Discuss Quantum Series Interfaces Here
76 postsPage 2 of 4
1, 2, 3, 4
penjojay wroteHere's some new info I received from support after linking them to this thread:

[i][i]1. Navigate to Windows Update and ensure all updates current

2. Visit Gigabyte's website at the following link and download latest drivers and firmware for your BaseBoard Product Z390 AORUS MASTER-CF:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z3 ... -dl-driver
>>>Check BIOS, ThunderBolt, and chipset

3. Optimize as outlined here:
https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... rce=search

4. Perform this full uninstall/reinstall of Universal Control:
> Disconnect the Quantum from your computer.
> Hit the Windows Key
> Now type “View advanced system settings” and press return
> Click Environment Variables button.
> Click the New button for the top section on this window.
> For "Variable Name:" type this exactly.
devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
> For "Variable Value:" enter a single number " 1 ".
> Click OK a couple times and then open the Device Manger.
> Click the View menu and check "Show Hidden Devices".
> Right click and Uninstall any "Quantum", "PreSonus", and or "Unknown Device" you see listed under any category.
> Restart your computer.
> Install Universal Control again
> Connect and power on the Quantum
> Restart the computer and retest the issue.

Also, we recommend using StarTech brand ThunderBolt 3 cable for proper connection.
[/i][/i]

Quite a few steps there, so I won't be getting around to completing it right away. Perhaps this is useful for anyone else who hasn't heard back from support yet or submitted a ticket.

EDIT: Tried it. Did not work.

Re
Surprise surprise! They don't want to admit there is an issue now.....do they!
I put in a ticket too but as soon as they said update to the latest uc (which i had already told.them I had) I gave up.
When I tried to fix my firestudio project they stuffed me around for like a month of "fixes" and wasted much of my time when it was clearly a driver issue...products = good customer service = poop! They are not interested in looking into fixes as it's not their software it's your fault or computer specs it doesn't work. :thumbdown:

Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Intel Core i9 9900K 8 Core LGA 1151 3.6GHz CPU
Corsair Hydro Series H100x Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Dual 6G OC Graphics Card
Western Digital Black 500GB m.2 SN750 NVMe SSD
Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM
Western Digital Black 4TB harddrive
ADATA 2TB XPG SX8200 Pro PCIe M.2 NVMe SSD
StarTech -Thunderbolt 3 Cable TBLT3MM2MA
by penjojay on Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:50 pm
walkintheseshoes wrote
penjojay wroteHere's some new info I received from support after linking them to this thread:

[i][i]1. Navigate to Windows Update and ensure all updates current

2. Visit Gigabyte's website at the following link and download latest drivers and firmware for your BaseBoard Product Z390 AORUS MASTER-CF:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z3 ... -dl-driver
>>>Check BIOS, ThunderBolt, and chipset

3. Optimize as outlined here:
https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... rce=search

4. Perform this full uninstall/reinstall of Universal Control:
> Disconnect the Quantum from your computer.
> Hit the Windows Key
> Now type “View advanced system settings” and press return
> Click Environment Variables button.
> Click the New button for the top section on this window.
> For "Variable Name:" type this exactly.
devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
> For "Variable Value:" enter a single number " 1 ".
> Click OK a couple times and then open the Device Manger.
> Click the View menu and check "Show Hidden Devices".
> Right click and Uninstall any "Quantum", "PreSonus", and or "Unknown Device" you see listed under any category.
> Restart your computer.
> Install Universal Control again
> Connect and power on the Quantum
> Restart the computer and retest the issue.

Also, we recommend using StarTech brand ThunderBolt 3 cable for proper connection.
[/i][/i]

Quite a few steps there, so I won't be getting around to completing it right away. Perhaps this is useful for anyone else who hasn't heard back from support yet or submitted a ticket.

EDIT: Tried it. Did not work.

Re
Surprise surprise! They don't want to admit there is an issue now.....do they!
I put in a ticket too but as soon as they said update to the latest uc (which i had already told.them I had) I gave up.
When I tried to fix my firestudio project they stuffed me around for like a month of "fixes" and wasted much of my time when it was clearly a driver issue...products = good customer service = poop! They are not interested in looking into fixes as it's not their software it's your fault or computer specs it doesn't work. :thumbdown:

Yep. Not too surprising, as of course they were just trying to make sure I really fully uninstalled the driver. But I gave it the benefit of the doubt just in case it somehow magically worked. Now I did not try installing all of the Gigabyte mobo drivers, because who has time for that? There are like 40 and I don't want all that unrelated crap. I did ask support if they had a specific on they wanted me to try though, so I am waiting to hear back.
by penjojay on Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:53 pm
I've just noticed that there's a new version of Universal Control (Nov. 17th). Has anyone updated and noticed a change to this issue?
by walkintheseshoes on Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:18 pm
penjojay wroteI've just noticed that there's a new version of Universal Control (Nov. 17th). Has anyone updated and noticed a change to this issue?

