Discuss Quantum Series Interfaces Here
76 postsPage 3 of 4
1, 2, 3, 4
No dice. I just had a repro with the new UC and firmware versions.

Windows 11 Pro
64GB RAM, Intel Core i9 10850K
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB
Quantum 2626, 2m StarTech TB cable
by TerjeNorway on Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:40 pm
If the ADAT selected "fixes" the problem I would not use a lot of energy on it except regularly remind Presonus through a ticket.
Does the ADAT selected "fix" the problem for all, or are the still people having this issue with ADAT selected?

My system
Intel Core i9-10900K Processor
Noctua NH-U12A CPU cooler
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 64GB
MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Gaming X Trio 12G
StarTech Thunderbolt Cable 2M (TBOLTMM2MW)
StarTech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter (TBT3TBTADAP)
Neumann TLM 102 microphone
Presonus Quantum
Windows 10, Ableton 11, Cubase 10
by erichaarbauer on Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:35 pm
TerjeNorway, it's not a fix, it's a workaround. It wasn't designed to require the ADAT window to be open all the time. There's a bug that needs fixing. For my part, I hope those of us affected by the bug keep exchanging information. I'd agree that mere complaints would not be helpful to us or to PreSonus.

Windows 11 Pro
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
by brunodzogovic on Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:01 am
walkintheseshoes wrote
brunodzogovic wroteThis is a typical power delivery related issue with Thunderbolt 3.

Shortly said, the Thunderbolt 3 has a passthrough via the PCI-express lane to communicate directly with the CPU of the computer, which allows the BIOS to assign the power states the CPU utilizes (P1, C1 etc) to the hardware so you can daisy-chain multiple different devices on top of eachother.

The clock of the CPU is dynamic and the power delivery sometimes goes in bidirectional way via Thunderbolt 3 if you are powering your device also with an adapter. This can confuse the hardware and make it wait for power, which is absurd.

- Solution: Go to Universal Control and click on "Settings" > "Options" and in the "General" tab you will see an option "Enable optimized PreSonus power plan for Thunderbolt audio streaming". This should allow the Intel Thunderbolt drivers to synchronize your PC's power plan with the one the Quantum 2626 needs. I have also Quantum 2, which is on Thunderbolt 2, and works great with a T2-to-T3 converter and doesn't have this issue because Thunderbolt 2 has different architecture from Thunderbolt 3 regarding power delivery over the cable.
Screenshot 2021-01-30 232724.png

Last but not least - USE A GOOD CABLE! Yes, I'm shouting. I had an "Aliexpress T3" cable that was rated to 20 Gbps, which I was using for research in 5G networks and cloud, but for real-time applications such as audio, you will need active Thunderbolt 3 cable. It didn't work well with the Quantum 2626 until I replaced it with another. It's costly, yes, but necessary and you are buying this once.

For the Quantum 2626, I'm more worried about a higher RTT latency I'm experiencing when recording. Live monitoring should be ultra fast and low latency, however it is not the case. I will open a ticket on this after I demonstrate it in a session these days.

I would like to say this helped but it did not.
In fact when I put on presonus power plan and play something the CPU hits 100% and stays there until I stop using the interface driver( stop playing music)

I use a high quality tb3 (40gb 100w)cable from Startech and not an issue when starting and stopping my DAW.

Again as everyone else that has this issue it has to be a driver issue as why does the issue not exist when you open the interface and click adat.... strange glitch!

Appreciate your advice, shame it didn't work tho.

I had a good experience with trying to provide an uninterrupted power to the PCIe lane of the extension card for Thunderbolt-3 in order to keep the interface connected and not lose the link due to interruptions. Works, until it doesn't. What I notice is change in sample rate and the power optimization automatically turns itself off! Trippy to the maximum!

I tried to experiment a bit to provide a SR-IOV virtualization passthrough to a Linux VM to try to decode whatever is happening on hardware level with the PCIe lane where the Thunderbolt resides, but that was not successful no matter what I did. I will try soon with another motherboard (this one is Asus Z-390A Prime with ThunderboltEX extension PCIe card). The other board is Gigabyte Designare for the same CPU model but with onboard Thunderbolt-3 controller and I will update here whether it works or not.

