excellent-sounding preamps, and the MIDI I/O for either connecting a MIDI guitar controller or my Roland sound module is the main attraction.

In my case having two inputs on the front and everthing else in the rear would work best, but I won't rule out the 2626.

Controlling the preamps from Studio One (and FP8?) is another draw to the original Q or Q2.

M1 Mini (16GB RAM, 1TB SSD) / macOS 13.6 / S1 6.5 Pro / Melodyne 5 Editor / Notion 6.8.4 / Faderport 8, Eris 5
by robertgray3 on Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:47 am
Quantum 2 has been discontinued. I love mine but I would not recommend it due to that fact.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by 60s Pop Man on Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:14 pm
robertgray3 wroteQuantum 2 has been discontinued. I love mine but I would not recommend it due to that fact.

Thank you for weighing in.
As a reader more than a contributor here, I alway appreciate your straight responses.

M1 Mini (16GB RAM, 1TB SSD) / macOS 13.6 / S1 6.5 Pro / Melodyne 5 Editor / Notion 6.8.4 / Faderport 8, Eris 5
by klypeman on Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:02 pm
I like my 2626 as it is very clean on pre’s and simple in the UC and no way to twiddle other than RTA (button on/off) so not much to go wrong there, I really like the RTA to have a little forewarning of the EQ, have had no problems with MIDI so can not help there.
The Magazine Sound on Sound declared that it was the TB3 audio device with lowest latency when it came out if I recall right.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++
by 60s Pop Man on Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:32 pm
I'm looking forward to checking out the 2626 next week.
The SOS article on the 2626 was compelling argument to save a few bucks.

More to follow.

by 60s Pop Man on Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:40 pm
Setup of the 2626 was easy.

Connection via TB2 cable to apple TB2/TB3 adapter to a 2012 Mini yielded a steady blue light.
UC indicated a need for a firmware uprade. No issue.

MIDI was enabled in UC but a restart was required for it to appear in the macOS AudioMIDI setup utility.
A Roland GI-20 MIDI guitar converter is hooked up to the MIDI ports and works great. That means one less USB cable as I don't to use a separate MIDI interface.

When looking into the options, I wasn't sure I'd like the jacks in the front. My general setup is not set-and-forget, but neat cable management was a priority. My desk does have a cable hole to route cables underneath and they surface right near the front jacks of the 2626. Perfect!

Front jacks: An electric guitar is always in the first instrument jack with either a bass or an acoustic guitar with a magnetic pickup in the second. My Boss GP-10 can now remain connected to line inputs 3 and 4. The front jacks offer flexibility in swopping out sound module multi-output cables with two condenser mics that I haven't used in a while.

Way to go Presonus!

11 posts
Page 1 of 1