No, didn't fix it unfortunately. I was really hoping it would.
Its just a driver update and no firmware update.

by penjojay on Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:51 pm
Darn, I tried it too before I saw your post. No luck for me, either.
by bernatartiguesribas on Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:27 am
Hi mates. Exactly same problem here. Quantum 2626 and Windows 10 are not good friends...

Any last minute solution???
by TerjeNorway on Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:12 pm
All of you should make a ticket so Presonus get their act together

My system
Intel Core i9-10900K Processor
Noctua NH-U12A CPU cooler
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 64GB
MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Gaming X Trio 12G
StarTech Thunderbolt Cable 2M (TBOLTMM2MW)
StarTech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter (TBT3TBTADAP)
Neumann TLM 102 microphone
Presonus Quantum
Windows 10, Ableton 11, Cubase 10
by penjojay on Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:36 pm
TerjeNorway wroteAll of you should make a ticket so Presonus get their act together

Agreed, though I know a lot of us have. Presonus, please! lol.
by walkintheseshoes on Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:49 pm
As I had already done that I went and messaged Rick naqvi on FB and asked him to pass on and get someone to at least watch the video I placed.
I'm hoping that will gain some traction...??
Only time will tell...

by roberthardy1 on Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:49 pm
Yes I'm having the EXACT same issue, also, opening the UC software and making sure the ADAT mixer is open fixes the issue, its bizarre, going to open a ticket.
by erichaarbauer on Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:51 pm
[Edit: Removed signature with obsolete system specs.]

Same problem here. Like others have said, it doesn't interfere with DAW use (Studio One), but sound from other applications, including Chrome and Spotify, disappear when the source is changed.

Changing Quantum 2626 settings in UC will reenable the sound. At first, I was changing the sample rate from 44.1kHz to 48kHz and back. Turns out it's faster to change the block size from my typical 128 to anything and back.

Quantum 2626, 1.3-83 firmware, UC 3.4.0.61835, power plan optimized, Gigabyte Vision D z490 motherboard, Intel TB drivers 1.41.890.0, StarTech 2 meter TB cable.
Last edited by erichaarbauer on Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by kmnqwvup on Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:52 am
So here's my $0.02. For the longest time I didn't notice this problem because I very often had Ableton running in the background. Then I began having the aforementioned issue with sound playback stopping every time a new video on u2b would start. After a bit of fiddling around I came to the realization that playback would work fine with Ableton running. This seemed a bit excessive so I tried just playing an mp3 in the background with the volume turned all the way down...works just as well (set to repeat for endless functionality). It's a little more resource friendly than having a DAW running in the background for no reason other than just making your desktop audio function, though far from what I'd call a satisfactory solution. This is obviously a driver related issue but from what I've read in this forum, I can't say I'm feeling optimistic about Presonus addressing the issue.
by josephellis1 on Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:53 pm
Windows 10 audio drivers do not support multiple devices playing at the same time.
by walkintheseshoes on Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:58 pm
josephellis1 wroteWindows 10 audio drivers do not support multiple devices playing at the same time.

Don't mean to rain on your parade but:
1: never had an issue using 2 x firestuido projects using win 10
2: works perfectly fine when I have both units on and apply the "fix" I found
3: using just 1 unit has the issue unless you apply the "fix" I found.

End result = driver issue just like everyone else that has posted the same issue :thumbup:

by yansytin on Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:52 am
Works fine if you run Universal Control like in the screenshot, in the background. So I wish PreSonus would fix it eventually, but for now this is an okay workaround :thumbup:

Attachments
post.png
by erichaarbauer on Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:07 pm
Hey @walkintheshoes, you may want to update the post title to say "found a workaround" instead of "found a fix". That might help get a little more attention from Presonus folks scanning the board.

I just put in a thanks for bringing this up by the way. Running with the ADAT dialog open is clumsy, but far less irritating that changing settings at random times!

Windows 11 Pro
64GB RAM, Intel Core i9 10850K
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB
Quantum 2626, 2m StarTech TB cable
by brunodzogovic on Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:28 pm
This is a typical power delivery related issue with Thunderbolt 3.

Shortly said, the Thunderbolt 3 has a passthrough via the PCI-express lane to communicate directly with the CPU of the computer, which allows the BIOS to assign the power states the CPU utilizes (P1, C1 etc) to the hardware so you can daisy-chain multiple different devices on top of eachother.