What is worse to mention and that definitely concludes in my knowledge is the fault of the Quantum 2626 (and/or the firmware/software), is that I have another Presonus Quantum 2 unit, which works on Thunderbolt-2. This one works outside the box! Whatever you put it through, it will give you a sound without any hiccups. It even maps an emulation of audio hardware for paravirtualization drivers so you can use it directly as I/O in hypervisors and virtual machines. Quantum 2626 is faulty and doesn't seem so far like it's a reliable model at all despite all the hype of a low-latency interface. If Presonus doesn't do anything about this, I will switch to some other brand that at least listens to what the users say and responds with adequate customer support. This way I'm spending too much of my precious time onto operational investments of this character, which explains why bug developers are paid so well. When the company doesn't have adequate developer team, the investment to make something work further stacks on top of the cost for the price of faults and errors. In the end they can simply discontinue this unit and we will be left here talking how leaving the ADAT window up will keep the 2626 operational.

For the matter of fact, I also have a DP88 ADAT, and you guessed right - the unit is discontinued :)

EDIT: I came across some ultra interesting findings while experimenting in the last few days, which lead me to think about what problem the 2626 may have. What I did was trying to figure out if I can map a physical function of the audio interface to a virtual one via Intel drivers. I ran a Linux (Debian) virtual machine in VMWare and used SR-IOV to install the pass-through from Windows 10 to Linux in a VM. Inside the VM, it is recognized as an "analog output", a generic one and should work outside the box with any hardware, but there's a catch :D

Namely, whatever you do it will not work and this is not related to the virtualization being unable to map sucecssfully the physical address of the PCIe lane of the extension card (ThunderboltEX). It's back again the same problem that bothers you all which makes it impossible for the virtual machine to provide an output. The only way it works is the following:
    1. Before playing anything, start your Windows 10 PC and immediately after that run a Linux VM, then log in to it and minimize it.

2. Start a YouTube on your Windows 10 host (successfully so you can hear a sound) and let it play.

3. Open the VM again and go to YouTube and play something

4. Bang!!! Everything works and both videos are audible. The VM's playthrough is flawless without any stuttering as you may experience with generic hardware, means the Thunderbolt 3 rocks hard and via SR-IOV provides you insane performance in terms of latency.

Conclusion - It's the unit itself and how it's programmed. The relationship between the onboard firmware and the Universal Control is not optimized, there's bugs which definitely mess up with the power states of how the unit interacts with the PC. A cable can make some difference but not as big as this to disable the entire unit from losing focus on other application or get stuck in some disconnected state, although it's perfectly connected to the computer. Hopefully the developers or QA people from Presonus can check these forums and use it in their advantage to troubleshoot this and fix it for us once and for all.

(I was doing research on Thunderbolt 3 and 5G networks, mapping like this cloud virtual functions to provide 1 Tbps networking speeds in datacenters for enhanced mobile broadband sliecs - 40 Gbps per virtual network function, so it really works in the audio world as well)
by TerjeNorway on Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:23 pm
erichaarbauer wroteTerjeNorway, it's not a fix, it's a workaround. It wasn't designed to require the ADAT window to be open all the time. There's a bug that needs fixing. For my part, I hope those of us affected by the bug keep exchanging information. I'd agree that mere complaints would not be helpful to us or to PreSonus.

My point was...do the workaround works for all? Just make a ticket once a week or something to remind Presonus about it.
I don't see a "big" problem having the extra ADAT graphic appear.....but I don't have to do it :lol:

My system
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
Presonus Quantum
by penjojay on Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:28 pm
TerjeNorway wrote
erichaarbauer wroteTerjeNorway, it's not a fix, it's a workaround. It wasn't designed to require the ADAT window to be open all the time. There's a bug that needs fixing. For my part, I hope those of us affected by the bug keep exchanging information. I'd agree that mere complaints would not be helpful to us or to PreSonus.

My point was...do the workaround works for all? Just make a ticket once a week or something to remind Presonus about it.
I don't see a "big" problem having the extra ADAT graphic appear.....but I don't have to do it :lol:

Beyond the principle of the issue, that wouldn't be a big deal- But even with this workaround it's still unstable for me, I often need to restart my PC or reboot the interface to regain sound or get rid of artifacts. Ugh.
by gabrieljitea on Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:52 am
The latest firmware/universal control made everything worse. This workaround worked, I just needed to open the quantum page from UC and close it afterwards and everything worked until a restart.

Now the sound hangs, a workaround now is to switch to my laptop soundcard and then back to Quantum. Very annoying, I will probably end up selling mine. Sometimes the quantum page from UC remains in loading and does not open at all. Also opening Studio One or Ableton used to make it work, now if it's dead only a restart for Quantum make it responsive again.

Tried every solution in this thread. The long one with clean install worked for like an hour :(

LE: The Presonus Quantum power plan keeps my 10th generation i7(6 cores) at 100% usage
by penjojay on Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:36 pm
Hi all,

I submitted another ticket to Support. Again, they are asking me to:

"...2. Go to the Gigabyte website and search your model computer/motherboard. Install updates to BIOS, ThunderBolt, firmware and chipset. These are very important for proper computer function."

I can update BIOS no prob, but I mean "firmware update" is a pretty vague notion, right? Like there are at least 50 seemingly unrelated drivers on that page, 8 alone under the chipset section. That's a whole lot of work that I don't see many people needing to do to get their interfaces (or much else) working.

Plus, since these are drivers, wouldn't you need to reinstall with every Windows clean install?

Just feels like I'm being jerked around a bit but please let me know if I've somehow missed the norm in my years of PC building/usage experience and you guys are doing all this. (not meant to sound snippy, just clarifying my experience with working multiple professions centered around the PC/interfaces).

I sent them a response asking to clarify these points as well.
by walkintheseshoes on Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:49 pm
penjojay wroteHi all,

I submitted another ticket to Support. Again, they are asking me to:

"...2. Go to the Gigabyte website and search your model computer/motherboard. Install updates to BIOS, ThunderBolt, firmware and chipset. These are very important for proper computer function."

I can update BIOS no prob, but I mean "firmware update" is a pretty vague notion, right? Like there are at least 50 seemingly unrelated drivers on that page, 8 alone under the chipset section. That's a whole lot of work that I don't see many people needing to do to get their interfaces (or much else) working.

Plus, since these are drivers, wouldn't you need to reinstall with every Windows clean install?

Just feels like I'm being jerked around a bit but please let me know if I've somehow missed the norm in my years of PC building/usage experience and you guys are doing all this. (not meant to sound snippy, just clarifying my experience with working multiple professions centered around the PC/interfaces).

I sent them a response asking to clarify these points as well.

Been there done that! Seems to be their answer for everything, it's never their drivers that cause any issues. It's because you have old and outdated gear (2020 model) running your system.
I totally understand they want you to try that and respect that but they can't keep blaming your/our system for driver/firmware related issues.

Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Intel Core i9 9900K 8 Core LGA 1151 3.6GHz CPU
Corsair Hydro Series H100x Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Dual 6G OC Graphics Card
Western Digital Black 500GB m.2 SN750 NVMe SSD
Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM
Western Digital Black 4TB harddrive
ADATA 2TB XPG SX8200 Pro PCIe M.2 NVMe SSD
StarTech -Thunderbolt 3 Cable TBLT3MM2MA
by krzysztofratyski on Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:35 pm
I have a very similar issue with Quantum 2626 but the workaround does not work here. My problem is that after every pause/unpause I loose audio in my Quantum. But only in Windows apps that are not using ASIO drivers (like Youtube, Vimeo, VLC or KMP players, etc.). Every ASIO app is working great.
When I close web browser or player and open it again audio is back again. But the milisecond after pausing and unpausing the song or video there is silence again. I discovered that when I dissconnect and connect again the TH3 cable the sound comes back. So it looks like the hardware part of Quantum 2626 is hanging or something.
Does any of you have the same isuue?
I wrote to Presonus, but until now they just treated me with the same steps as Penjojaj wrote about. So still no luck in solving this problem.
by TerjeNorway on Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:42 am
krzysztofratyski wroteI have a very similar issue with Quantum 2626 but the workaround does not work here. My problem is that after every pause/unpause I loose audio in my Quantum. But only in Windows apps that are not using ASIO drivers (like Youtube, Vimeo, VLC or KMP players, etc.). Every ASIO app is working great.
When I close web browser or player and open it again audio is back again. But the milisecond after pausing and unpausing the song or video there is silence again. I discovered that when I dissconnect and connect again the TH3 cable the sound comes back. So it looks like the hardware part of Quantum 2626 is hanging or something.
Does any of you have the same isuue?
I wrote to Presonus, but until now they just treated me with the same steps as Penjojaj wrote about. So still no luck in solving this problem.

Do you have the bios thunderbolt settings like this:
- Security settings to: No Security
- Boot Once enabled

Do you have a laptop or desktop? What asio driver, audio interface do you use?

My system
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
Presonus Quantum
by jpdunn76 on Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:13 am
I was wondering if you if you have gotten you problem fix with Quantum 2626 i tried all the things they said to do, i think it is a driver problem too. I may be the interface cannot read the sample rate. they need to fix it. Do you have problem in Studio One ? well I do cracking sound when the track count goes up!!! :( :(
by chandran on Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:49 pm
Hi, by hazard I solved this problem and now I can run many daw's and apps I like at the same time and listen songs on you tube without any problems (and everything at the same time if I want!)...I uninstalled the thunderbolt app (not the driver) and run at startup UC, my bios settings are in legacy mode (without security).It worked for me I hope it works for other people.

In my case I the problem was between the win 20H2 update and maybe the thunderbolt app, there is also a problem due to the way windows manage the power plans in that version (if I like to use the presonus power plan I have to check the option box after each restart, but I don't mind because this plan is not useful at all and I don't see any benefits when ON, you can have the same power plan if you like with disable idle on processor power management). Before this 20H2 update everything worked flawlessly... The presonus support is really bad because they don't want to look at the problem and don't even try to listen at what you experience ( for trying to solve the bug...every software dev do that to solve problems...!) instead they prefer to answer " i'ts time to change your computer, your model is old" even if everything worked for month's before this 20H2 update. It's disappointing and am not confident for the future driver reliability of this sound card...I hope they change their behavior concerning the support. Everything work's fine for me now but I had to spend time with trial an error installation.
by tedmawson on Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:02 pm
I too have this issue; I had it on my setup using an older Dell XPS15 9559 laptop running WIndows 10 that died on me.

So I went out and bought an Intel NUC8i5BEH mini PC that has 1 TB / USB-C port. The setup and install has gone fine so far, first I took ALL Windows 10 updates and then ALL Intel BIOS updates and then I installed Studio One (Sphere). So arguably I have all the latest hardware and software but the issue s still there.

If I run a Youtube video and then pause it, there's no sound after I hit play again. If I close that tab and then reopen the closed tab, it works again so that's the Workaround for me but I'll also try the UC running idea.

Now I'd like to add a 2nd display which will have to be using a USB-C to HDMI hub that has a USB-C data port on it that will (hopefully) pass the TB signals through to the 2626. I've found a hub made by VAVA on Amazon that claims a 5 GBps throughput (USB3.2 Gen2) on its USB-C port; has anyone used this or can recommend another that will go faster?

Dell XPS 15-9550, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Inte
l i7-6700HQ @2.6 GHz, 16 G Ram, 4k screen w 4k external monitor. Presonus Studio 68c, Atom, Nektar LX61+ KB, JBL studio monitors with Sub.
by walkintheseshoes on Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:38 pm
It's so bad to see everyone experience's the same issue with tech support.
As stated they just tell you uninstall drivers, reinstall drivers, updates etc etc which i think is valid, but one you do that and they can see the issue is wide spread they should have to look into their coding for the driver and ask whoever codes it to fix it as they are also paying them for a service!

Imagine if you bought a car and you had stereo problems and you did all the above but still had issues then more and more customers had the same issue with that stereo.....Yep, there would be a recall as it would be deemed a fault and would HAVE to be fixed/replaced under law.

On the 15th of May can we ALL please put in a ticket pointing to this thread
Why the 15th?? it will give the people on this thread a chance to read and action and hopefully new customers with the same issue.
Set a reminder in your calendar :+1

Cheers

by erichaarbauer on Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:26 pm
Good call, walkintheseshoes, my reminder is set!

Windows 11 Pro
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
by walkintheseshoes on Wed May 05, 2021 6:51 pm
UC latest firmware.JPG

Latest driver and firmware out.......
You guessed it, no dice :thumbdown: :cry: :evil:

by tomstorms on Mon May 10, 2021 12:30 am
I haven't seen a resolution for this issue yet. Does anyone know if there is a real fix yet?

In my case, I'll be watching a YT video and it will be fine until a commercial begins. ASAP, I click SKIP ADS. At that point the audio stops. Sometimes there is an audible click or snap sound signaling the end of audio.

My workaround is:
1) pause the video playback.
2) open the "Thunderbolt Control Center"
3) Select "Approve Thunderbolt Devices" from the dropdown menu
4) Click on the box that says Quantum 2626 (box then turns from blue to green)
5) restart video playback

It's a pain in the bleep but at least it works for me. A fix would be better.

I'm a Friend of Bill's

Win7 64Bit Intel I7 8GB SSD Boot and 10K RPM Raptor Drives for Audio TCElectronic StudioKonnekt48 interface AKAI MPK49 Control surface Frontier Tranzport Event ASP8 speakers with 10" M-Audio Sub
by vincentjames3 on Tue May 11, 2021 7:01 pm
Hello Friends

Just wanted to take a moment to comment on here also. I'm going thru the same exact issues as everyone else on here with my brand new quantum 2626.

For what it worth, I also have an Apollo twin X and an Antelope Discrete that I use and I have not had any issues with the thunderbolt on either unit.

I can play youtube, spotify, etc and there is never an issue with the sound dropping out or having to rig some setting or going in to the thunderbolt window to hit some tab.

I prefer the Quantum thou when its not having sound issues. I am a power user of the Presonus daw and a sphere member and I really love these products. This was my first time using any of there hardware. I bought an Antelope Discrete, Twin x and the Quantum 2626 to try them all out.

Both the other units work flawlessly and I'm on a Windows laptop Alienware M17 about 2 years old.

So I am just coming here to support the thread. I'm down for a mass shout out on May 15.

Presonus if a fix does not come soon you will lose a hardware customer for ever. There is just to many options out there at this point to be going thru these type of shenanigan's.

I wouldn't mind so much as I understand that hardware have issues occasionally. But I'm not down with half bleep support.

For all the horrible threads I read about Antelope hardware there support has been top class and I have only needed it for technical hook up questions.

Just really dont want to be tied to a system that I have to use there plugins exclusively. Apollo or Antelope. Quantum 2626 has run the same amount of plugins on live instruments with less latency. Which is why I bought it.

I was all set to send the Antelope and Apollo back and then all the audio issues started happening.

Looking forward to a positive response from Presonus. Because as a do it yourself home artist just getting into this world of recording during covid I really love working with the software. It was the easiest for me to get moving with. So I am a fan and was really looking forward to purchasing more of there hardware and products.
by walkintheseshoes on Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:40 pm
Ok,
So i'm not holding my breath just yet but i've received the most positive news yet from tech support so far.
I'm not allowed to copy apparently so i'll have to rephrase...

Sorry you're having this issue, we will be reporting this to the development team.
Feedback from customers like you is a critical asset to improve our software and hardware.
We will alert you through a support ticket follow-up to notify you if and when an update is available and where to get it.

Fingers crossed everyone....

76 postsPage 3 of 4
1, 2, 3, 4