The clock of the CPU is dynamic and the power delivery sometimes goes in bidirectional way via Thunderbolt 3 if you are powering your device also with an adapter. This can confuse the hardware and make it wait for power, which is absurd.

- Solution: Go to Universal Control and click on "Settings" > "Options" and in the "General" tab you will see an option "Enable optimized PreSonus power plan for Thunderbolt audio streaming". This should allow the Intel Thunderbolt drivers to synchronize your PC's power plan with the one the Quantum 2626 needs. I have also Quantum 2, which is on Thunderbolt 2, and works great with a T2-to-T3 converter and doesn't have this issue because Thunderbolt 2 has different architecture from Thunderbolt 3 regarding power delivery over the cable.
Screenshot 2021-01-30 232724.png
Universal Control options

Last but not least - USE A GOOD CABLE! Yes, I'm shouting. I had an "Aliexpress T3" cable that was rated to 20 Gbps, which I was using for research in 5G networks and cloud, but for real-time applications such as audio, you will need active Thunderbolt 3 cable. It didn't work well with the Quantum 2626 until I replaced it with another. It's costly, yes, but necessary and you are buying this once.

For the Quantum 2626, I'm more worried about a higher RTT latency I'm experiencing when recording. Live monitoring should be ultra fast and low latency, however it is not the case. I will open a ticket on this after I demonstrate it in a session these days.
by erichaarbauer on Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:39 am
brunodzogovic, I had previously seen the problem with the optimized power plan selected. After your Jan 30, 2021 post, I went to check again and found the power plan option unselected--perhaps because I recently tweaked the system-wide power settings. I reenabled it, and at first I thought it was a solution because I didn't see a recurrence that night. However, I've seen the 2626 go silent a few times since then, and I've confirmed the optimized power plan is still selected.

My cable is in my sig. I can't say an active cable wouldn't solve the issue for me, but why would a different cable have the same effect as leaving UC's ADAT window open?

Windows 11 Pro
64GB RAM, Intel Core i9 10850K
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB
Quantum 2626, 2m StarTech TB cable
by walkintheseshoes on Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:50 pm
brunodzogovic wroteThis is a typical power delivery related issue with Thunderbolt 3.

Shortly said, the Thunderbolt 3 has a passthrough via the PCI-express lane to communicate directly with the CPU of the computer, which allows the BIOS to assign the power states the CPU utilizes (P1, C1 etc) to the hardware so you can daisy-chain multiple different devices on top of eachother.

The clock of the CPU is dynamic and the power delivery sometimes goes in bidirectional way via Thunderbolt 3 if you are powering your device also with an adapter. This can confuse the hardware and make it wait for power, which is absurd.

- Solution: Go to Universal Control and click on "Settings" > "Options" and in the "General" tab you will see an option "Enable optimized PreSonus power plan for Thunderbolt audio streaming". This should allow the Intel Thunderbolt drivers to synchronize your PC's power plan with the one the Quantum 2626 needs. I have also Quantum 2, which is on Thunderbolt 2, and works great with a T2-to-T3 converter and doesn't have this issue because Thunderbolt 2 has different architecture from Thunderbolt 3 regarding power delivery over the cable.
Screenshot 2021-01-30 232724.png

Last but not least - USE A GOOD CABLE! Yes, I'm shouting. I had an "Aliexpress T3" cable that was rated to 20 Gbps, which I was using for research in 5G networks and cloud, but for real-time applications such as audio, you will need active Thunderbolt 3 cable. It didn't work well with the Quantum 2626 until I replaced it with another. It's costly, yes, but necessary and you are buying this once.

For the Quantum 2626, I'm more worried about a higher RTT latency I'm experiencing when recording. Live monitoring should be ultra fast and low latency, however it is not the case. I will open a ticket on this after I demonstrate it in a session these days.

I would like to say this helped but it did not.
In fact when I put on presonus power plan and play something the CPU hits 100% and stays there until I stop using the interface driver( stop playing music)

I use a high quality tb3 (40gb 100w)cable from Startech and not an issue when starting and stopping my DAW.

Again as everyone else that has this issue it has to be a driver issue as why does the issue not exist when you open the interface and click adat.... strange glitch!

Appreciate your advice, shame it didn't work tho.

by walkintheseshoes on Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:45 pm
I CELEBRATED TOO QUICK

I just noticed there was an update today (10/2/21) to UC and also a firmware update so i really had my fingers crossed.

UC: 3.4.1.63149
Firmware: 1.3-86

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :

The new driver and firmware didn't fix it..... :thumbdown: